China Unicom to avoid iPhone 4 'antennagate' with its own free cases

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nope. The reality is that there are no reception problems. It was all made up by bloggers. It is an industry-wide problem.

The problem was not "made up by bloggers." Have you seen all the videos of signal attenuation?

Prior to purchasing my phone, I was able to reproduce the signal bar drop with the death grip in the Apple store with ease. After the signal bar patch, I was still able to reproduce it but to a smaller degree (often just 1 bar drop).

However, I've had my iphone 4 for 5 or 6 weeks now and I have NEVER had a SINGLE failed connection or dropped call. I spend a few hours a day on conference calls and my iPhone 3GS would be lucky to make it 15 minutes without dropping. I use my iPhone in places I couldn't use the 3GS -- the elevators, in the core of the building with 8 walls and two elevator banks separating me from the tower. I could never make the whole drive to/from home without dropping before, and now I do every day. It's never dropped. I'm flat-out astounded. And trust me, I've TRIED to make it drop with the death grip even in bad service areas like my house. Of course, even though I am in a mediocre service area some people are in worse areas.

I finally did put an Apple bumper case on just yesterday because I was afraid of dropping the phone, but it had absolutely nothing to do with signal loss. It's a very precise case, one of the best I've ever owned - highly recommended.

Personally, I think including a free case is akin to calling everyone's attention to an issue that only a half of a percent of Apple's customers have complained about.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So your mad and disappointed that Apple may have made a repair attempt? If I were Steve Jobs, I would be banging my head on my glass desk after reading this one.

You just can't win with Apple fans.

Actually, I think Steve Jobs would agree with me if in fact what I think has been done has been done. The design was fine the way it was.

I'm not saying I'm not happy with the phone, it has lots of good things about it, I'm just saying that I'm disappointed that it looks rather unlike the photos you see on the web or in the advertising.

This is either a case of the advertising being very, very "rosy" to the point of being slightly misleading, or ...

... they have put some kind of coating on the metal that changes the colour and sheen of the thing substantially.

PS - I'm not going to post a picture, because I don't have a way to do that at the moment, I'm minutes away from leaving to get it fixed, and I can only take a picture of it with my old iPhone 3Gs, which doesn't have the clarity or the colour reproduction necessary to see what I'm talking about. If in fact they have put a coating on, there will no doubt be comparison sites by folks that have better cameras than me eventually.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

What of others? Are you the only person in the world?

I've been tethering for quite some time (and using my existing data package to do it, screw AT&T's new plan).

I'm running Flash on my iPhone 4 and iPad - it aint there yet - trust me! I was one of those who didn't want to believe Jobs, but I'm thinking now he may have been right:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/mobile-fla...ves-jobs-right

And I like my free case...
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

PS - I'm not going to post a picture, because I don't have a way to do that at the moment, I'm minutes away from leaving to get it fixed, and I can only take a picture of it with my old iPhone 3Gs, which doesn't have the clarity or the colour reproduction necessary to see what I'm talking about. If in fact they have put a coating on, there will no doubt be comparison sites by folks that have better cameras than me eventually.

Okay!!!
  • Reply 25 of 49
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Funny how Apple and china unicorn are giving out free cases to solve a non existent problem. After all, the antenna experts on the Apple Insider forum say this problem was "made up".

Looking at the data, I don?t think there is a problem. There is no ?Antennagate?.

Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.

But here, there was no problem that is not exactly the same as every other phone made. Most smartphones take a hit in exactly the same way the iP4 does. It is an industry-wide issue, but nobody else other than Steve is brave enough to admit it. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem.

What Steve likes more than anything in the world is to make his users happy. And in this case, he wanted to make ALL of his users happy. So Steve gave us free bumpers. And the haters talk like he did something wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Most iPhone 4 users never reported having the problem to start with, so now we are supposed to take your coating theory as credible because YOU THINK you are right?

When I look at the data, it's hard to escape the conclusion that there is a problem, but that problem is affecting a very small number of users.

