Microsoft site attempts to discourage PC users from switching to Mac

13468912

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    I haven't had any trouble nor have any of my friends that have been using it. Mind you we are on pretty new systems. Well over the basic specs



    If I install Windows on my Mac I can play steam games fine, but under OSX I am told I don't meet the basic specs. If OSX is so much better, why does it need a new machine to run the same software as Windows on a three year old machine?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Many software needs can be covered by other titles but yes in a few rare occasions there are programs that do not exist in a Mac form. US realtors, for example, use a listing system that has been around for an easy decade and is Windows only. I believe that Westlaw and Lexis-Nexis are both still Windows only (use by legal professionals). and there are perhaps a half dozen more very exclusive systems that are Windows only.



    And why is their software Windows only?
  • Reply 102 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post


    I'll bet a years rent it was fat assed Balmers idea for this stupid ass website......God I can't believe anyone can be SOOOO stupid and still wield power...if you can call running Microshaft power...



    Yeah, he is pretty stupid, I guess he goes home each night and cries into his $14 billion net worth over how stupid he is.
  • Reply 103 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    Yeah, he is pretty stupid, I guess he goes home each night and cries into his $14 billion net worth over how stupid he is.



    Which is the same net worth that he had in 2000, unless you count inflation. Inflation over the last decade was about 26%. Scratch that, his net worth in 2001 was nearly $16B, which is about $20B in today's dollars.
  • Reply 104 of 239
    I suppose no big deal for MS to compare Windows with Macs. But it is humorous that MS decided to take Apple on directly. Since Macs sales are rounding error to MS, it would seem that MS going after Macs will just give Apple more advertising.
  • Reply 105 of 239
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "You can't get a Mac that ships with a Blu-ray player, TV tuner, Memory Stick reader, or built-in 3G wireless," the site says.



    And you cannot get any MS products with this either.
  • Reply 106 of 239
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Which is the same net worth that he had in 2001, unless you count inflation. Inflation over the last decade was about 26%. Scratch that, his net worth in 2001 was nearly $16M, which is about $20B in today's dollars.



    Perhaps you meant $16 billion (with a b) in 2001?
  • Reply 107 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    Hey DaHarder - please go spew your total bullshit somewhere else you troll and paid shill.



    Wow! For someone with a mere 44 posts, your silly, immature, inane retort of using the word 'SHILL' when left unable to post anything of actual intelligence/substance is already old and tired.



    I guess 'shill' must have been proclaimed the vocabulary word of the week in preschool today.
  • Reply 108 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    Perhaps you meant $16 billion (with a b) in 2001?



    Whoops. Fixed.
  • Reply 109 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    You are truly an idiot! And in just a few short weeks Apple has sold more of them than the entire 9 years of sales for microsucks tablet PC. Go figure! I guess Apple misread the market, and microsucks was spot on. You are looking dumber and dumber with each of your posts.



    Classic Argumentum Ad Populum -



    Oh, as that was probably beyond your scope, it's a logical fallacy that essentially says since more people believe/participate in something then it must be correct.



    Example: Just because they've sold a certain quantity of something, doesn't make it superior... and just so you'll know, there are three iPads in my household, all purchased by me, and one iPad 64gb/Wifi+3g belonging solely to me.
  • Reply 110 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Which is the same net worth that he had in 2001, unless you count inflation. Inflation over the last decade was about 26%. Scratch that, his net worth in 2001 was nearly $16B, which is about $20B in today's dollars.



    But still he still has around $14 billion more than the person who claimed he was "stupid"
  • Reply 111 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post


    I suppose no big deal for MS to compare Windows with Macs. But it is humorous that MS decided to take Apple on directly. Since Macs sales are rounding error to MS, it would seem that MS going after Macs will just give Apple more advertising.



    ... or possibly a taste of their own medicine.
  • Reply 112 of 239
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    Do they say, among other things, that Office does not work as well on a Mac?
  • Reply 113 of 239
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    And you cannot get any MS products with this either.



