First look: Apple Battery Charger and AA batteries

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 155
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    It would be nice if they sold additional batteries separately. I'll need 6 alone just for my keyboard + MM + MT -- I plan to keep the MM available for the times when I may prefer it -- and a few extra for a couple of remotes would be nice too, as well as a spare couple in the charger.



    They are NiMH batteries, probably Sanyo Eneloops or equivalent.
  • Reply 82 of 155
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Technology moves on. No manufacturer supports its old tech.



    I wouldn't call that moving on since the three-battery keyboard lasts longer than the two-battery keyboard. I have both with a newer Mac and older Mac and the three-battery version lasts longer. Since the Apple Battery Charger comes with 6 batteries, it would have been nice if it charged more than just two at a time. I wouldn't consider the three-battery keyboard old technology since it is the same keyboard with one less battery.



    The rechargable batteries will probably only last about a year anyway before you have to replace them with another expensive rechargable battery. Considering most people have more AA-battery devices around the house besides one keyboard and one mouse, buying batteries in bulk from Costco is still a better deal.
  • Reply 83 of 155
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Why? Explain your reasoning why an accessory that needs two batteries to fuction would need a charger with four bays to recharge two batteries.



    Are you under some impression that accessories use their power at exactly the same interval or that charging time is so exessve that their would be constant overlaping needs? Are you not aware of how long between charges an Apple accessory is likely to go between charges with tees batteries or that Mac OS X will inform you when your Apple keyboard, mouse or trackpad is running low on power so you have plenty of time to plan for a battery swap or charging of the batteries before replacing? Think people!



    How about me just saying, "It would be nice" if Apple did what I asked. They put an HDMI port on the mini after I requested it.



    Sometimes, without any warning, my batteries go from 40% at the end of the evening, to 0% in the morning. My bad, I don't have "extra" batteries.



    I did post that my keyboard uses three batteries. Before I purchase more batteries, I will get a USB keyboard and mouse. Problem solved.



    Gee, what if Apple put tiny USB connectors on the bluetooth devices! When the juice gets low, plug them into your Mac, continue to use them, while they charge.



    I know someone with a rechargeable mouse where the entire mouse returns to the charging station.
  • Reply 84 of 155
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I think it?s odd that anyone would think they can?t use their three AA Apple Wireless Keyboard with the Apple charger . . . or that they couldn?t buy a different charger that held more batteries and/or battery charging stations if they absolutely needed it.



    It is simple. If my three-battery keyboard died and I had the Apple Battery Charger, it wouldn't do me any good when it can only charge two batteries. Rechargable batteries tend to lose power when they are removed from the charger, even when not used. Since you mention the idea of buying a different battery charging solution, why did Apple waste their time developing a battery charger when you can go to Radio Shack and get a much more useful charger for less...if you absolutely needed it? That is why Apple stopped making printers and scanners because other vendors already made them so Apple didn't see the need to continue making them (especially since Apple printers were just rebranded HP and Canon printers). This Apple Battery Charger will be gone in less than a year, just like the failed iPod Hi-Fi.
  • Reply 85 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post


    At a conservatively over-priced $0.20 per kilowatt-hour, 315 milliwatts over 10 years will cost $5.50.



    Compare that to the Apple charger's 30 milliwatts over 10 years costing $0.50.



    That's a whopping $5 savings--total over 10 years.



    $5 times a million people = lower energy waste, still nothing compared to what congress spends in a day.
  • Reply 86 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    It is simple. If my three-battery keyboard died and I had the Apple Battery Charger, it wouldn't do me any good when it can only charge two batteries. Rechargable batteries tend to lose power when they are removed from the charger, even when not used. Since you mention the idea of buying a different battery charging solution, why did Apple waste their time developing a battery charger when you can go to Radio Shack and get a much more useful charger for less...if you absolutely needed it? That is why Apple stopped making printers and scanners because other vendors already made them so Apple didn't see the need to continue making them (especially since Apple printers were just rebranded HP and Canon printers). This Apple Battery Charger will be gone in less than a year, just like the failed iPod Hi-Fi.



    1) You other batteries you have charged. What part of 80% after 1 year or 85% after 3 years with the design makes that an issue?



    2) Then don?t buy Apple?s charger that they designed for their current products. Do you really expect them to release a 3 or 5 bay battery charger to suit the needs of some people that can?t be proactive.



    3) If you really have to use Apple?s charger simply because it?s from Apple (not because it fits your needs) then go buy the keyboard that uses two batteries.



    4) Cheap chargers may not power up the entire battery making you think the batteries are poor or the device uses an excessive amount, and other chargers more power when simply sitting in the wall socket. The latter we know about, the former you can grab from the internet. It?s hard to understand why Apple would want to make a buck on selling an Apple branded charger designed for its current products.



    5) It?s a flipping charger that seems to be better than any other charger I?ve seen on the market. It can charge any of these AA NiMH batteries and will likely be what many people buy alongside their Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Do you really think they?ll want to run down to Radio Shack to see what deals they have going down there.It



    6) Let?s recap: It comes with 6 batteries for a setup designed for 4 to be used at any one time. 6 minus 4 equals 2. That means there will be 2 batteries charged and waiting to be used when you need them. They want you to leave those two in charger and in the wall so that replacing them and finding them is simple.
  • Reply 87 of 155
    Yea so WHY are they NiMH and not Lithium Ion/Polymer?!



    Funny how AI's crack reporting team TOTALLY missed that point!!!!
  • Reply 88 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post


    Yea so WHY are they NiMH and not Lithium Ion/Polymer?!



    Funny how AI's crack reporting team TOTALLY missed that point!!!!



