Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 in late October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Rumour has it that there is iLife 2010 and iWork 2010 in the pipes and September/October is a good guess on the release date. Rumour also has it that there is an iPad update in the works for the same time period.

Since iWork is already on the iPad (albeit in beta form), it would seem a no brainer that we are in for an killer update of iWork for the PC as well as mobile, sometimes in the next couple of months. I don't see how they can get away with the feeble productivity software situation on the iPad for very long, and I expect that exigency to drive faster revisions of iWork than we are used to.

I think you mean iLife and iWork 11.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    xamianxamian Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

How is that different from an iPhone, or iTunes, or iLife... or Google... or anything else with a market majority?

Seriously, the MS bashng is a bit 20th century guys. Office is almost ubiquitous and people who say what you say, don't depend on it. This is a good thing, and $119 is great value for 4 powerful applications.

Don't you mean three applications? Messenger is the fourth, but can be freely downloaded from Microsoft's website.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Starting at $119, Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 includes Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Messenger.

The fact that Student/Home edition used to include Entourage and now doesn't include that or Outlook is a bit disappointing. Dropping one app=$30 savings. Adding the dropped app back in=$80.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Why doesn't MS release a package with both Windows and Office (either Windows or Mac versions) directed at Mac owners?
  • Reply 24 of 60
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Microsoft Office supports OpenDocument Text, Spreadsheet and Presentation. I agree with you on the price though. I wouldn't pay that much if all I'm doing is writing some letter or creating a pamphlet at home.

Support for ODF in Office is terrible. http://www.odfalliance.org/blog/inde...t_falls_short/

No one expects support to really work though...if it did Microsoft would actually have to compete and they certainly do not want to that with their cash cow, Office
  • Reply 25 of 60
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:

How is that different from an iPhone, or iTunes, or iLife... or Google... or anything else with a market majority?

Not sure what this has to do with my point. Can you elaborate?

Quote:

Seriously, the MS bashng is a bit 20th century guys. Office is almost ubiquitous and people who say what you say, don't depend on it. This is a good thing, and $119 is great value for 4 powerful applications.

People who say what i say are clued into the perils of vendor lock-in. While you may enjoy paying massive sums of cash to Microsoft for Office, I do not. i would rather invest my money in my people rather than pad Microsoft's bottom line by being locked into their proprietary file formats and protocols. If i create it, it is my data, not Microsoft's.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft announced Monday that Office for Mac 2011 will arrive at the end of October

Trick-or-treat? (Sorry it was just too good of a set-up to pass up.)
  • Reply 27 of 60
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    But will it work with Spaces??
  • Reply 28 of 60
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

People who say what i say are clued into the perils of vendor lock-in. While you may enjoy paying massive sums of cash to Microsoft for Office, I do not. i would rather invest my money in my people rather than pad Microsoft's bottom line by being locked into their proprietary file formats and protocols. If i create it, it is my data, not Microsoft's.

If you're working in your own isolated world and only creating internal documents, that's fine. But for any of the companies (and their clients) who I've ever worked for, everyone expects documents in native Word or Excel formats with no file conversion compromises. Most now support the .docx and xlsx file formats, but sometimes, even that's a stretch.

And I even prefer Entourage to Apple's mail program and Outlook will be even better. Of course Keynote kills Powerpoint, but I can only use Keynote if I bring my Mac along to the presentations.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    This is one of the only times I can think of where people are complaining about the price of something when a 20% price reduction was announced for a new version. And for those why say "who needs it?", I doubt MS would go to the effort and expense of rewriting this suite if the answer is "few, if anyone".
  • Reply 30 of 60
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    I did upgrade to the last version (Office 2008 for Mac) but find that I only use these apps to view old files. For new projects I use the Apple iWork apps. I?m not planning to upgrade this time around. Too expensive for software that isn?t used much.

The main reason I don?t use Word or Excel is that they?ve become much too complicated. I think they invented the term ?bloatware.? There are so many features that I would never need or use.

I think Microsoft is in the ?software updates business.? That?s how they generate revenue. But they want to charge such high prices for their upgrades that they?re forced to add many changes for justification.

These apps have evolved from version 1, a simple but fun sports car, to a family sedan, then an SUV, then a Greyhound Bus, and now something even bigger and more cumbersome. I?ll pass this time around.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    ctwisectwise Posts: 48member
    This update seems like a no-brainer for people who use Macs in businesses. I have to effectively support myself. As long as no one notices that I'm using a Mac, no one cares. That means I have to consume and create MS Office documents with high fidelity. The only high-fidelity option is Microsoft Office 2008.

The sticking points have been that Office 2008 still isn't 100% compatible and that it didn't support macros. In practice the missing macro support only really mattered with Excel files, and there it mattered quite a lot. The new version promises to close both gaps.

As for Outlook, I could care less. Mail.app works perfectly for me when it comes to mail and calendar Exchange integration. Those few tasks it doesn't support, like Out of Office and password changing, I can use the Outlook web interface for.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Listen . . . hear that?

That's the sound of me not caring. This article was nothing but PR speak.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Every decent product is a vendor lock in though. I like my iPhone and Mac, but there's no denying that they lock me into Apple.

Sounds like a reasonable price, if all you want is to do some typing there always Office online for free. Also has anyone tried the online version of office on an iPad? Does it work? I tried on my iPhone once and it loaded but the phone lacked the power to actually do anything at speed. Plus there was a huge memory issue.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    It's the Pong of Office suites. iWorks 2011 will be released next month -- probably in a discount pack with iLife 2011. I expect to see a 64 bit version of iWorks on Amazon for half of what a 32 bit version of Office 2011 will cost.

Oh, and did I mention Microsoft's corny icons make me want to vomit?
  • Reply 35 of 60
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

It's the Pong of Office suites. iWorks 2011 will be released next month -- probably in a discount pack with iLife 2011. I expect to see a 64 bit version of iWorks on Amazon for half of what a 32 bit version of Office 2011 will cost.

really they're not that bad- have you seen the office 2010 icons?!
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, I'm going to have to buy that instead of iWork. It'll save me a lot of confusion and conversion problems. Sorry Apple.

I tried very hard to go iWork, but sorry it just does not work well enough in a MS Office dominated world. I dont have to pay for any of it so it does not matter to me.

Office 2010 on Windows is simply hands down better than anything on the Mac, so Parallels is where I do my Office work these days.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    When discussing Microsoft Office for Mac, both Microsoft and people on these boards hardly ever discuss functionality or feature parity compared to the Windows versions. Instead, any discussion of Office for Mac usually centers around user interface appearance.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If computer icons make you want to vomit, then I think you have some serious issues.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Why doesn't MS release a package with both Windows and Office (either Windows or Mac versions) directed at Mac owners?

Because Office 2010 sold to Mac users wouldn't work without either Boot Camp or a virtual machine. And Microsoft wouldn't sell Office 2010 to Mac users without a valid Windows product key. And since they don't make Parallels or VMware Fusion, virtualization is out of the question.

What it breaks down to is that most Mac users shouldn't need Office 2010 and most Windows users shouldn't need Office 2011.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

really they're not that bad- have you seen the office 2010 icons?!

You're jesting of course?