Aussie paper says iPhone 4 antenna is no problem, Kiwi launch hits snag

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

By the end of the year We already have 10 Mbps in all big cities and even more than that.

Peak theoretical speeds that have no relevance to real life usage.
  • Reply 42 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Yeah, but peak theoretical speeds for as yet undeployed future technologies have lots of relevance to real life usage.
  • Reply 43 of 132
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

By the end of the year, 1/3 of US will have Verizon's LTE with 5-12 mbps average speed and 50 mbps peak.

It's just a matter of perspective. AT&T's network looks weak only because people are comparing it with Verizon's network. Quantitative analysis has shown that AT&T's network ain't that bad when comparing it with the rest of the world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

By the end of the year We already have 10 Mbps in all big cities and even more than that.

Quote:

So you claim 5-12 mbps is going to be live usage in your country ???? Boy oh boy you really are on slippery ground here.
  • Reply 44 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, but peak theoretical speeds for as yet undeployed future technologies have lots of relevance to real life usage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So you claim 5-12 mbps is going to be live usage in your country ???? Boy oh boy you really are on slippery ground here.

American carriers have always been honest about their wireless speed. You don't see Verizon hyping about their upcoming 50 mbps 4G network.

But we do see other carriers around the world hyping about their new 50 mbps LTE test speed.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...ney_lte_tests/

It's the same set-up as Verizon's network. American carriers don't hype useless theoretical peak speed, so people automatically think that American wireless networks are years behind the rest of the world.
  • Reply 45 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

American carriers have always been honest about their wireless speed. You don't see Verizon hyping about their upcoming 50 mbps 4G network.

Not quite. I think it was only earlier this year that AT&T took objection with T-Mobile USA calling their upcoming HSPA network '4G'.
  • Reply 46 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not quite. I think it was only earlier this year that AT&T took objection with T-Mobile USA calling their upcoming HSPA network '4G'.

They do have a German parent, so they are copying the bad habits from them.
  • Reply 47 of 132
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I guess we can all go back to blaming AT&T for the reception problems here?

No, it's time to accept the fact that there is no problem in the U.S. either. Just a small, vocal minority (most of which are trolls), assisted by american tech media, inflating a mole hill into a mountain. Only in the U.S. does the minority get this kind of attention.
  • Reply 48 of 132
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

definitely worth a
  • Reply 49 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

definitely worth a

Much better than other carriers around the world hyping their upcoming 50-100 mbps networks.
  • Reply 50 of 132
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Norway has no problems with iPhone 4, now Australia has no problems with it. It is only here in this country that people have problems with it because they have issues with AT&T.
  • Reply 51 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They do have a German parent, so they are copying the bad habits from them.

That's irrelevant. This is really a different topic, but Sprint calling their slow-ass WiMAX '4G' and the 3GSM initialisms with different categories aren't marketable so if T-Mobile wants to say HSPA+ has 4G speeds I'm cool with that since it can easily trounce Sprint's 4G speeds.
  • Reply 52 of 132
    Quote:

Much better than other carriers around the world hyping their upcoming 50-100 mbps networks.

couldn't care less about what is being hyped up for the future, more interested in comparing the here and now.
  • Reply 53 of 132
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Norway has no problems with iPhone 4, now Australia has no problems with it. It is only here in this country that people have problems with it because they have issues with AT&T.

Yes, and it's all the result of allowing the carriers to run wild and implement whatever wireless technology they wanted, resulting in an utterly and hopelessly fragmented bag of incompatible networks here.
  • Reply 54 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

couldn't care less about what is being hyped up for the future, more interested in comparing the here and now.

The here and now is that AT&T iphone users get the upper end of the speed scale when compare to other iphone users around the world.
  • Reply 55 of 132
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, and it's all the result of allowing the carriers to run wild and implement whatever wireless technology they wanted, resulting in an utterly and hopelessly fragmented bag of incompatible networks here.

Well, tell this to samab.I Ithink he or she doesn't want to agree with that fact.
  • Reply 56 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

All the recent European regulators have auction their spectrum on a technology neutral basis for the last 3-4 years. Many European regulators are currently formulating policies to take back the GSM only 900 MHz license and then auctioning it out on a technology neutral basis.

It is another instance where people thought American system was backward --- and then years later Europe copied them.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2007/05...pean-strategy/
  • Reply 57 of 132
    Quote:

The here and now is that AT&T iphone users get the upper end of the speed scale when compare to other iphone users around the world.

signal strength seems to be an entirely different matter. your defensiveness on this is lollable.
  • Reply 58 of 132
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah. I'm in Canada but got the same sad news.

I really am pissed at how badly Apple handles it's international product launches. Right up until hours before the release of the product, there's no pre-orders, and worse no information (at all!) on what they are actually going to do or what their policies are going to be. It's as if Apple figures it's job is "done" when the truck finally drives up to the international location and dumps a load of boxes. All they care about is shovelling out the product, there is no customer care, and no communication beyond the rumours you hear on the web.

I phoned my local Apple store last night and was told that the managers had been specifically instructed by Apple headquarters not to give out *any* information on sales before the actual launch today. It's not like I was asking for inside info either. I was asking stuff like "will I be *able* to buy it online?" and they stonewalled me and said they were under strict orders not to communicate *anything* to the customer.

I know it's nice for Apple that a lot of obsessive types take the day off from work and line up just on the possibility that the iPhone will be for sale, but they shouldn't expect all their sales to be that way. If I now have to wait three or four more weeks, why the f*ck couldn't I pre-order it three weeks ago? If they have stock in the store, why can't I set my order for in store pickup? If I was able to take the day off work, I could just walk into the Apple store and buy one but now I have to wait three weeks even though I live within fifteen minutes of the Apple store. Alternatively, I could have called in sick or something and went downtown to line up with all the losers, but because they won't tell you how many they have (even wild approximations are verboten apparently), one could line up for hours and not get one.

Absolutely abysmal customer service if you ask me. My local Apple store has joined the ranks of places like WallMart and RadioShack in my town. It *looks* like an Apple store, but it runs like any other run-of-the-mill crappy department store.

That's not exactly poor customer service. They are trying to keep up with huge demand, and having a hard time with it. Their other option could have been to put off launching it in more countries until they had it under control in the countries that it is currently available, but that certainly wouldn't have helped you. 3-4 weeks is not the end of the world. I pre-ordered mine before the release date in the US and still had to wait two weeks after release because the orders were too many. Yet they still have stock in the store on release day. That is common practice. Apple generally has very high marks for customer service.
  • Reply 59 of 132
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

All the recent European regulators have auction their spectrum on a technology neutral basis for the last 3-4 years. Many European regulators are currently formulating policies to take back the GSM only 900 MHz license and then auctioning it out on a technology neutral basis.

It is another instance where people thought American system was backward --- and then years later Europe copied them.

Well, the mistake in your reasoning is assuming that they are a) doing so for rational reasons and b) that copying the US is a good thing. I think the only thing the EU will accomplish is to turn their wireless networks into as big a mess as ours are. The American system is a huge negative, and the EU will soon discover that they've made a huge mistake.
  • Reply 60 of 132
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No, it's time to accept the fact that there is no problem in the U.S. either. Just a small, vocal minority (most of which are trolls), assisted by american tech media, inflating a mole hill into a mountain. Only in the U.S. does the minority get this kind of attention.

Agreed. Its a minor inconvenience for a small, but vocal minority in a small coverage area.