Apple seeds second beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no known issues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    If this OS build truly has "no known issues", it would be the first OS from any company in the history of computing to ship with such a claim.

I suspect what the unnamed source meant was "no known show-stoppers", which is of course a very, very different thing.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

If this OS build truly has "no known issues", it would be the first OS from any company in the history of computing to ship with such a claim.

I suspect what the unnamed source meant was "no known show-stoppers", which is of course a very, very different thing.

You don't know what "no known issues" means. It means that the update doesn't cause any additional known bugs. It is not in any way saying that the operating system is 100% bug free.

For example if they were working on an update to Quicktime, but they weren't yet finished, their changes might cause iMovie or iTunes to crash. This would be a known issue listed for that given build number of the update.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

You don't know what "no known issues" means. It means that the update doesn't cause any additional known bugs. It is not in any way saying that the operating system is 100% bug free.

Thanks. When they wrote "no known issues", I got the impression that meant no known issues.

I wonder why a source allegedly familiar with these things would be unfamiliar with the more common term "no regression issues"....
  • Reply 24 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Thanks. When they wrote "no known issues", I got the impression that meant no known issues.

That is what they mean, but they mean "No known issues with the update" not "No known issues with the OS." It is only in *your* mind that "with the OS" is being tacked on.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Remember, it isn't a bug, it is a feature!
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Get a grip, Jim. More than 25 rules? Who does that? Apple Mail can be taught to recognize your spam. It works great without all those extra rules.

I just can't see why you need so many. Certainly this won't be anywhere near a priority in Cupertino...

EDIT: Okay, "get a grip" may be harsh, and if it's a bug it should be fixed. But maybe this is a feature. 25 is a nice round number. You might be getting urged to find another way of filtering.

The 25 rules are used to filter specific individuals into a group folder. In this case high school friends, nearly 150 individuals, into a high school alumni folder. Maybe there is a more elegant solution. There is no warning message saying less than 25 rules is the limit.

Does any one else have different solution?

Jim
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Updates only really seem to matter on newer Macs. We've passed by the teething issues under Snow Leopard. Now it's just nice to see an updated version number.