UK using iPad to train soldiers for Afghan operations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I bet they didn't have to try that hard. Surely Apple keep some aside to give quickly to people like this in the knowledge that it will get them yet more positive (and free) press!

Not really. Apple doesn't do that, but I doubt they got them in stores. If you order on-line they will eventually arrive. All online orders (enterprise or not), go through the same channel. They do have bulk packs for larger purchases though.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).

Yeah, marching around in combat gear on dusty mountain tracks in Afghanistan with a "regular ol PC laptop" strapped to your vest sure would work "just as well or better" than a 1,5 pound 9 inch iPad. Just as well or better. Uhu. Sure.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Not really. Apple doesn't do that, but I doubt they got them in stores. If you order on-line they will eventually arrive. All online orders (enterprise or not), go through the same channel. They do have bulk packs for larger purchases though.

Apple has a "government" sales team. They handle big customers like the army.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Bullets fuck?

Which is why you want to stop them. Stop the fucking bullets - otherwise you have all these little bullets running around and when they can't fuck well half of them get real ornery and the other half develop blue casings.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    The ipad can't be used as a bullet shield. EPIC fail!

Seriously though I don't see what use a tablet could have...hehehe.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpilkington View Post

Unless an iPad can stop a fucking bullet, its value in Afghanistan is nominal.

Well maybe it can....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/05/i...t-for-soldier/
  • Reply 27 of 43
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    The real good news here is that, after these soldiers get killed, the Afghans will be able to take their iPads along with their guns. I applaud Apple's innovative use of tech to empower the oppressed.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

IMO the real benefit is instant on and inherent touch ability(common in mil hardware interfaces). Otherwise a regular ol PC or mac laptop should work just as well or better. I'm waiting for ability to print(easily) and better basic file storage/transfer in v2(hopefully).

May I ask, what you would like to print... and why?

For the majority of things, printing is unnecessary and even undesirable, because you can't "search" it, tag it, work with the information further (copy/paste/edit), whatever. In most cases it is thrown away after reading once, or filed away not to be looked at again for years.

My take on it, and I'm in design and advertising where reams of paper are wasted frivolously and daily (not be me though).
  • Reply 29 of 43
    g.o.a.tg.o.a.t Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \

I doubt they're firing bullets at them at the Royal Artillery School in Wiltshire\
  • Reply 30 of 43
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the ipad used as a tool to train our young boys and girls the ways of war ,could save some lives .

on both sides .

i hope so ..

peace

• Reply 31 of 43
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Hope they are not getting special pricing or quantity-dsicount on this. No wonder, iPad is still hard to get.

No matter what they are using it for, Apple should not get into the KILLING-BUSINESS. Once the military get into Apple products, chances are there will be export restrictions. And who knows what else.

I don't like it at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7qtjdxl04Q

The Forces discount Apple offers doesn't apply to iPad/iPhones but I'm sure a bulk buy can be negotiated. Regardless I'm very sure an off the shelf iPad is significantly cheaper than what BAe would charge to deliver a desktop PC for training purposes.

Quote:

A logical and reasoned argument - well done you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

May I ask, what you would like to print... and why?

For the majority of things, printing is unnecessary and even undesirable, because you can't "search" it, tag it, work with the information further (copy/paste/edit), whatever. In most cases it is thrown away after reading once, or filed away not to be looked at again for years.

My take on it, and I'm in design and advertising where reams of paper are wasted frivolously and daily (not be me though).

Some so-called E-Tickets still require printing - which whilst ferking stupid on the part of those who insist upon it - would be handy from your iOS device.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Bullets fuck?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Using an iPad to train soldiers is useless since iPads can not stop bullets? \

Quote:

Windows PC's need to be able to stop bullets, since people are more likely to get frustrated and try to shoot the fucker!

Best thread this whole fucking week.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am happy they can get them! I want to buy another and they are like trying to find rocking horse droppings!

I found a damaged one in a trash can along with Steve Jobs' humility and a coloured rubber band.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well... I guess there really is 'An App For That' !

iBulletStopperHD for iPad

Also, now available, iKillU HD
  • Reply 35 of 43
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

The real good news here is that, after these soldiers get killed, the Afghans will be able to take their iPads along with their guns. I applaud Apple's innovative use of tech to empower the oppressed.

Maybe the Afghans can do a map search on an ipad to find you and give you a taste of what Taliban oppression is.

Please Apple add stupid Bedouin to your map data so that real afghans can target him.

That would be Apple's innovative use of tech to reduce idiots.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

How is it good news that a soldier has been killed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Maybe the Afghans can do a map search on an ipad to find you and give you a taste of what Taliban oppression is.

Please Apple add stupid Bedouin to your map data so that real afghans can target him.

That would be Apple's innovative use of tech to reduce idiots.

Agreed, but maybe there is a tracking device ie GPS that drones can home in on so they can launch one of these http://www.google.com/images?client=...d=0CDsQsAQwAw:).
  • Reply 37 of 43
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

They're trying to add the camera which people expected in the iPad!
  • Reply 38 of 43
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

eh?

Oh for Frak sake. Gonna be a spelling nazi fag?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I must disagree with you on a few points. I think the motion sensors and the multiple axis gyro could give a more realistic or imersive experince to the trainie and the 10-12 hour battery gives it a big advantage. I think that most laptops with that kind of graphics performance would not be able to run on battery very long and wouldn't really be cheaper. And coming from my mostly antedodal observations most portabels thAT can go 12 hours on a charge have weak graphics peformance.

"Weak graphics performance"? You obviously haven't used an iPad. The graphics are pretty damn good for a tablet device...
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Windows PC's need to be able to stop bullets, since people are more likely to get frustrated and try to shoot the fucker!

Along with their Xbox 360's....