Apple's latest iPad ad is heavy on apps, adjectives

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    My comment is facetious at best - I wouldn't call the iPad magical, but I prefer it to any of the netbooks I've been unfortunate enough to play with.



    I use my iPad every single day. I carry it to school, I lie in bed with it and watch movies and play games, and I read USA Today every morning on it when I'm downing my breakfast protein shake.



    As for Flash, I installed Flash on my iPhone and iPad just so I could watch Joe Cartoon - runs pretty good, too.



    I think Version 1 of the iPad is awesome - look forward to 2,3,4,5.....



    The iPad lacks a lot of the features found on my iMac, Macbook Pro etc... of course, it was designed to be different than those devices - and I knew that when I bought it.



    For a generation 1 device the iPad is pretty good. It will be alot better when iOS 4 comes to it and I can multitask. I enjoy the iPad as an ebook reader and I actually find myself doing alot more casual reading.



    For some reason I never thought of the iPad as competition or even in the same catagory as netbooks, I don't even own a netbook and they have never really interested me.



    Also going back to some of the rumors this week I wouldn't mind a 7" iPad to carry around as long as it was an in addition to the 10" and not a replacement. I actually think I would carry around a 7" iPad with 3G more.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    For a generation 1 device the iPad is pretty good. It will be alot better when iOS 4 comes to it and I can multitask. I enjoy the iPad as an ebook reader and I actually find myself doing alot more casual reading.



    For some reason I never thought of the iPad as competition or even in the same catagory as netbooks, I don't even own a netbook and they have never really interested me.



    Also going back to some of the rumors this week I wouldn't mind a 7" iPad to carry around as long as it was an in addition to the 10" and not a replacement. I actually think I would carry around a 7" iPad with 3G more.



    Agreed. A 7" iPad sounds very appealing. As does the HP Slate running Web OS.



    I have nothing against netbooks, I just haven't seen one worth buying, yet.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    You had me at magical.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by owt View Post


    What is the Scientific category app shown in the ad? The night sky tracker one



    The Scientific app is -> The Elements



    The Magical app is -> Star Walk
  • Reply 45 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    While I enjoy my iPad for some applications your comments about netbooks is somewhat misleading. Your average netbook by Asus can run Windows XP or Windows 7 Starter without any problems. Most also come with a 6 cell battery that can last 10 hours with moderate use. So the iPad battery life for something not running a full OS isn't all that special.



    The iPad actually lacks alot. For most of us even on this forum we find it hard to justify pulling out our iPad when our MBP is right there in sleep mode and can do everything.



    The iPad is one of those products thats seems great when you first start using it and then over time you find it meets our needs less and less. Hopefully it will mature as a product and narrow the gap from what it is to what it truly can be.



    As an example there is no reason the iPad can't have a USB port and an HDMI out port. There is also no reason why a multi function tablet isn't powerful enough to stream flash content.



    Remember many members of this forum said this product was going to narrow the gap or for that matter Slate computing was going to take over notebooks and it isn't even remotely close to doing either.



    I would also love to see the iPad get alot more attention when it comes to higher end games. The reality is the iPad could be the best hand held gaming system ever built and I just don't see alot going into higher end games for some reason.



    I am thinking just like the iPhone the iPad 4 could be a very different product then the one I have today. Or at least I hope so.



    This forum is full of geeks who are atypical of the rank and file consumer that isn't into technology on a day by day basis. Most just want a nice device that checks their email, keeps them in contact and does the light document creation that is vital to day in and day out living.



    USB ports and HDMI and means to and end...not the end. If you have a wireless printer you don't care about USB ports and if you have a way to stream your video you don't really care about HDMI but what it delivers to the end result.



    I'm most struck by how multitouch makes computing more enjoyable. In essence it removes my need to grab a mouse or a keyboard to directly manage my data. That removes one layer of abstraction in many cases and feels more like working with tangible object. Hence the reason why an 80 year old Grandmother can use an iPad from day 1. We all have worked with our fingers from birth.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    This forum is full of geeks who are atypical of the rank and file consumer that isn't into technology on a day by day basis. Most just want a nice device that checks their email, keeps them in contact and does the light document creation that is vital to day in and day out living.



    USB ports and HDMI and means to and end...not the end. If you have a wireless printer you don't care about USB ports and if you have a way to stream your video you don't really care about HDMI but what it delivers to the end result.



    I'm most struck by how multitouch makes computing more enjoyable. In essence it removes my need to grab a mouse or a keyboard to directly manage my data. That removes one layer of abstraction in many cases and feels more like working with tangible object. Hence the reason why an 80 year old Grandmother can use an iPad from day 1. We all have worked with our fingers from birth.



    Thats great the problem is most technology isn't made for 80 year old grandmothers nor should it be. For those of us that actually use the iPad for more then grandmother like tasks we understand that tranfering data is actually HARDER on the iPad and more complicated, well not so much complicated we will just go with PITA.



    Also wouldn't it be nice to actually be able to stream all video, you know Flash. Or use an HDMI out to simply hook it too an HDTV, I have seen alot of grandmothers with those.



    The SJ/Apple myth is that their products are actually easier to use the reality is they aren't unless you are use to using them. Once you understand the Apple mindset then they are easier to use but they certainly aren't for the average 80 year old grandmother that might have picked one up for the first time and then tried to hook it up to the overly bloated iTunes.



    What I find funny is when those of us that talk about very basic ports or functions we are looked at as major geeks when in reality things like USB ports and Flash content have been around a very long time and should be very basic for any product. You know even the ability to multitasked shouldn't be an option you have to wait for and act like its some big advancement when it becomes available.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    The Scientific app is -> The Elements



    The Magical app is -> Star Walk





    Yeah, but what's the Blackboard app ? No-one seems to know. Does it exist ? It appears to be some sort of handwriting recognition calculator, but I can't find it in the UK App store. I called Apple and they didn't seem to know anything about it. Maybe it's awaiting approval, but it would be odd if such an App were to appear in in advert.



    Anyone have any ideas ?
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post


    Yeah, but what's the Blackboard app ? No-one seems to know. Does it exist ? It appears to be some sort of handwriting recognition calculator, but I can't find it in the UK App store. I called Apple and they didn't seem to know anything about it. Maybe it's awaiting approval, but it would be odd if such an App were to appear in in advert.



    Anyone have any ideas ?



    Got it. It's called MathBoard, but is only available on US iTunes store. Downloading it now.
Sign In or Register to comment.