Apple seeds first Mac OS X 10.6.5 build to developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Hope this will fix my Mail, it stopped displaying RSS feeds one day and I never could figure out why.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Any chance you could elaborate on the problems you're seeing with Quicktime X? I've been thinking of buying the Pro licence, mostly to allow me to convert movies to a format useable by my Apple TV and iPad.

If you see issues with Quicktime, would you say they would adversely effect what I'm trying to do, and would you have any other recommendations in it's place?

Thanks.

I do that all the time with QTX and it works great. There's always Handbreak too.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I do that all the time with QTX and it works great. There's always Handbreak too.

Yeah I do like Handbreak, but sometimes I find the results a bit unpredictable in terms of quality. It's probably something I'm doing wrong, but if the presets don't work well, I have no idea what to change to try and make it work.

I've had good results with iSquint as well, but am always on the lookout for something else to try.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm starting to think they have given up on Quicktime development entirely.

Here we are 4 or five revisions in from the buggy, kludgy mess that was released as "Quicktime X" and still it's a "work in progress" lacking some of the most basic features and capabilities of the original Quicktime and still with a few entirely new problems of it's own.

I know it only came out with Snow Leopard, but it's a core OS component. You'd think it would be working a lot better by now.

QuickTime isn?t just an app. In SL it?s the framework ?engine" that was developed for iOS that is now running on Mac OS X for QuickTime.app, iTunes.app and a bunch of other things that tie into it.

The app itself is simple, and likely designed that way. The changes we saw were a great thing for QT which had essentially been features and updated bolted to it since it?s debut in 1991. QuickTime was designed as a video player with very basic editing capabilities, and the Pro version was designed, well, for pros. These really shouldn?t be part of the same app and as Apple restructured and grew after Steve came back we saw great con/prosumer video editing tools hit the Mac. It?s clear they want this app to be a video player. I?m sure new features will be coming, but not the prosumer level of editing we saw with QuickTime 7. That ship has sailed.

As for being buggy, I?m not sure if you are referring to the app or the framework but I don?t recall any bugs or crashes, expect when it was first introduced as a Beta. However, months ago I did default all my videos to open with Movist so my usage of QTX has dropped considerably. Movist is like a Mac native version of VLC without all the bugs. Talk about a crashy app.

Quote:

Any chance you could elaborate on the problems you're seeing with Quicktime X? I've been thinking of buying the Pro licence, mostly to allow me to convert movies to a format useable by my Apple TV and iPad.

If you see issues with Quicktime, would you say they would adversely effect what I'm trying to do, and would you have any other recommendations in it's place?

Thanks.

I?m with Masterz1337. Don?t buy a Pro license for QuickTime 7. There are plenty old QT7 Pro licenses floating around.

On top of that, you really don?t need it. You can just use QuickTime X to convert to H.264. That?s built in! And if you more complex needs there is always HandBrake which is also HW accelerated.

For simple batch files I much prefer iSquint. Set it and forget it. It will even copy to iTunes. This was free but is no longer being supported but you can freely download it from newsgroups and torrent sites. Same goes for the now defunct VisualHub by the same devs. It?s more complex but offers more options. The base code for VisualHub is now part of VideoMonkey, which is also free and has setting for grabbing and/or editing the metadata.

My choices are QTX for one off conversions and cropping of videos, iSquint for batch conversions, and QT 7 Pro for drag-and-drop video stitching.

PS: You can also use YouTube to upload a private video. Let them convert to H.264 and then download it, but that is likely the slowest method and likely to lose the most quality from the lossy encoding.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I haven't used the Quicktime player much, but I was astonished to see that apparently you can't make a selection in a clip under Quicktime X, to crop or copy. Fortunately, when QTX was introduced, I heeded others' advice and rescued Quicktime Player 7 from my install discs.

Sure you can. They offered the Trim feature back in the Betas of 10.6. It works great.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

OSX seems so stable to me right now. I'd appreciate a new release of iLife and iWork - just bought a new iMac 21" i3. I couldn't hold-out anymore in waiting for those next releases.

We haven't had a separate security updates for quite some time even though I hear of many exploits coming out of recent hacking events. It would be more comforting if Apple released security updates more frequently than OSX builds to put its users (like me) at ease. Lord knows the hackers are finding the holes so maybe Apple should hire these people to harden the OS.

