Starting with iPad, Apple began using its own Maps location databases

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 37
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    "Apple continues to on the search giant " - apple insider



    Gotta fix that.



    Anyways, I think bing has a street view feature as well, I don't think they are using google's images, so it's not impossible to replicate. Just costly.



    That said since apple is diversifying their search providers, why not offer Google AND Bing interface for maps. Geolocation handled by Apple and would be maps provider independent. In a few years time Apple could actually amass enough images to launch their own service (if still necessary).
  • Reply 22 of 37
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    The iPhone is the killer app for killer apps.



    Apple has the strongest single built in outlet for whatever they want to do now.



    Google has committed an ethical "no-no" buy being on Apples board while creating a competing product.



    they entered the phone business, so Apple enters the Maps business.



    Next, they will being a service that gets you to the "core" of the internet.



    You know what that will be? Apple will have entered the "search" business.



    It will start on the iPhone and Mac OS X.7



    i am sure that Jobs still has good relations with Google, but he also wouldn't mind them being subservient to him.



    I think the worst enemy you can have in tech is Steve Jobs with an agenda of vengeance. It is not pretty. He does alright moving things along naturally, but give that man a mission to "right" some "wrong" and the world turns over.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    It makes sense that Apple would want to have control over this feature. They have different design requirements then google and this is central to a lot of apps. I doubt this really has to do with any sort or rivalry. Apple's engineers defend their turf. These decisions are always made for engineering reasons, not marketing reasons.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    all iOS devices still rely on Google's Street View feature as well.





    Do I have Google Street View on my iOS devices? If so where do I access it?
  • Reply 25 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

    ...I think the worst enemy you can have in tech is Steve Jobs with an agenda of vengeance. It is not pretty. He does alright moving things along naturally, but give that man a mission to "right" some "wrong" and the world turns over.



    Amelio learned that real quick when he was just spinning on his own axis and having Steve as his special consultant doing nothing and revealing to Steve that he knew nothing about how to best leverage NeXT with Apple.



    Things changed like flicking a switch the day the board ousted Gil and us NeXT folks finally got to get off the side lines.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    7600/1327600/132 Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post




    I assume you meant leak (verb) instead of leek (noun) since I have never heard of a giant green onion-like tuber passing on information.





    I have.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    (Intended to be humorous - not anal!)



  • Reply 27 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Do I have Google Street View on my iOS devices? If so where do I access it?



    Yes, on your iPhone, in the Maps application. But not all locations have it. If the pin drop has a "person" icon beside it, click on it to see Street View. As an example, go to Maps, search for "Empire State Building". Click on the person icon beside the pin drop.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    This article seems off.



    I think you are confusing the mapping data (i.e., the maps with the street names, etc.) with the location data (i.e., position without GPS, using WiFi and cell tower triangulation). The latter is what SkyHook does.



    I think Apple is still using Google maps for its mapping DB, but is no longer using SkyHook for its non-GPS positioning system.



    I agree, if you review the original ARS Technica article, this appears to be the case.



    Apple probably has a database of AT&T towers and hotspots and is now using this for triangulation. This probably works well enough to make SkyHook unnecessary.



    I doubt Apple would be interested in spending the time/money to try and keep all of the world accurately mapped. As long as 3rd-party providers remain relatively "open", Apple would probably rather focus on finding new ways to use this data in useful ways.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post


    The iPhone is the killer app for killer apps.



    Apple has the strongest single built in outlet for whatever they want to do now.



    Google has committed an ethical "no-no" buy being on Apples board while creating a competing product.



    they entered the phone business, so Apple enters the Maps business.



    Next, they will being a service that gets you to the "core" of the internet.



    You know what that will be? Apple will have entered the "search" business.



    It will start on the iPhone and Mac OS X.7



    i am sure that Jobs still has good relations with Google, but he also wouldn't mind them being subservient to him.



    I think the worst enemy you can have in tech is Steve Jobs with an agenda of vengeance. It is not pretty. He does alright moving things along naturally, but give that man a mission to "right" some "wrong" and the world turns over.



    Which is probably why Google entered the phone business in the first place. Apple dominating the smartphone market gives them huge power. They can easily switch from using Google services like maps or search to those of a rival. Most people just use the default options. Google needed to release Android to ensure no one company gains a smartphone monopoly that can be used against Google.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post


    Which is probably why Google entered the phone business in the first place. Apple dominating the smartphone market gives them huge power. They can easily switch from using Google services like maps or search to those of a rival. Most people just use the default options. Google needed to release Android to ensure no one company gains a smartphone monopoly that can be used against Google.



    Like Google does with Search?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    In the 90's Apple almost went under on the perception that it MS would not maintain Word/Office - particularly in terms of cross platform compatibility. Apple never wants to be dependent again on any third party for what is a core functionality.



    For example, Safari was developed so that Apple could assure that there would always be at least one browser that would function correctly, according to the open specs, and run their web applications (MobileMe mail, galleries, etc.).
  • Reply 32 of 37
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post


    Google needed to release Android to ensure no one company gains a smartphone monopoly that can be used against Google.



    They also wanted to expand their ad business into the mobile space, and again ( as you noted) be assured of access.



    Personally, I think the competition is a good thing. I have faith in Apple's ability to stay ahead of the innovation curve, but I would not want to see them go totally unchallenged.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post


    Seeing it spelled out like that, makes it even more troubling. Once this smartphone market gets saturated and there are (theoretically) no more people to pull into it, does that mean Google will share more of each person's information until there is nothing left to keep secret? I would say "don't sign me up", but what alternative is there? All search companies do it, it seems.



    My understanding is that Ask don't http://www.ask.com . If you turn on the Eraser feature, they say they will not keep any record of your search history.



    If you use multiple search engines and don't just slavishly use one, then no one company has a complete record of your activities.



    Google Analytics is the one I really don't like.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    My understanding is that Ask don't http://www.ask.com . If you turn on the Eraser feature, they say they will not keep any record of your search history.



    If you use multiple search engines and don't just slavishly use one, then no one company has a complete record of your activities.



    Google Analytics is the one I really don't like.



    There's also scroogle...



    http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm



    They are just a proxy to google, so it's the same search information and they don't store the information for long.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Good, I'm all for Apple being independent of other services.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Apple can make pretty devices, but if they get into software again they will fail hard again. And LOL at them trying to implement anything that involves a server or a search feature.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post


    Apple can make pretty devices, but if they get into software again they will fail hard again. And LOL at them trying to implement anything that involves a server or a search feature.



    OSX is software. Did that fail hard? iOS is software. Failed hard? iWork is software. Did it fail hard? Filemaker is software, has it failed hard? Final Cut? Aperture? Safari? iPhoto? iMovie? All hard fails?



    I don't know about search engines, but I'd be surprised if they entered that market. Microsoft has been failing hard in that business for decades.
Sign In or Register to comment.