iPad apps more involving for users, valuable for developers than iPhone

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
iPad users spend three times longer playing games than on the iPhone, and developers also earn more per user from in-app advertising on Apple's touchscreen tablet, according to a new study.

Mobclix, a mobile ad exchange network for devices like the iPhone and iPad, released on Monday new statistics on iOS devices for the month of July. Unsurprisingly, games are the largest category of software on the iPad App Store, representing 20 percent of all options.

Within that category, users spend far more time using their iPad than on the iPhone. The study found that iPad users will play the same game three times longer than they would on the iPhone.

iPad applications also earn developers more money for advertising, in terms of total users. iPad software has an ECPM, or effective cost per thousand impressions, that is five times higher than on the iPhone. ECPM is determined by the dividing total earnings by ad impressions and multiplying by a thousand. ECPM can be used to compare ad earnings even when the competing sample sizes are vastly different.

Still, the potential for downloads and active users on the iPad remains a fraction of the iPhone market, as Apple's smartphone has a much larger install base compared to the iPad, which just launched in April.

Mobclix also found that users are far more likely to view an ad if it features rich media video. Ads with video were 10.7 times more likely to garner a response from iPad users than a traditional display ad.

That's good news for Apple's own advertising network, dubbed iAd. Launched in July, the iAd network features rich media advertisements that work like an "app within an app," complete with videos and interactive features like games. Apple has said it expects its iAd network to take up half of the mobile market by the end of 2010.

However, iAds are not yet available on the iPad, as the advertising network requires iOS 4.0. A recent report alleged that Apple will bring iOS 4 and the iAd network to iPad users in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    So what are the eCPMs for iPhone and iPad? In Flash games you get 0.20USD - 1.20USD, in general.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    iPad is missing some serious productivity apps, and I think it's currently an API limitation. In my opinion, the iPad must gain a solid filing-system so we can use files across different apps and have the ability to attach and upload files to the internet. Luckily, SJ hinted that a filing system is in the works. I would like to see more serious applications such as QuickBooks, MS Office, and even DreamWeaver and FontBook!

A FaceBook app is seriously missing.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Nobody watches Jobs' keynotes. He explains it all plain and simple.

-----=====********** VS ***********=====-----

• Reply 4 of 15
    ^^
  • Reply 5 of 15
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

iPad is missing some serious productivity apps, and I think it's currently an API limitation. In my opinion, the iPad must gain a solid filing-system so we can use files across different apps and have the ability to attach and upload files to the internet. Luckily, SJ hinted that a filing system is in the works. I would like to see more serious applications such as QuickBooks, MS Office, and even DreamWeaver and FontBook!

for facebook with iPad you might as well use the website, although I do hope that M$ Office etc are on their way.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLikeBananas View Post

TBH, involving is mainly because of the bigger screen, and valuble is because they charge twice as much. Devs should (like the good ones do atm) make an IDENTICLE version of the iPad. It wouldn't be hard to convert it to iP4, then you could just downgrade the graphics.

The number of pixels is pretty similar in iPhone 4 (960x640) and iPad (1024x768), but the form factor is so different that the user interaction has to be completely re-thought out. In addition, the iPad really encourages use in any orientation while with the iPhone it rarely matters if you lock someone into portrait. In addition, the expectation is that the iPhone will always be in the user's pocket and they're most likely to pull it out to get a particular piece of information... the iPad expectation is that it will be sitting on someone's coffee table or desk and they'll be looking to spend a little more time with it to accomplish some task.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLikeBananas View Post

Yeah, but I mean if you made an app, say flight control, then you could do a near identicle version of it on iPad (which they have) and update the iPhone with any new features (which they did). This relates to a near identicle UI. Others, however completely re-do the design on the iPad, and leave the iPhone with an old version.

Well, if all you do is update your graphics a bit on the iPad (for example, for a game), you'd probably better release it as a universal app, or you are going to get hit in the reviews for charging twice for essentially the same software, and rightly so. And, most iPad apps should be able to offer the user a richer experience than the same app on the iPhone, so it makes sense for developers to develop a separate version for the iPad in that case.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Which files across which apps? The iWork apps already include a media browser. I think this approach makes sense for this interface, more than a generic filing system. Just because this approach is different, does not necessarily mean it's deficient. As for "serious" apps, iWork is entirely serious. I don't think Microsoft is interested in this platform, and I don't imagine that their kitchen sink approach to application design would suit it anyway. A Facebook app just for the iPad would be pretty much irrelevant, since the standard browser view works for everything, and if it's just a matter of making making a quick post or uploading a photo, the iPhone app works fine.

I don't know about FontBook, but I would like to see the ability to add fonts to the iPad. That would help with Keynote presentations imported from the Mac, for sure.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

for facebook with iPad you might as well use the website, although I do hope that M$ Office etc are on their way.

I do use the website however, some important features do not work such as instant messaging.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPad apps more involving for users, valuable for developers than iPhone

"iPad apps more involving for users, more valuable for developers than iPhone."
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I don't like it when developers make a version for iPad and give it another name so they can make more money from the same application.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Ads with video (or audio) certainly get a response from me

(I know, it doesn?t have to play until you tap.)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

You just lost me with the whole serious angle.

QuickBooks for OS X is still a work in progress, let alone the iPad. Screw Dreamweaver. MS Office I can see, but I'd rather see an enhanced iWorks for iPad and OpenOffice Cloud on the iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    My family loves the iPad. We are constantly fighting over who uses it. And yes, we do find ourselves playing games on it longer than an iPhone and iPod touch.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Of course they play more games on their phones.. It's more portable. I think the Ipad is just for practical apps that can serve you at work or on vacation.. Like Skype for example.