    Could that be because Microsoft doesn't actually manufacture computers?



    But rest assured such a configuration is easily obtainable from a number of computer manufacturers using Windows 7.



    Examples: Hp



    Home Computer - HP TouchSmart IQ816 which comes complete with a Blu-ray player, TV tuner, Memory Stick/multi-card reader, and can utilize any carriers 3G wireless USB dongle.



    Laptop: Hp dv8t (see above)



    Both retail for less than US 2,000.00
  • Reply 114 of 239
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post


    Why do people value the act of choosing over the utility of the choice? Just like you have the freedom to choose from any private healthcare you want but none of them actually provide you with any value.



    Well said.



    Apple might not offer different colors but their design is more appealing. Case and point - my three year old Macbook still looks fairly fresh, while my PC friend's custom laptops look fat, bulky and obsolete. Apple might not have blu ray, but honestly this has not been a big problem for me. I am yet to make something that won't fit on dual layer DVD or have a need to watch a blu ray movie on my computer.



    BTW if I ever do make something over 8 gigs that I need to share I would be pissed I don't have blu ray but as of now it's not yet a problem.
  • Reply 115 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    But still he still has around $14 billion more than the person who claimed he was "stupid"



    Are you suggesting that it's smart to work an entire decade while losing money at the very job you're doing? It would be one thing if it was philanthropy, but it's not. If you set out to make money, losing money is considered failing. Consistently losing money (or net worth) almost every year for a decade doesn't require a Mensa candidate to suggest that something is very wrong.
  • Reply 116 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    Are you suggesting that it's smart to work an entire decade while losing money at the very job you're doing? It would be one thing if it was philanthropy, but it's not. If you set out to make money, losing money is considered failing. Consistently losing money (or net worth) almost every year for a decade doesn't require a Mensa candidate to suggest that something is very wrong.



    No, I am saying he has a hell of a lot more money than the person who called him stupid, and will continue to so for the rest of his life
  • Reply 117 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post


    I realized that these apply more to most PCs on the market than any Mac you can currently buy.



    Most PCs Don't have Blu-Ray drives

    Most PCs Don't have TV tuner's built in

    Most PCs Don't ship with Office installed on them

    Most PCs Don't have a powerful enough video card to play many games

    Most PCs Don't really give you an option on color other than black

    Most PCs Don't ship with Windows Ultimate so they cannot encrypt the hard disk

    Most PCs Don't have touch screens

    Most PCs Don't ship with built-in wireless



    ALL of these points can be accomplished very easily and very inexpensively on a Mac.



    If you notice the webpage indicates that Macs don't have a BluRay player. There's simply no escaping this. I do believe this is the one thing that is inexcusable on Apple's part. Yeah.. you can buy a BluRay burner but it simply will not playback that BluRay. I'm sorry but booting into windows is NOT a solution Apple should rely on. However, I also point the finger at third party vendors here. How come a third party vendor like Roxio couldn't come up with BluRay Playback solution???? They have one for Windows and now that most macs support mini display, or are already all in ones, macs fit the bill. I just don't understand this.
  • Reply 118 of 239
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    No, I am saying he has a hell of a lot more money than the person who called him stupid, and will continue to so for the rest of his life



    It's still a non sequitur.
  • Reply 119 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post


    However, I also point the finger at third party vendors here. How come a third party vendor like Roxio couldn't come up with BluRay Playback solution???? They have one for Windows and now that most macs support mini display, or are already all in ones, macs fit the bill. I just don't understand this.



    Because the OS needs to have extra support for Blu-ray which Windows has, and OS X doesn't.
  • Reply 120 of 239
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It's still a non sequitur.



    That is your thought. People might not like Balmer, but it is a strange thing to call him stupid, when he is in charge on one of the largest companies in the world. He might not have the same thoughts as others (ie 99% of the people here), but the guy is far from stupid, and he has achieved a lot more than most of the people here.
Sign In or Register to comment.