    Why would they need to report that? This information is fairly common and can be easily found on the internet. There are obvious reasons why low-power, rechargeable AA batteries are NiMH instead of Li-ion. Don?t blame AI because you?re too lazy to use Google.
  • Reply 89 of 155
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    Rechargable batteries tend to lose power when they are removed from the charger, even when not used.



    I don't know how many times this has to be repeated but these batteries (just like the Sanyo Eneloop batteries) discharge very little when sitting around. The packaging for the Eneloop batteries say it retains 85% of its charge after 1 year sitting around not being charged.
  • Reply 90 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexor View Post


    I don't know how many times this has to be repeated but these batteries (just like the Sanyo Eneloop batteries) discharge very little when sitting around. The package on the Eneloop says it retains 85% of its charge after 1 year sitting around not being charged.



    They are pretty impressive.
    And to restate this again, you can get your batteries and charger separately and in any configuration you wish from wherever you wish, just make sure that the charger can sufficiently charge your batteries.





    PS: If I were in need of these batteries I’d get the Sanyo Enelope USB charger with two AAs for $13. It can do a full quick charge in 2-4 hours, I don’t have to waste or look for a wall socket, and it will also charge AAA batteries.
  • Reply 91 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Your comment seems to imply that Apple?s accessories are less power efficient than ?other? accessories. If so, could you explain why you think that is.



    Obviously, you have never used wireless in your life or else you would know this. Just check all the other wireless brands: Microsoft, Targus, Kensington, and Logitech. Their specs for battery life are measured in months, not weeks.
  • Reply 92 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xena10003 View Post


    Obviously, you have never used wireless in your life or else you would know this. Just check all the other wireless brands: Microsoft, Targus, Kensington, and Logitech. Their specs for battery life are measured in months, not weeks.



    Why don’t you point some items out then? Find me a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse from each of those companies that is exponentially more “green” than Apple’s product using the same type and number of batteries. I double dog dare you.
  • Reply 93 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I basically agree, but for the record, most of the Apple wireless keyboards sold to date use three batteries, not two and it's reasonable to assume that people have other products besides Apple products that need AA batteries.



    I understand totally why Apple did it the way they did, but it's not without it's drawbacks and gotchas. Being an owner of a three battery keyboard that's still practically brand new, I would certainly prefer that Apple went with the more standard 6 battery charger.



    Methinks the designers assumed rather a bit too much in terms of usage scenarios for this product.



    Anyone who begins a sentence with 'methinks' deserves to be mocked. Consider this your small spasm of attention, deserved only because all subsequent posters deign to ignore your inattentive spurgesquent eruption. Next time you feel led to say 'Quoth I' or 'What say you?', keep it to yourself.
  • Reply 94 of 155
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Last Friday after concluding Apple's batteries were probably rebranded Sanyo Eneloops. Don't get me wrong, I think Apple's battery charger is a decent product. With this caveat!



    4 Eneloop AA + Battery Charger = 17.50 on Amazon

    4 Eneloop AA =10.50 on Amazon



    $28 for 8 AA Eneloop batteries + Charger = $3.50 per battery

    $29 for 6 AA Apple Batteries + Charger = $4.84 per battery
  • Reply 95 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mimsyswallows View Post


    Anyone who begins a sentence with 'methinks' deserves to be mocked. Consider this your small spasm of attention, deserved only because all subsequent posters deign to ignore your inattentive spurgesquent eruption. Next time you feel led to say 'Quoth I' or 'What say you?', keep it to yourself.



    If you are actually serious and this isn't a joke then you are a blaggard and a scoundrel for saying so. Unless you be of the fairer sex, then all is forgiven.
  • Reply 96 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrr View Post


    BFD!



    I wait a year and a half and only get a speed bump for the Mac Pro.



    And now?



    A friggin battery charger. Go to the 99cent store and get a battery charger.



    I understand your frustration but I'm hoping this is better than a 99 cent store battery and charger. It is another one of those situations where Apple should have been a little more forth coming right from the get go. That is the devices documentation should clearly indicate battery compatibility. That is list the manufacture, brand name and model number for every compatible battery world wide.



    It is these little details that I find more and more frustrating with Apple. Yeah the speed bump Mac Pro was a big let down, but I still see the hiding of information about Apples products as an even bigger let down. Be it the RAM in the iPad or the specific battery compatibility of the charger, in the end these little things do as much damage as the bigger more public screw ups like a half ass speed bumped Mac Pro.





    Dave
  • Reply 97 of 155
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post




    .. but I still see the hiding of information about Apples products as an even bigger let down. Be it the RAM in the iPad or the specific battery compatibility of the charger, in the end these little things do as much damage as the bigger more public screw ups like a half ass speed bumped Mac Pro.

    Dave



    Why in the world would anyone care how much RAM is in the iPad? If it does what it claims to do then thats all that matters. Only techno-geeks care about such metrics, 99.9% of the public could care less.
  • Reply 98 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    If you are actually serious and this isn't a joke then you are a blaggard and a scoundrel for saying so. Unless you be of the fairer sex, then all is forgiven.



    Methought he was kidding, but now methinksing he was not.
  • Reply 99 of 155
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    That is the devices documentation should clearly indicate battery compatibility. That is list the manufacture, brand name and model number for every compatible battery world wide.



    You mean like AA, NiMH, and the obvious Rechargeable? They did that. Nothing else is really relevant to the average consumer and that is more than enough info. The real thing they are looking at is is how it works for their needs.



    Two for your keyboard, two for your mouse/trackpad, and two in the charger; a charger that uses little power and uses the same pop-out plug as all Mac power plugs.



    That is more relevant info than customers need to make a decision. Most people look for the size they need and then look for name brand or marketing name that suits their needs.
  • Reply 100 of 155
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,410member
    OG not unnerstand til plug piktoor
Sign In or Register to comment.