New Apple Support Communities social network to replace Discussions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It may seem that way at first but if you use Google to search not the actual forum itself, as others have said, 90% of the time the Google results will show many in the forum and you can focus in on a good reply. I have used this countless times for everything from simple Finder issues to really complex application answers such as using Pro apps in FinalCut Studio. I have yet to fail to find an answer to a problem this way.

I would say though, a live chat interface for Apple care users would be nice .. (if there is one already I have missed it so far lol).

I haven't been so lucky. When I have questions or problems, they are on more advanced, not basic, issues. I've started a number of threads on the Apple support forums but can't recall ever having received a helpful answer. The worst part of the system is that someone is liable to mark a post as "solved" when it doesn't answer the OP's question. Even if you point this out, the thread dies and you never get an answer. This system probably works for many people, but it can certainly be improved.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I haven't been so lucky. When I have questions or problems, they are on more advanced, not basic, issues. I've started a number of threads on the Apple support forums but can't recall ever having received a helpful answer. The worst part of the system is that someone is liable to mark a post as "solved" when it doesn't answer the OP's question. Even if you point this out, the thread dies and you never get an answer. This system probably works for many people, but it can certainly be improved.

I have same issue, unless they majorly overhaul it people are just going to get frustrated.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm not sure what you're talking about - the only person that can mark a question as "solved" is the person who asked the question in the first place.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

A social network! Sounds wonderful! Now excuse me while I braid my hair and sort out my jewellery box.

Tell me about it. Don't Facebook me, bro.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Whatever they do, just give us a decent search function. Apple's web presence has a universally bad search.

Oh, and make it anything like or having to do with Facebook and you lose me.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm not sure what you're talking about - the only person that can mark a question as "solved" is the person who asked the question in the first place.

You are right. This has happened in threads not started by me, but when I posted in the thread as having the same problem.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    For a "user-supported" forum, Apple sure deletes a lot of messages posted there.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's hard to agree with you when we don't know what your brilliant idea is, but IMO the forums are like most governments in that they absolutely stink, but they are still better than the alternatives.

Double-plus good. A cogent response, as usual.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

For a "user-supported" forum, Apple sure deletes a lot of messages posted there.

I think this gripe is frequently overstated. Yes they do delete posts, but don't think the forums become any more valuable for users if they turn into rag sessions.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Ridiculous.

The Apple Discussion Forums -- no matter what Apple calls them and no matter how Apple redesigns them -- are a COMPLETE JOKE and an insult to all Mac users worldwide.

Without actual Apple employees answering questions on the forums, most questions never get answered, and the rest of the questions are the blind leading the blind.

Until someone is paid $$$ to help people in the forums, there will continue to be ZERO consistency and ZERO reliability and ZERO incentive for other people's help.

Apple would be better off shutting these forums down altogether, than making this mockery of themselves and their users.

This is absolutely true. There are far, far better places to get answers than this practically useless forum. I suppose it's okay for really basic crap ? how to rebuild permissions ? than it is for anything even remotely complicated. People who REALLY know what they're talking about don't hang out there. I remember reading a complete B.S post from "The Doctor", or some such silly handle, about fonts that was almost completely wrong, and a corrective answer from an Apple employee was nowhere in site. The place is nearly worthless, a waste of time, and probably dangerous too.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

The newly redesigned forums also aim to increase community participation with a reputation system. Members on the site will be able to recognize the contributions of others who are helpful by giving them reputation points, helping to increase their status.

Isn't this what they have already? How is this different from the star system?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Over a year ago I wanted to buy a Windows netbook because I needed a spare computer and one that could run some programs that my Mac Book couldn't run. I was asking on the forum if there were a way to connect the Mac Book to a netbook so I could use the optical drive to put programs on the netbook. I also asked how it would be connected.

I got some answers and someone else mentioned that if I got a certain type of netbook that I could put OSX on it. I replied that I didn't need to do that because I needed Windows. I mentioned there were some videos on Youtube about how to do it because some of the netbooks used a chip that was recognized by OSX as being a Mac Book Air.

Apple deleted the thread. It was that type of arrogance that got me very mad. How petty was that multi-billion dollar company that someone had to remove a useful thread?

