After 6 weeks of "real usage," Mossberg stands by his initial verdict of the iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a follow-up to his original review, Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal continued to laud Apple's iPhone 4 as "the best device in its class," while warning of issues with weak reception and dropped calls.

After 6 weeks of constant use with two iPhone 4 units, Mossberg found that in areas with "average or strong AT&T coverage" the iPhone 4 generally performed better than the iPhone 3GS, but performed worse than the 3GS in areas with weak coverage. One iPhone 4 was a review unit provided by Apple, while the other was purchased by Mossberg.

Mossberg took issue with Apple's claim that the iPhone 4 performs better than the iPhone 3GS in areas with poor reception. In his experience, compared to the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS actually dropped less calls and showed a 'no service' status less often.

Mossberg's conclusions were consistent with his original appraisal of the smartphone. In his initial review, Mossberg praised the iPhone 4's design and features, but criticized the lack of network choices.

Since AT&T "operates a network that has trouble connecting and maintaining calls in many cities" and has abandoned unlimited, flat-rate data plans, Mossberg was unable to recommend the smartphone to people in poor AT&T reception areas.

Regarding the 'death-grip' issue, Mossberg noted that gripping the phone would cause the signal bars to "fluctuate," but didn't find the issue to be of serious concern. In some cases, he noted, the bars actually rose when the left-hand seam between antennas was deliberately touched.

Mossberg concluded the post by acknowledging that the iPhone 4 worked better for him than the iPhone 3GS in decent coverage areas and reiterating that he does not recommend the handset to users who suffer from poor AT&T reception where they "live, work, or travel."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I wonder what Jimmy Fallon did with his iPhone 4. Did he end up keeping it or go over to the Android world? As for Mossberg, I notice the same thing too at times. The "death grip/touch" at times actually does give me one more bar. Odd.
  • Reply 2 of 145
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    After a month of usage, I've found that the reception issue isn't much of a bother, but the proximity sensor is maddening. Fix dat s**t now.

Other problems:

I send pics to my mom via Gmail taken with my iPhone 4's camera in portrait orientation and she receives them sideways. She uses Gmail's web interface.

Sometimes the person I'm calling sounds garbled (like digital noise) for 5-10 seconds, then it goes back to normal.

I sometimes get 2-3 second freezes in Safari -- especially when switching between tabs.

Accelerometer is sometimes slow to respond.
  • Reply 3 of 145
    Consumer Reports - take a hint from Mossberg... It's not too late to say, "hey, turns out it's a pretty damn good phone!" of course, that wouldn't drive web traffic and press coverage.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Yeah no problems with the "Death Grip" for me. Similar experiences and I have used it in a half dozen cities so far.

The proximity sensor glitch is a real pain though. Hope they have a fix working soon. I have called so many random numbers while checking voice mail, hung up on people, etc. Honestly, a lot of these "dropped calls" people are blaming on the "Death Grip" might actually be proximity sensor related issues with the end call button.
  • Reply 5 of 145
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Consumer Reports - take a hint from Mossberg... It's not too late to say, "hey, turns out it's a pretty damn good phone!" of course, that wouldn't drive web traffic and press coverage.

No ads on the Consumer Reports web site. None in the magazine either. In fact you can't even look at the content of the web site without being a member.

Confounding, I know.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That's a surprising positive review for the iPhone 4. With all the negative antenna pieces this is a breath of fresh air.
  • Reply 7 of 145
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Personally I have had no issues, either with reception or the proximity sensor, with my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 8 of 145
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Had my iP4 since day one, replacing my 2g iPhone. Antenna issues have been non-events for me. Best phone I've owned yet. This is coming from reception-poor San Francisco too!
  • Reply 9 of 145
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    I'd simulate surprise, but I (much like Consumer Reports) would rather not compromise my integrity - \
  • Reply 10 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

After a month of usage, I've found that the reception issue isn't much of a bother, but the proximity sensor is maddening. Fix dat s**t now.