So you have such sensitive material on your computer or information that could cause a scandal in the file on your computer. Or you are a pc to mac switcher carrying over the 'everyone is out to get on my computer', 'norton says I had 12765846 attempts to access my computer today!'. Relax unless you have some kind of corporate secret or national security or a scandal regarding lady gaga I seriously doubt you are in any danger. Relax for heaven's sake. That pc paranoia is boring.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m with Masterz1337. Don?t buy a Pro license for QuickTime 7. There are plenty old QT7 Pro licenses floating around.

On top of that, you really don?t need it. You can just use QuickTime X to convert to H.264. That?s built in! And if you more complex needs there is always HandBrake which is also HW accelerated.

For simple batch files I much prefer iSquint. Set it and forget it. It will even copy to iTunes. This was free but is no longer being supported but you can freely download it from newsgroups and torrent sites. Same goes for the now defunct VisualHub by the same devs. It?s more complex but offers more options. The base code for VisualHub is now part of VideoMonkey, which is also free and has setting for grabbing and/or editing the metadata.

My choices are QTX for one off conversions and cropping of videos, iSquint for batch conversions, and QT 7 Pro for drag-and-drop video stitching.

Many thanks for your tips - it's always good to get the opinions of experts.......
  • Reply 27 of 38
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

So you have such sensitive material on your computer or information that could cause a scandal in the file on your computer. Or you are a pc to mac switcher carrying over the 'everyone is out to get on my computer', 'norton says I had 12765846 attempts to access my computer today!'. Relax unless you have some kind of corporate secret or national security or a scandal regarding lady gaga I seriously doubt you are in any danger. Relax for heaven's sake. That pc paranoia is boring.

Malware is on the rise on Macs and phishing affects Mac and PC users alike. I've been using Macs on and off since 1984. Macs were some of the first systems to be hit with viruses. They destroyed a lot of my software so I just to the PC in the early 90s. Been back since 2007.

Everyone has valuable information. If you don't believe so then just send me your social security number and credit card numbers along with your bank account info. You do buy stuff off the internet and do online banking right? If so, then you are a target just as much as anyone else.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    There's a Mail bug in 10.6.4 where it doesn't download a complete list of MobileMe aliases for the From box in the New Message window. You have to go in to Mail Accounts and type the aliases in the Email Addresses field or it never discovers them, even though they exist, are enabled, and can be used fine in the MobileMe webapp.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There's a Mail bug in 10.6.4 where it doesn't download a complete list of MobileMe aliases for the From box in the New Message window. You have to go in to Mail Accounts and type the aliases in the Email Addresses field or it never discovers them, even though they exist, are enabled, and can be used fine in the MobileMe webapp.

Speaking of Mail?

There is also an annoying bug syncing Notes between the iPhone and Mail via MobileMe. Not sure where the problem lies or how to resolve it. Notes will simply vanish seemingly randomly. Like it checks the server for changes, it says they are not the same and deletes both of them instead of keeping the one with the latest info.

With the other sync options it asks you before deleting, with this it?s automatic. I?ve had to move to only using Note sync via iTunes. Not a deal breaker but interpretably between Apple devices, OS and apps using Apple?s own service should be pretty seamless and foolproof. Oh well, such is life.

Anyone experience or know of this problem? Know of a resolution?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Thanks.

Don't waste your money, Use Handbrake. It doesn't just do DVD discs, you can rip/convert video files too. To save you some time though, when ripping HD make sure you use Universal compression settings as the AppleTV settings have to much overhead for the AppleTV when decoding HD, SD works fine with AppleTV preset, though I find using the bitrate with multipass gets little better quality than constant quality setting.

http://handbrake.fr/
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Malware is on the rise on Macs and phishing affects Mac and PC users alike. I've been using Macs on and off since 1984. Macs were some of the first systems to be hit with viruses. They destroyed a lot of my software so I just to the PC in the early 90s. Been back since 2007.

Everyone has valuable information. If you don't believe so then just send me your social security number and credit card numbers along with your bank account info. You do buy stuff off the internet and do online banking right? If so, then you are a target just as much as anyone else.

