Rumored iTunes cloud service could be delayed further

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I really can't figure out why Apple bought Lala and shut it down with no replacement in sight. Spending millions of dollars to alienate customers seems like a really stupid move.

Apple buys companies for their IP, not their user base. They then take that IP and tweak it for their own use but only when they see it fits in their business model.

Building a single massive data center simply for media streaming is unlikely. You would be better off with several smaller distributed data centers. The only Apple-esk purpose I can think of for a big massive new data center is a repository for user data, something as simple as disk on the Internet. With their push and emphasis on the mobile device market it is a logical enhancement to store and retrieve your data from anywhere. Wrap that around a smart MobileMe experience and you have another Apple coup, re-inventing something that already exists but making it seamless and highly usable.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    How does Pandora fit into all of this? Is it private, and, if so, if it was bought and shut down, could someone easily make another version to take its place? My son and his friend don't buy much from itunes - they just stream Pandora. They were bummed out on a recent ski trip, when they couldn't stream it on their 3G phones; however, we couldn't get ATT anyway, due to too much traffic on the skislopes, so having your tunes on the device seems more reasonable for the foreseeable future.

With all the fantasy talk about acquisitions, wouldn't it be lovely for Apple to buy ATT, and maybe they can build a more robust network (ha!). Didn't Google seriously consider getting into the wireless business, and didn't they buy spectrum frequencies (can't remember the details). However, Google has a history of buying lots of stuff, with no payoff in site.

Apple has stated they have no interest (ever) of getting into the TV business (even with their obvious push with Apple TV), due to lack of control of the "box" (namely the TV), so doubt they would want to get into the wireless business either.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

How does Pandora fit into all of this? Is it private, and, if so, if it was bought and shut down, could someone easily make another version to take its place? My son and his friend don't buy much from itunes - they just stream Pandora. They were bummed out on a recent ski trip, when they couldn't stream it on their 3G phones; however, we couldn't get ATT anyway, due to too much traffic on the skislopes, so having your tunes on the device seems more reasonable for the foreseeable future.

I understand why some people would want Pandora to surprise you with new songs, but in most case I think local storage for songs makes more sense. 1GB will easily get you over 300 songs.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    tmedia1tmedia1 Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mired in licensing issues, Apple's rumored full-scale cloud music service might be further down the line than previously thought. A limited feature service could be released by the end of the year.

Sources told CNet that if 'in the cloud' music features from Apple are released in the next few months, they will probably be "modest in scope," rather than more robust offerings as previously rumored.

After Apple purchased the online music streaming service LaLa late last year, speculation about the possibility of an iTunes streaming service increased. In January, one music industry veteran went on record saying that an upcoming version of iTunes would make users' iTunes libraries "available from any browser or net connected ipod/touch/tablet."

Although CNet claims that causes for the delay remain unclear, licensing issues and personnel changes may be a large part of the problem. According to the report, Apple "still hasn't obtained the licenses needed to store or distribute music from the cloud."

Additionally, music industry sources said Monday that "one of Lala's four founding members, someone who moved to Apple after the acquisition, has recently left the company."

These delays could cost Apple if Google can launch a competing service first. Although the Mountain View, Calif.-based company has partnered with music streaming services in the past, it has yet to launch a full-featured cloud music service. CNet's sources report that "Google's music attempts have never appeared this concrete before."

On the other hand, positive evidence that the project remains on track can be found by looking at Apple's $1 billion North Carolina server farm project. Several analysts are predicting that the project is being built specifically for a cloud media service. In July, Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer announced that the server farm is "on schedule" to open by the end of the year.

I firmly believe that Apple is preparing to directly compete with Netflix streaming subscription. They are probably having trouble getting all the studios and TV outlets on board with licensing. I sure hope it happens, Netflix HD streaming is awesome, they just lack enough variety due to the same licensing problems that Apple is having...