I had the proximity issue twice tonight. The first time I was on hold in a queue that doesn?t play back any sound and inadvertently disconnected from the call. I have no idea how long I was disconnected before I noticed. On the second attempt, now being careful, I was talking to tech support and I started hearing some odd noises. Eric Cartman was repeating some sound bite I had clipped for someone as a ringtone which meant it was loaded into my ringtones. Somehow I access them which my cheek. I might jump on that 4.1 Beta.
  • Reply 11 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

I'd simulate surprise, but I would rather not compromise my [negative position on everything Apple].

Fixed.
  • Reply 12 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Actually it sounds like it's "pretty damn good" at everything EXCEPT being a phone.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Actually it sounds like it's "pretty damn good" at everything EXCEPT being a phone.

1.77% return rate.

0.55% apple care calls.

majority of the iphone 4 owners are perfectly happy with their iPhone 4.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

1.77% return rate.

0.55% apple care calls.

majority of the iphone 4 owners are perfectly happy with their iPhone 4.

If you say so. But there are other voices out there who say differently.
  • Reply 15 of 145
    grkhetangrkhetan Posts: 17member
    As expected, it seems iphone 4 customers are mostly happy -- only problem is so much negative press coverage has and is affecting greatly the decisions of would-be iphone 4 buyers.

If you see engadget, most iphone 4 related articles' comments sections are filled with hundreds of people bickering about apple and iphone 4.

iphone 4 customers -- if you feel you like the phone -- should contribute some comments there.. .just to keep the balance!
  • Reply 16 of 145
    tttttt Posts: 2member
    I can't understand what's wrong with AT&T network. How can be the so many places with poor reception? In my country (smaller than US of course) we don't have these problems. Our operators have almost 100% signal coverage. I am travelling through my country and through Europe, but personally I know only one place (in the mountains) where is bad mobile operator signal.

When I saw US movies where users can't make a phone call on a road, I was thinking, that it's not real problem. Now I see that it's real. It's problem also for other US mobile operators?

I am watching "antennagate" from the beginning and I must say that I didn't read bad reviews (reception issue) in Europe, only in the US. It's seems to me like only US problem.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So with that logic, based on the next AI article Android good at being a phone EXCEPT being a "smartphone".

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...theft_app.html
  • Reply 18 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttt View Post

I can't understand what's wrong with AT&T network. How can be the so many places with poor reception? In my country (smaller than US of course) we don't have these problems. Our operators have almost 100% signal coverage. I am travelling through my country and through Europe, but personally I know only one place (in the mountains) where is bad mobile operator signal.

When I saw US movies where users can't make a phone call on a road, I was thinking, that it's not real problem. Now I see that it's real. It's problem also for other US mobile operators?

I am watching "antennagate" from the beginning and I must say that I didn't read bad reviews (reception issue) in Europe, only in the US. It's seems to me like only US problem.

The higher fat-content in certain whining American trolls increases the skin conductivity with the between the two antennas. It can usually be resolved by avoiding sitting their fat backsides on leather sofas all day and night and venturing out in the daylight.

It has been blown out of proportion. It's obvious there are people out there with an agenda.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Personally I have had no issues, either with reception or the proximity sensor, with my iPhone 4.

Same here! Have been a happy iPhone 4 owner since the day of its release.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    What is interesting about the part quoted below is that Mossberg's claim that the iPhone 4 is worse in areas with low signals is exactly the opposite of what Anandtech said in their review of the iPhone 4. Gruber said something similar. I am at a loss to explain the discrepancy but it is intriguing that different people have such different experiences.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a follow-up to his original review, Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal continued to laud Apple's iPhone 4 as "the best device in its class," while warning of issues with weak reception and dropped calls.

After 6 weeks of constant use with two iPhone 4 units, Mossberg found that in areas with "average or strong AT&T coverage" the iPhone 4 generally performed better than the iPhone 3GS, but performed worse than the 3GS in areas with weak coverage."