iPhone 4 remains sold out at half of Apple US retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

because here in the biggest city in Canada, people are lining up when a store gets like 20 of them. The cellphone stores get even less. This is selling like hotcakes?

I don't know what numbers are elsewhere, but this is pathetic.

That still doesn't imply that Apple is intentionally restricting stock to create artificial supply constraints.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Imagine our surprise when we got a delivery of fifteen iPhone 4 16GB, the first we have seen since they launched here on the 30th, especially after being told it would be four to six weeks before we were getting any stock.

They sold out within three hours.

I even got one.

Goodbye slow old 3G.

The 3GS 8GB's also sell out.

It took 3 hours to sell out of 15 phones? Shit, up here 15 would be gone immediately, within minutes, depending only on there being enough staff to ring them through and the computers keeping up with activations. Demand must not be very high in your neck of the woods if a store only sells 5 per hour.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    I sold my 3Gs for $200 and ordered an iPhone 4 from Apple for $199...should be here Aug 31st.

I'm going to believe Stevo on this....if they come out with an iPhone 5 next year, I will sell my iPhone 4 and order one. One thing I won't do is order anymore docks!

I just sold my AppleTV for $100 and will get an new one when they come out. Essentially, 'rented' my appleTV for about $5/mo. Not bad...gotta love Craig's List!

Am planning to sell my MacBook and get a new 2nd gen iPad when they come out with the cameras...at which point, I will sell my Airport Extreme and get an 'n' airport express.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That still doesn't imply that Apple is intentionally restricting stock to create artificial supply constraints.

Yes, and you know what? Elvis Presley is still alive. He just came by for dinner yesterday. I totally agree with you these are silly rumors.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    So why can't Apple do what they did with the 3Gs? They had a link on their site for the retail stores that showed whether the 3Gs was in stock or not. If there is such a link, correct me.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Yes, and you know what? Elvis Presley is still alive. He just came by for dinner yesterday.

What does apple have to gain by restricting supplies of iP4's? People clearly want to buy more of them than apple are selling.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What does apple have to gain by restricting supplies of iP4's? People clearly want to buy more of them than apple are selling.

Absolutely. My opinion.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I sold my 3Gs for $200 and ordered an iPhone 4 from Apple for $199...should be here Aug 31st.

I'm going to believe Stevo on this....if they come out with an iPhone 5 next year, I will sell my iPhone 4 and order one. One thing I won't do is order anymore docks!

I just sold my AppleTV for $100 and will get an new one when they come out. Essentially, 'rented' my appleTV for about $5/mo. Not bad...gotta love Craig's List!

Am planning to sell my MacBook and get a new 2nd gen iPad when they come out with the cameras...at which point, I will sell my Airport Extreme and get an 'n' airport express.

I just sold my iPod Touch 2nd Generation- 32 gb for $155 and bought the iPhone 4!

Has anyone ordered their iPhone 4 through AT&T Premier and if so how long did it take for the phone to arrive? I'm saving $3.00 on my monthly 2 gb data plan and that is the only reason why I ordered through AT&T.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    To fix the first line of the article, the idiot-blogger-fanned-joke called "attenagate" has done absolutely nothing to any aspect of iPhone 4 sales. They are through the roof, this is longer than any iPhone has been out of stock prior to launch, and Apple and its shareholders are happy as pigs. They should be.

Just got one for my brother, took only 1.5 weeks ordered at an AT&T store. Faster than Apple is shipping them right now, FWIW.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

because here in the biggest city in Canada, people are lining up when a store gets like 20 of them. The cellphone stores get even less. This is selling like hotcakes?

I don't know what numbers are elsewhere, but this is pathetic.

Hmmm. Perhaps you, have no idea what you're talking about? Yeah, I'm gonna go with that.

The in-store inventory is paltry at the moment, and has been since the week following launch day.

90% of iPhone activations going on right now are either A) at home, after the person waited 1-3 weeks for delivery and finally got it, or B) in AT&T and Apple stores after the person placed an order in the store and waited 1 - 2 weeks for it to come in.

Given a knowledge of how these things usually work out, Apple and otherwise, I would expect at least another 4-6 weeks of demand out-pacing supply in stores. It will be at least October before one can walk into Apple, AT&T, or Best Buy and say, "One iPhone 4, pls." (and not be laughed at)
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbanleopard View Post

It would make sense for Apple to restrict supplies if they had a silent hardware fix in the works.

Dream on. Any other conspiracy theories you'd like to float?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

It would make sense for Apple to restrict supplies if they had a silent hardware fix in the works.

It what possible way could that make sense? If they are going to shut down production to switch to a new process, fine, that might make sense. In that case there wouldn't be limited stock coming in, there would be no new stock coming in. What good would it do them to only slow production down? Is the logic that if they are going to ship defective product, they should slow down so the only sell a few million? Really?

I at least understand the logic behind the 'Apple is restriction stock to keep demand artificially high' myth. I don't agree with it and it has gigantic holes, but I understand it. This other theory just makes no sense at all.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    No one knew we had them, we've been turning people away since they launched this happened in one normally quiet weekday afternoon in a suburban shopping centre.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It took 3 hours to sell out of 15 phones? Shit, up here 15 would be gone immediately, within minutes, depending only on there being enough staff to ring them through and the computers keeping up with activations. Demand must not be very high in your neck of the woods if a store only sells 5 per hour.

• Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

Apple needs to step up production.

For the next model they should have 10million made before they go on sale, maybe more.

It's hurting sales like nothing else.

I'm surprised shareholders are not more concerned about this.

This is likely the main reason Papermaster was let go. Not 'antennagate.'
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Apple's doomed.?

Fixed it.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Ugh, AI should stop calling it "-gate" unless they're quoting someone. Seriously.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

DaHarder, is that you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is likely the main reason Papermaster was let go. Not 'antennagate.'

Well, antennagate was pretty much the icing on the cake. Or, in Papermaster's case, the extra kick in the ass-kick-out-the-door he got.

But we will never know. It could have been aliens. Or maybe he told Jon Ives that his designs "sucked".
  • Reply 38 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ugh, AI should stop calling it "-gate" unless they're quoting someone. Seriously.

Yup, AppleInsidergate at work.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Why would anyone believe Apple is "restricting" supply? There is no reason to believe anything other than demand is greater than what Apple is able to produce. It costs lots of money, and takes a long time to build more factories. These things do not just happen with the snap of a finger. It just seems to kill some people to imagine that the smartphone buying public loves the iPhone. Get over it.

You have to remember that the people who theorize that Apple is artificially creating a shortage, for whatever reason, are the same people who think Barak Obama is not a natural born citizen and that George Bush ordered the destruction of the World Trade Center towers. This plus the fact that these losers hate Apple with such a passion that they will say anything to muddy the waters should explain their behavior quite precisely.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    bosoxbosox Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I just sold my iPod Touch 2nd Generation- 32 gb for $155 and bought the iPhone 4!

Has anyone ordered their iPhone 4 through AT&T Premier and if so how long did it take for the phone to arrive? I'm saving $3.00 on my monthly 2 gb data plan and that is the only reason why I ordered through AT&T.

It took 15 days for me. Premier customer, but ordered at the local ATT store. Upgrade from 3G.

BTW one dropped call in about 100. better than average?