It is an industry wide problem, however.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Most smartphones take a hit in exactly the same way the iP4 does. It is an industry-wide issue, but nobody else other than Steve is brave enough to admit it. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem.

While the attentuation problem is something that happens on most smartphones, those competitors need a deathgrip to get the issue. The iPhone 4 simply needs a touch in many cases, not a grip. For me, it wasn't an issue.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's just overhyped by the media.

This whole thing has been SO FAR blown out of proportion. It's fun to have a story, but it's not fun on the other side.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

The iPhone 4 simply needs a touch in many cases, not a grip. For me, it wasn't an issue.

I'm not saying Steve didn't make a mistake. He didn't know that it would have these issues. He didn't know he was putting a bull's eye on the phone.

This has been so overblown.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

And when someone asked him if he paid too much for his apple products, did he just chuckle and say "no"?

When he couldn't visit his favorite website because his iPhone or iPad has no flash, did he just chuckle and say no?

When he couldn't tether his iPhone before ATT got their "rape me" data plans in place, did it bother him or did he just chuckle and say no?

And on and on. Don't know what's worse, being a fanboi or being an arrogant fanboi. This is why people outside the cult of Mac think Apple customers are nuts.

So anybody that doesn't agree with you is an arrogant fanboi? Perhaps it's time to ease back on the caffeine.

Why is everything have to be an extreme? People must pronounce something the greatest thing ever, or it's a complete piece of crap. Nothing in between. And of course, anybody that thinks otherwise is a piece of crap as well. Just chill.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So anybody that doesn't agree with you is an arrogant fanboi? Perhaps it's time to ease back on the caffeine.

Why is everything have to be an extreme? People must pronounce something the greatest thing ever, or it's a complete piece of crap. Nothing in between. And of course, anybody that thinks otherwise is a piece of crap as well. Just chill.

You can say that to ME?? Do you read the other posts here? It's overkill nonsense that gets me going, the blind devotion to some company no matter what they do.

I'll ease back on the caffeine when the others ease back on the Apple Pie.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

I'm not so sure anymore. I don't believe that the issue with the antenna ever amounted to anything but sadly, I think they've put the coating on anyway.

After many months of waiting (I'm in Canada), my iPhone 4 arrived yesterday and while it's likely impossible to tell for sure, it sure *looks* like it has some kind of coating on the antenna.

I'm kind of ticked off about it actually, as I would rather have the bare metal.

Admittedly, all I'm going on is appearance, but in all the shots I've seen online and in all the advertising materials, the metal frame looks blue-white, shiny and ... well, "steel-like."

The iPhone 4 I have in my hand, has a tinny feel and is best described as a dull, dark, pearly grey kind of metal that doesn't look much like the pictures at all and if you told me it was some kind of crappy tin with an electroplated coating, I'd believe you, because that's what it actually looks like.

It doesn't have "teh shiny" at all, and it sure doesn't look like the pictures! Very different.

Oh, also it's one of those that has the flaw where the back case has gaps between it and the housing. Great.

Put up some pics man! I am curious.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:

Looking at the data, I don?t think there is a problem. There is no ?Antennagate?.

Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.

But here, there was no problem that is not exactly the same as every other phone made. Most smartphones take a hit in exactly the same way the iP4 does. It is an industry-wide issue, but nobody else other than Steve is brave enough to admit it. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem.

What Steve likes more than anything in the world is to make his users happy. And in this case, he wanted to make ALL of his users happy. So Steve gave us free bumpers. And the haters talk like he did something wrong.

Hold it just a minute. Reality police are on the way.

Apple did not initially admit to making a mistake. At first they said nothing and customers were bouncing back and forth between blaming ATT and Apple.

Then the first word we heard was "don't hold it that way." And the fanatics scrambled around trying to prove the email was false. But it wasn't.

Apple finally spoke up and did so with such arrogance it was disgusting. Even Macworld said so.

