iPod touch with two cameras, Retina Display said to arrive soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple really should have come up with a more accurate name than 'retina display' given that:

"Apple's claims behind the iPhone 4's Retina Display aren't completely true, display research veteran Raymond Soneira claimed today. While Apple claims that 300 pixels per inch (PPI) is the limit of the human retina and that the iPhone 4's 326PPI easily exceeds it, the DisplayMate president notes that the resolution would need to reach 477PPI for the pixels to truly be 'invisible' to a healthy human eye. Apple's claims don't become completely true until about 1.5 feet from the LCD.

Soneira noted that Apple would likely need to go above the retina's actual resolution to have a visually "perfect" display. Apple's Retina Display claims are thus another example of "spec exaggeration
    , he said.

Wow. I am sure Steve Jobs is wetting his pants at the thought that "research veteran" (what the heck is that!?) Raymond Soneira (who the heck is that!?) is accusing him of spec exaggeration!

• Reply 22 of 57
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

... Raymond Soneira (who the heck is that!?)...

Looks like he's a veteran indeed:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...001&as_sdtp=on
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Looks like he's a veteran indeed:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...001&as_sdtp=on

Ah, that Raymond.......
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:

... as long as there's a good WiFi signal available.

you must be paid by the post.. I'd put a little effort into calling you out (again), but now i actually pitty you
  • Reply 25 of 57
    but this isn't telling us much.

And I would add that the Dell Streak has twice the screen size (size DOES matter) that the iPod has and is a phone so you can use it anywhere. Would love to see the streak available with the iPads data plan, or a 5" iPhone/iPad with cell modem for $299 with the iPad's data plan.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

you must be paid by the post.. I'd put a little effort into calling you out (again), but now i actually pitty you

'Calling Out' about what... The Truth?

Maybe you weren't aware that Apple's FaceTime only (officially) works via WiFi
  • Reply 27 of 57
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    There is so much speculation right now about what features the iPod Touch will have. I am excited to see it.

How far in advance before an event do they typically send out the invites? 1 week?

I don't think that they will release any new products until the current back to school promotions are completed...
  • Reply 28 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmessick View Post

but this isn't telling us much.

And I would add that the Dell Streak has twice the screen size (size DOES matter) that the iPod has and is a phone so you can use it anywhere. Would love to see the streak available with the iPads data plan, or a 5" iPhone/iPad with the iPad's data plan.

Well, if a larger "screen size (size DOES matter)? then the iPad with a 9.7? IPS display is probably close to 4x the area of the Dell Streak? and the iPad retails for $50 less than the Dell Streak.

Ever wonder why more people buy 13? Mac notebooks than 17? Mac notebooks. You?re right, screen size does matter but it?s an ideal screen size because physics affect the size of the device which affects the overall usefulness. Those 4.x" Android phone displays may be pushing the limit of what is comfortable for the average user.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Well, if a larger "screen size (size DOES matter)? then the iPad with a 9.7? IPS display is probably close to 4x the area of the Dell Streak? and the iPad retails for $50 less than the Dell Streak.

Ever wonder why more people buy 13? Mac notebooks than 17? Mac notebooks. You?re right, screen size does matter but it?s an ideal screen size because physics affect the size of the device which affects the overall usefulness. Those 4.x" Android phone displays may be pushing the limit of what is comfortable for the average user.

I found this out myself after purchasing the DROID X only to discover that it offered little more functionally than my DROID I in a less (for me) ergonomically friendly package.

Nonetheless, it's still great to have options.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Sounds good. So when do we see it?

Assuming that the device actually exists and is currently in a production ramp for a worldwide launch, probably not until the second half of September.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    I'd wager that the new Ipod Touch will look a lot like this:

Who Knows...
  • Reply 32 of 57
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I'd wager that the new Ipod Touch will look a lot like this:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/12...whiteblack.png

Who Knows...

I don't think we will see the black strip. They will use they back as an a wifi antenna like they did with the iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think we will see the black strip. They will use they back as an a wifi antenna like they did with the iPad.

... or maybe they won't.

We'll just have to wait and see
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:

I don't see a white plastic strip or the strip at the bottom when all other Touches (and the iPad) put the strip on the top. Also, the strip on the iPad is for 3G and the plastic Apple logo is for WiFi.

I can't see Apple mirroring the iPad for the Touch. It looks bad and seems impractical to me.

I can see Apple continuing the use of a metal back like they have with all other Touches. Maybe using the same curved black plastic cut out for WiFi and having the camera HW in that same area to better hide it, thus making the device more aesthetically pleasing.

I can also see Apple making the back glass like the iPhone 4. If they go this route it could be a sign of Apple setting up that aesthetic for an eventual back-side touch-panel as shown in a patent filing. However I do find this to be the less likely than my previous guess.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

... or maybe they won't.

We'll just have to wait and see

Indeed we'll see. Just like we've seen that the current iPhone display is the same dimensions as the previous model and not taller like you imagined after iOS 4 keynote
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:

Indeed we'll see. Just like we've seen that the current iPhone display is the same dimensions as the previous model and not taller like you imagined after iOS 4 keynote

It was more like I'd rather it have been that way, but being constrained by such a large catalog of apps left Apple with no other choice than to merely multiply pixels.

It Happens... and the world will continue to revolve around the sun... unabated.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    OMG, someone is earning their bonus at Amalgamated Trolling Services, Inc. He's actually trying to spin the success of the App Store and quadrupling of the pixels on the iPhone display as bad things. He must make DBAG* of the month, every month.

* Not a personal attack, it's an industry term acronym I just made up that stands for: Dishonest Blowhard Award for Guile
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

OMG, someone is earning their bonus at Amalgamated Trolling Services, Inc. He's actually trying to spin the success of the App Store and quadrupling of the pixels on the iPhone display as bad things. He must make DBAG* of the month, every month.

* Not a personal attack, it's an industry term acronym I just made up that stands for: Dishonest Blowhard Award for Guile

Amazing, isn't it?
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

How's it 'trolling' (the AI-Etite's standard/tired insult for anything/anyone with whom they disagree), when it's the obvious truth.

You can't believe that Apple just looked up one day and randomly decided upon a display resolution as unorthodox as 960 x 640 -
  • Reply 40 of 57
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    lol, Apple blew it with the retina display.