I like Apple products but such behavior galls me. The thread wasn't about making a hackintosh it was about connecting a Windows computer to a Mac Book. Apple brags so much about how easy it is to switch from Windows to a Mac by connecting the computers together. I just wanted to know how to do it and use the Mac Book disc reader. Apple even advertises how people who own Mac Book Airs can connect their computers to other computers and use the disc drives!

That was strike one against Apple. If I want poor service I can go anywhere and get that.

Strike two was my Mac Book battery swelling and Apple tech people telling me it is a safety feature and that it isn't a defective battery, even though it only has nineteen charge cycles on it after a little more than a year (it is mostly used as a desktop).

Strike three will be if Apple won't replace it free. It is only twenty-one months old. I don't have Apple Care.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkHernandez View Post

I guess I'm ahead of my time. We're only into the second decade of the 21st century.

You certainly are, the rest of us are still in the first decade.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

Ridiculous.

The Apple Discussion Forums -- no matter what Apple calls them and no matter how Apple redesigns them -- are a COMPLETE JOKE and an insult to all Mac users worldwide.

Without actual Apple employees answering questions on the forums, most questions never get answered, and the rest of the questions are the blind leading the blind.

Until someone is paid $$$ to help people in the forums, there will continue to be ZERO consistency and ZERO reliability and ZERO incentive for other people's help.

Apple would be better off shutting these forums down altogether, than making this mockery of themselves and their users.

I completely disagree. Many, many issues or questions I have had with the Apple devices I've owned over the years have been solved by liberal use of the Support Forums. Almost all of my problems were solved by the contributors there. And yes, before you go off and insult me, I consider myself a power user.

Interestingly, for all of the bitching and moaning going on about the Forums on this board, there a lot users there.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Nice rant ... but, IMO, totally off base. I have used Apple discussion forums on numerous occasions and have had my problems solved with speed and accuracy many more times than not. Is it 100% efficient, probably not, but then, not everything is.

Quote:

You sound like you're trying to create a "for pay" position that you could apply for. Good luck with that. Let me tell you my experience. In the last 15 years or so I have used help sites, some staffed with paid personnel ... some with volunteers, on many many occasions. In almost every case, the volunteers were far superior to the paid personal. Does that mean that will always be the case ... i don't know, but for me, at least, it was. My take on this is simple. Employees don't all have a passion for their work .... and God help you if you get one who is just there to collect a paycheck.

OTOH .... for the most part, volunteers who take the time to answer a question on a help site, are doing so because of their desire to help someone. For most people, but apparently not you, strong desire is a better motivator than a paycheck. We work to satisfy our boss ... we do the things we desire to satisfy ourselves.

Quote:

If it doesn't work for you, so be it, don't use it .... but please .... don't be so arrogant to presume you know what's best for the rest of the world.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    This would be great on my iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

This is absolutely true. There are far, far better places to get answers than this practically useless forum. I suppose it's okay for really basic crap ? how to rebuild permissions ? than it is for anything even remotely complicated. People who REALLY know what they're talking about don't hang out there. I remember reading a complete B.S post from "The Doctor", or some such silly handle, about fonts that was almost completely wrong, and a corrective answer from an Apple employee was nowhere in site. The place is nearly worthless, a waste of time, and probably dangerous too.

I think it would be helpful to see Apple staff/geniuses in the forums, at least as an early warning system for discovering product issues.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I completely disagree. Many, many issues or questions I have had with the Apple devices I've owned over the years have been solved by liberal use of the Support Forums. Almost all of my problems were solved by the contributors there. And yes, before you go off and insult me, I consider myself a power user.

Interestingly, for all of the bitching and moaning going on about the Forums on this board, there a lot users there.

If you've had that many problems with Apple devices then perhaps it's because you've been taking bad advice all along.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

People who REALLY know what they're talking about don't hang out there. .......... I remember reading a complete B.S post

These conflicting statements seem to suggest .... you don't REALLY know what you're talking about .....
  • Reply 40 of 49
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Could be pretty interesting. Support I got from apple's forums has been amazing (at least in those cases when appall did not remove discussions for whatever reason). It was already almost a community with some people racking up cred with many good responses on optics of their choice.