"We love our customers" Jobs said. "If you don't know that about Apple, then you don't know Apple."

What kind of humble apology was that? Can you imagine if you made an apology like that? Try this on for size.

"Yeah honey, I cheated on you. But I'm not perfect. I love YOU. If you don't know that about me, then you don't know me."

I guess Mrs. Jobs would end up apologizing to Steve, but my wife would punch me in the face.,
  • Reply 34 of 49
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

I'm not so sure anymore. I don't believe that the issue with the antenna ever amounted to anything but sadly, I think they've put the coating on anyway.

After many months of waiting (I'm in Canada), my iPhone 4 arrived yesterday and while it's likely impossible to tell for sure, it sure *looks* like it has some kind of coating on the antenna.

I'm kind of ticked off about it actually, as I would rather have the bare metal.

Admittedly, all I'm going on is appearance, but in all the shots I've seen online and in all the advertising materials, the metal frame looks blue-white, shiny and ... well, "steel-like."

The iPhone 4 I have in my hand, has a tinny feel and is best described as a dull, dark, pearly grey kind of metal that doesn't look much like the pictures at all and if you told me it was some kind of crappy tin with an electroplated coating, I'd believe you, because that's what it actually looks like.

It doesn't have "teh shiny" at all, and it sure doesn't look like the pictures! Very different.

Oh, also it's one of those that has the flaw where the back case has gaps between it and the housing. Great.

Could they have switched to using liquidmetal for the antenna covering part?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Hold it just a minute. Reality police are on the way.

Apple did not initially admit to making a mistake. At first they said nothing and customers were bouncing back and forth between blaming ATT and Apple.

Then the first word we heard was "don't hold it that way." And the fanatics scrambled around trying to prove the email was false. But it wasn't.

Apple finally spoke up and did so with such arrogance it was disgusting. Even Macworld said so.

"We love our customers" Jobs said. "If you don't know that about Apple, then you don't know Apple."

What kind of humble apology was that? Can you imagine if you made an apology like that? Try this on for size.

"Yeah honey, I cheated on you. But I'm not perfect. I love YOU. If you don't know that about me, then you don't know me."

I guess Mrs. Jobs would end up apologizing to Steve, but my wife would punch me in the face.,

Apple still hasn't admitted to making a mistake. Apple maintains that all phones suffer from some degree of attenuation. And judging by the phones demoed on their website, it appears they are correct. What Steve actually said is Apple is looking into this issue, in the meantime, you can either return your device and get a full refund or opt to receive one of the free cases. In fact, it appears that Steve thinks all of this is just media hype.

The "We love our customers" statement was not an apology, and therefore your analogy is pure garbage. However, I do approve of your wife punching you in the face.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Nope. The reality is that there are no reception problems. It was all made up by bloggers. It is an industry-wide problem.

By "bloggers" do you mean "Apple's competitors"?
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

If you were married to Steve, he'd punch you in the face too.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

A note to anyone wanting to use the Bumper...your phone will look like it's been pecked by a graphite beaked hen after a week or so all around the metal, unless your pockets are spotless.

Pro Tip: do not put crushed gravel into your pockets. Also, turn pockets inside out and use laundry detergent.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pro Tip: do not put crushed gravel into your pockets. Also, turn pockets inside out and use laundry detergent.

Gravel? He probably carries crushed pumice in his pockets. No wonder he doesn't like Steve's Bumper.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Apple still hasn't admitted to making a mistake. Apple maintains that all phones suffer from some degree of attenuation. And judging by the phones demoed on their website, it appears they are correct. What Steve actually said is Apple is looking into this issue, in the meantime, you can either return your device and get a full refund or opt to receive one of the free cases. In fact, it appears that Steve thinks all of this is just media hype.

The "We love our customers" statement was not an apology, and therefore your analogy is pure garbage. However, I do approve of your wife punching you in the face.

LOL. Well put. For the record, when his wife told him she loved him, he also asked her, "what kind of apology is that, woman?"