I think what he is trying to say is don't be so alarmist, connection attempts and network scans are very common place. As long as you turn your firewall on (which Apple needs to do by default!) you should be safe from casual scans. Casual scans and connection attempts are just hackers looking for easy access, like a thief canvasing a neighborhood to see who leaves their door wide open and who locks it.

Phishing and application installs are a much riskier business. Apple has tried to alleviate some of the install risk by introing features like code signing but honestly that is only so successful as the user is technical.

You can get AV software for Mac and run all kinds of link scanners or DNS scanning, but these are really no more effective than a user's awareness to the threat. Truth be told all the software in the world won't save you from stupidity.

Bottom line, if you plan on getting online then you need to understand the world that is out there, learn the risks and how to avoid them. If you don't have a clue about these things then I'm sorry but you shouldn't be on the web. It's honestly no different than going to a war zone; you can have all the gear but if you haven't a clue how to use it or what an enemy looks like then they won't save you anyway. Take the time to learn the risks and how to avoid them, if you do that it is not hard to keep safe on the web.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Apple is slacking off. A year after Snow Leopard is released we're still just on 10.6.4 and there's no mention at all of 10.7. Five years ago an entire new version of OS X would have been released in that time.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Apple is slacking off. A year after Snow Leopard is released we're still just on 10.6.4 and there's no mention at all of 10.7. Five years ago an entire new version of OS X would have been released in that time.

Believe me, you don't want Apple to release a new Mac OS X update just to meet some self-imposed cycle based on the Earth's traversal around the Sun.

Steve Jobs stated many years ago that as Mac OS X becomes more mature (read: conplex) the rate of new Mac OS X updates will slow. (Does someone have a link to that quote?)
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Please Please fix the bug in mail that keeps me from emailing a picture and then deleting. "The operation can't be completed because the item is in use."
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Please Please fix the bug in mail that keeps me from emailing a picture and then deleting. "The operation can't be completed because the item is in use."

It's not just pictures, it's any attachments. And yes, it is quite annoying to have to quit mail before you can empty the trash. I hope they fix it.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I think what he is trying to say is don't be so alarmist, connection attempts and network scans are very common place. As long as you turn your firewall on (which Apple needs to do by default!) you should be safe from casual scans. Casual scans and connection attempts are just hackers looking for easy access, like a thief canvasing a neighborhood to see who leaves their door wide open and who locks it.

Phishing and application installs are a much riskier business. Apple has tried to alleviate some of the install risk by introing features like code signing but honestly that is only so successful as the user is technical.

You can get AV software for Mac and run all kinds of link scanners or DNS scanning, but these are really no more effective than a user's awareness to the threat. Truth be told all the software in the world won't save you from stupidity.

Bottom line, if you plan on getting online then you need to understand the world that is out there, learn the risks and how to avoid them. If you don't have a clue about these things then I'm sorry but you shouldn't be on the web. It's honestly no different than going to a war zone; you can have all the gear but if you haven't a clue how to use it or what an enemy looks like then they won't save you anyway. Take the time to learn the risks and how to avoid them, if you do that it is not hard to keep safe on the web.

I wasn't trying to be an alarmist. I'm just more concerned that as more and more people buy Macs the threat of malware and viruses will become greater. A good sign that things are changing for the Mac is that for years Comcast didn't offer antivirus for their Mac customers and now they do. When I asked a few years ago why they didn't offer antivirus for the Mac they said, "There are no known virus outbreaks for the Mac." What's changed.

A firewall does not guarantee protection (btw, mine was turned on automatically and I have antivirus on both of my Macs). Our office has varying levels of firewalls and we still had an outbreak on the Windows systems. Yes, it was due to stupidity but how often can you blame the user until you realize that maybe the OS vendors need to take some responsibility?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

The "Finder View Search Prefs" will ever be "fixed" ?

You know, like it used to be in 10.4 or 10.5

Could order the "results" by "size" - remember ?

Or even search selected Disc/Drives and ONLY those

Etc etc

It boggles my mind how Apple can break what is basic interface functionality during an update (this isn't some obscure bug we're talking about) and then not fix it for several point releases if at all.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    edubedub Posts: 37member
    if this update doesn't fix the fatal crashes caused by OpenGL driver issues w/ NVidia cards, I'm gonna throw my 8-core mac pro out the window.