Stanford School of Medicine equipping students with Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The iPad is making inroads in all kinds of industries and revolutionizing portable computing like no computer I've seen before.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Only if they can sterilize them.

Probably easier to sterilize than most tablet computers. I bet a sealed case can be made so it can be wiped down with alcohol cleaners.

I was thinking the medical field is one of the major markets that tablet computers had.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The School of Medicine at Stanford University has adopted Apple's iPad, providing the device to all incoming first year medical students and Master of Medicine students.

Why only first year students? Next semester, my university is also giving away iPads to incoming freshmen and new transfer students only. I'm sorry, I'm paying the same tuition as them -- where's my free iPad? I'm sure they're inflating everyone's tuition to cover the cost, so why should I have to subsidize their iPads?
  • Reply 24 of 45
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Under the old medical school teaching system, the average class generated about 100 pages of classes notes/day via the note taking service. Do the math assuming only 150 days of classes/year... even if for just 2 years. This is addition to the textbooks that are mostly bulky. Even in residency, most text books are heavy... medicine, surgery, ent, neuro, etc. Worse, is that they get out dated and have to be replaced. It is hard to carry any books around, quick access or even to refer them around the house or office/hospital.

My estimate is that the average medical student reads a minimum of about 20,000 pages during the 4 years of medical school. Plus what is read during residency. The actual number of pages read is much higher. Then there are countless medical journals.

The iPad is great device, though some improvements could be added over time:

1. Higher resolution screen like the iPhone 4.0.

2. More storage memory to store images and video in hi resolution, like path slides, radiology images, etc.

3. Camera for quick acquisition and transmission of images for consultation and record over a secure HIPPA compliant system.

Not complaining... what we got is beyond expectation and a good start.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

When college books stores lose that extra revenue from not selling as many text they will just increase the cost of tuition.

Not really. The college book store will just go "digital" and just transition to selling the electronic text when they need to.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I had this discussion with a green blogger some time back, he assumed that an SD card per movie for distribution would be better for the environment than an optical disc because it's a lot smaller than the disc that it replaced, he gave figures on the amount of water, oil & energy it takes to make a disc, & packaging, but didn't bother to find info on equivalent figures on the SD card to make a comparision. I dug up information showing that one SD card takes a lot more to make than a single optical disc & packaging than the SD card & packaging..

Well probably at this time, only because each SD card is packaged separately rather than in bulk like CD/DVD. However in the long run, when SD cards replace optical media, which they will... I think the production costs (energy, packaging etc.) will be much lower.

SD cards also won't be with us very long, since almost everything will be going wireless transfer, and with built in SSDs. Slots of all kinds will disappear, and when ultra-fast transfer speeds are needed, I fully expect LightPeak will become the standard connect for everything.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Given the costs of shipping storage and handling in the store - not to mention (even cheap student) staffing to stock bookshelves - this is a win for them too. Set up a row of simple kiosks to pay for and download textbooks directly to your computer or iPad, yeah that is the way to go. Less staffing required, virtually no storage, shipping or handling. Space requirements are smaller as well, heck you could even have a "bookstore app" for that - once on campus your bookstore app checks your location and asks for validation and your class list, downloads your textbooks and supporting material and you're done.

I should have read a little further. This is exactly what I meant in a reply to a previous post.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Every student in America should be given an iPad. No more books. The cost of an iPad is cheaper than a semester cost of books in most colleges, and even in many high schools across the country.

Save the trees, save the environment! Free iPad for all. No more wars, let's use the money for school.

Yup, if every bullet was a download, if every gun was an iPad, every if missile was a crate of iPads. The world would be better off indeed.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The iPad is making inroads in all kinds of industries and revolutionizing portable computing like no computer I've seen before.

It is the new platform beyond the Mac and will have a far, far, further reach.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    My brother is retired now, a surgeon in Atlanta for many years. I was the kid younger brother when he started going to med school. The enormous number of huge books that he had to lug around was probably the thing I remember most. I also remember him poring over his messy notes, pages all curled, some wet from a rainstorm, and he'd work like heck trying to decipher his hurried handwriting. Imagine if all that changed, or if he could simply have recorded audio or video of important parts of the lecture. His shoulders would probably be less hunched than they are now.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

When college books stores lose that extra revenue from not selling as many text they will just increase the cost of tuition.

Textbook publishers make the big money from these limited printings of expensive volumes. Notice the prices on them? And the bookstores don't pay anything but rent to the colleges.

Good place to buy computers, though, with your student card.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yea right. Nothing but WinXP terminals in large hospitals that constantly need reboots to update their patient records. Yeah, that's a secure, real-time environment.

There are lots of horror stories here. Like the bypass operation where some idiot left the Windows heart monitor connected to the Internet, and it was patch Tuesday. Bong! the machines all rebooted right at the crucial moment of the operation.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Probably easier to sterilize than most tablet computers. I bet a sealed case can be made so it can be wiped down with alcohol cleaners.

I was thinking the medical field is one of the major markets that tablet computers had.

There will be a need for special iPad covers for this kind of work, but it's hardly a stretch to imagine that.

As for environmental damage from books vs iPads, it's not really that clear cut. Books can be made with much less damage than they currently do. Fast growing, sustainable forests can do better than the electricity usage from iPads or other e-book readers and with more re-use (the ultimate way to be environmentally friendly) they can be better too.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

There are lots of horror stories here. Like the bypass operation where some idiot left the Windows heart monitor connected to the Internet, and it was patch Tuesday. Bong! the machines all rebooted right at the crucial moment of the operation.

It would be really unlikely, but it would be pretty bad to have an iPad left inside you!
  • Reply 35 of 45
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

There will be a need for special iPad covers for this kind of work, but it's hardly a stretch to imagine that.

As for environmental damage from books vs iPads, it's not really that clear cut. Books can be made with much less damage than they currently do. Fast growing, sustainable forests can do better than the electricity usage from iPads or other e-book readers and with more re-use (the ultimate way to be environmentally friendly) they can be better too.

Surgeons are already using them inside sterile bags. Moreover, vinyl surgical gloves do not interfere with ones ability to use the device.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    jimdejimde Posts: 1member
    You will have to buy the books through iTunes. And Apple will get its cut off the top. Imagine how much money Apple will make with a cut of every textbook sold...
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It is the new platform beyond the Mac and will have a far, far, further reach.

This is true. For those of you old enough to remember, the Apple II was the premier device of its kind in its time. But that Apple corp. did not move quickly or well enough to thwart IBM and Microsoft and almost lost everything had it not been for all of us fanboys. Apple must continue to inovate and adapt. But for now the IPad is absolutely wonderful.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

I don't work there so don't hate me, but my iPhone is well protected by the Otterbox Defender series case. I know they make one for iPad. I'm sure there are other brands, but that is what I use. They also make water resistant ones, which are probably capable of a full alcohol wipe-down.

I assume the OP was joking, but it's totally feasible.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDe View Post

You will have to buy the books through iTunes. And Apple will get its cut off the top. Imagine how much money Apple will make with a cut of every textbook sold...

This was an obvious use before the thing even launched. iTunes U didn't come out of nowhere. Plenty of people on these forums also predicted it would take over the medical field as well.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    As much as the environmentally active folks want the rest of the world to go green, it's not going to happen overnight. I, and many other business owners are still waiting for native printing. I depend upon printed material as do the majority of academia. When native printing comes to the iPad, I'll gladly lay down money and purchase them for myself and my staff.