Unconfirmed case illustrations show upcoming iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

This is a fake. Period.

If there is only one camera on the iPod Touch, I guarantee you it will be a front-facing Facetime camera. And we will not see the "old" rounded back iPhone design. Ridiculous.

The only way a 'front facing camera' would take precedence over a rear/video camera is if the iPod Touch is being repositioned as a communication device rather than (primarily) a media player, which is highly doubtful.

Chances are the next iPod Touch will feature a rear-facing still/video camera only so as to guarantee that there's no confusion as to its market position between the iPod Nano (video camera only) and the iPhone (both front and rear cameras)... call it a 'Feature Media Player' if you will.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

One thing to take note is the lack of the iTunes icon...

The orange icon with the note says 'iTunes' underneath.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Except then developers will have to choose...create a low rez screen that will look poor scaled up on an iPhone or create a high-res screen that won't scale down well, or at all, to the touch. Sure, Apple could tell developers to create screens/graphics for both resolutions, but that makes it that much more work.

Apple wants to encourage as much iOS development as possible. A Retina display on the touch would mean a single set of graphics would display well on iPhone, iPad, and the touch.

Actually it is not hard at all. All you need to do is add "@x2" at the end of the image file name and the OS will take care of it.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    I think Apple is more likely to add a front camera than a rear camera. But in my opinion they will add both to achieve best FaceTime experience. I also think Apple will keep one of the current iPod touches as a base model at $199. Two new higher end iPod touches will probably have two cameras, Retina display, and Apple A4 chip at $299 and $399 for 32GB and 64GB, respectively.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Actually it is not hard at all. All you need to do is add "@x2" at the end of the image file name and the OS will take care of it.

Yeah, but if you want to support 3GS, 4 AND iPad it starts to get complicated...
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Yeah, but if you want to support 3GS, 4 AND iPad it starts to get complicated...

It is not as complicated if the developer knows how to develop software. Furthermore, developers are not required by Apple to support all three devices. An app developed for the 3G or 3GS will work fine on iPhone 4 and iPad (not as good as native iPad app for sure). It is up to the developer to decide if he/she want to add quality to their apps by optimizing graphics and UI. Many developers choose to develop separate standalone apps for the iPad though.

You will be surprised to know that programing for all three devices is not as complicated as you might think. The SDK makes it less painful to develop a universal app. It is not that much different from developing software for computers with different display resolution.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I think the touch will continue to use the current display. After all the 8GB 3GS is still in production with that display.

I expect minimal changes to the case, just enough to accommodate the camera capabilities. I would personally prefer a still camera on the back, but I'm guessing it'll just get the low res front facing camera from the iPhone 4.

The addition of the camera and upgrade to A4 processor will allow Apple to avoid increasing the amount of storage, but as a result they'll have to keep the iPod Classic for one more year. Next year expect a 128GB touch to replace the Classic.

At that point my dream device might be able to be introduced. iNotePad with 5-6 inch iPhone shaped 2:3 ratio screen, two cameras, WiFi and 3G. The larger display and 3G capabilities would make it vastly more useful than the touch while still being small enough to fit in a pocket.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I think the touch will continue to use the current display. After all the 8GB 3GS is still in production with that display.

Ridiculous. Apple will certainly want current iPod Touch users to upgrade. There's no way I'll upgrade my 32GB Touch unless there's a retina display. Even with the A4, a camera, whatever. No retina display, no upgrade. I think a lot of other latest generation Touch users would agree with me.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Sure, if you measure complicated in degrees of laziness and priority.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, this is a mockup/fake from last year.

The iPod touch has always had the same display, CPU, graphics chip and overall style based on the iPhone.

This rumor is B.S.

Correct. What distinguishes the two systems mainly is the Phone functionality.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    iandeaniandean Posts: 23member
    I'd guess that's a mic, and not a flash.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Apart from all the points already posted, there's no black plastic panel on the back for a wifi aerial, like the current touch, and like the leaked photo of an iPod touch with a camera a few months ago.

Although, if the polished back photo above is the real thing, I am surprised they're going with that, I thought they might have made it a unibody aluminium back, like a mini iPad (but with a wifi aerial panel )
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Apart from all the points already posted, there's no black plastic panel on the back for a wifi aerial, like the current touch, and like the leaked photo of an iPod touch with a camera a few months ago.

Although, if the polished back photo above is the real thing, I am surprised they're going with that, I thought they might have made it a unibody aluminium back, like a mini iPad (but with a wifi aerial panel )

That's not a polished back. It's white plastic, as far as I can tell. It's an iPhone back and an iPod front. That's all.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    There's no iOS4 on the picture, how could this possibly be real..
  • Reply 35 of 62
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    I doubt this is real. I suspect there will be one camera and no retina display due to manufacturing limits and cost. Prediction: This next touch upgrade will be evolutionary not revolutionary, but we will soon see either way.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Ugh, so fake...

Next iPod Touch will have to be awesome like the iPhone4!
  • Reply 37 of 62
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSwitcher View Post

Ugh, so fake...

Next iPod Touch will have to be awesome like the iPhone4!

I'm hoping for FaceTime and to be 5mm thick :/
  • Reply 38 of 62
    p.strafp.straf Posts: 17member
  • Reply 39 of 62
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPad999 View Post

One thing to take note is the lack of the iTunes icon...

It is in the dock - different from what we are used to seeing but it is there.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    I think a front-facing camera is a sure thing--even more than a rear-facing camera. This is a wifi device and facetime is a huge deal for apple. You do the math. Also a gyroscope makes sense, I would think. I'm about 50/50 on the retina. Probably too many upgrades to keep the pricing the same and I don't know what the supply is like.