Apple negotiating 99 cent TV show rentals ahead of new iTV - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The difference being you would OWN the box set.

For me, I watch very few shows and cable is expensive here. I could probably get by on 8 dollars or 12 dollars a month and nothing in the summer - which would be WAY cheaper than $40 for cable with 100 channels I have never once watched.

Right on dude. Whatever I can't find on BOXee HULU or Netflix I could rent from . Honesly I can't wait untill TV is a la carte and I don't have to pay for channels I never watch.

Oh and PS I doubt studios will go along with this nicely. There would have to be a lot of arm twisting for $.99 shows, cause that would give even more power to iTunes studios love to hate.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    If they have shows from premium networks like showtime, this isn't bad, but I'm scared they will replace the current $2.99 purchase program with this.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    How will this fly when there are plenty of free sources (Hulu, etc.) for streaming current shows, cheap sources for streaming older shows (Netflix and Hulu+, etc.) ? not to mention brain-dead simple tools for torrents ? for those who don't want cable, and it's no cheaper than paying for service and a DVR box from your cable company for the same convenience?

MDN is right; if this is correct, Apple got screwed.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Just cancel, you'd not be missing much if you're a Leafs fan.........

Apologies, cheap shot, but couldn't resist.

Ron Wilson left the Sharks in good shape when he left and I hope he makes a difference to you guys too.

Not yet but we're hoping.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    Well I'm not going to gripe about what a show might cost, as it seems that everyone these days wants everything for free...(or as cheap as humanly possible) I will just be happy to see the finished product if and when it comes out...as of now I have one apple tv and I like it alot with Atv Flash installed :?)...I also use a new mac mini server which I really like and use as my main media hub... Thanks apple as I know that no matter what they do, everyone will not be pleased
  • Reply 66 of 102
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

I pay $19 a month for cable.

Where do you get your cable service from... seriously, around here 24.99 is the cheapest promotion (12 months) for the most basic package. After the promotional period it's 39.99.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

Agreed. The dollar amount of per-episode purchasing is not what's holding Apple TV back from wider adoption. Until Apple can come to agreement with the networks on a subscription package to compete with cable and satellite, Apple's TV market will be pretty limited.

My Comcast bill is roughly $90 for cable/DVR and $50 for broadband. I would take a serious look at dropping my cable if Apple had a subscription package for $75 to $100 that included all or nearly all of the shows I watch now, live news, and live sports.

That would be great, but I can't for the life of me figure out how Apple could swing this sort of deal considering the vast differences involved.

For starters, you used a price lower and only slightly higher than your cable TV bill for a solution that, by design, allows for having a local copy that can be moved between devices. Are you suggesting that Apple make it a realtime streaming service like your cable is, sans the on demand content that is ordained by networks to increase viewership and in turn ad revenue?

On top of that, your cable company is your Internet provider and I assume you have no contract. If people start dropping cable TV service, they don't really lower coats in supporting that service or what they pay these networks. The result would likely be a hike in Internet prices.

Then there are the local channels (which people can get OTA anyway, but typically don't bother with) which need local and national ads to support themselves. Is Apple going to offer these stations? If so, do they verify your location via IP address or GPS to keep te parent companies happy?

Finally, do we really this the negotiations are simply on some pricepoint or some fear Apple will end up controlling them? I don't. I think the issue lies in how this will affect the rest of their business and they are wise to want to make any deal with Apple increase their profits, not destroy it.

As cool it would be to have all these idealistic optiona for watching television I have yet to hear an idea that seemed feasible for all parties involved.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

What you failed to realize is that this is perfect for those that already have cable and miss a show every once in a while. I'll gladly pay 99cents to watch a show I missed. It's worth it to not have to find someone who recorded it or even wait and find it on a torrent..

who in the time of DVR's "misses" a show anymore? program the shows you like and record only new episodes. done. i get to watch it when i want and keep it for however long i want - and the 30-second skip button pretty much turns commercial breaks into 4 seconds if i want.

i've read the "you have 200 mind numbing channels that you never watch" arguments, but what likelihood is there that iTV will have the major networks PLUS FX [always sunny, rescue me], Comedy Central [TDS/colbert], AMC [breaking bad]... how much will the Planet Earth or Ancient Aliens on disco or history cost if i can't get it though iTV.

if you want a cheaper alternative for getting ABC, NBC, and CBS, get an ANTENNA and a $29 DVD-R set top box.
  • Reply 69 of 102
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm from Canada, from the Toronto area to be more precise, and a huge NHL fan. My team, i.e. the Leafs, show some of their games exclusively on the team's own channel which is not available over the air.

i get your leafs games via NHL center ice [and a grey-market CBC/RDS] here in Connecticut... in addition to games from good teams. GO HABS GO!
  • Reply 70 of 102
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    99 cents could be good for on the run viewing if the networks have decent programming.

It's an ice breaker which will lead to other deals
  • Reply 71 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Wow. Where are you? My cable bill is upwards of $60. Fairly, I have HD service and lots of channels I don't watch, but the two I do are in the package that is insanely expensive. No premiums (HBO etc.) Sounds like you've got a deal.

Central Florida. I get basic cable. No premium channels. But HD programming is included. I'll get about 130+ TV channels (and still nothing to watch). I do pay an additional $19 per month for broadband. So my total TV + Internet is $38.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

who in the time of DVR's "misses" a show anymore?

Off the top of my head:
    1. People that forget to record a show

2. People that want to record/watch more than their tuners allow

3. People who suffer power outage, satellite inference, cable issue, or some general HW issue.

4. People that don't take their DVRs with them everywhere they go.

• Reply 73 of 102
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    If hulu and netflix can negociate package deals why cant Apple do it?

Btw i pay only 16$ per month for cable bevauce I am a big client for them has i have my high speed internet and phone with them too. I wanted to drop the cable since i install an hd ota antenna but they transferted me to a manager and he told me he can arrange anything i want. So i got a few channels i cant get with my antenna for only 16 per month.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Off the top of my head:
    1. People that forget to record a show

2. People that want to record/watch more than their tuners allow

3. People who suffer power outage, satellite inference, cable issue, or some general HW issue.

4. People that don't take their DVRs with them everywhere they go.

Sometimes programs dont go at the plan time

Sometimes the pvr hd is full
  • Reply 75 of 102
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Well, if studios wont allow Apple to sell the content Apple can go the route of iTunes Original Programming to augment current content. Like HBO original programming.

It's a shame that Discovery is a $10B company as it has unique and IMHO enjoyable content.

Another alternative is to start offering contests for aspiring talent. Top 10 winners for best iTunes shorts get a low-budget movie or mini-series funded. Terminator was low-budget movie at $6.4M in 1984. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was $5M in 2002.

A Firefly type show is around $5M per episode, The Wire around $1.5M, $5M for Deadwood. For $0.99/ep and iAd revenue it could be economically viable.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If hulu and netflix can negociate package deals why cant Apple do it?

If we're only talking streaming from a website then I think Apple could ink a deal with ease, but I have to assume Apple's requires that any deal include te ability to move the content between devices and store locally. I don't think Hulu has anything like this and NetFlix has this with their optical media, but I wouldn't call ripping for personal use convenient or legal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Sometimes programs dont go at the plan time

Sometimes the pvr hd is full

Nice ones.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

99 cents for a TV show rental?

Epic fail Apple.

Go Hulu+ !!

Epic Win actually, considering that the Hulu+ app will be running on an iOS powered iTV.

Go Apple!
  • Reply 78 of 102
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Even light TV viewers would need to spend a lot of money to make it through a month at 99 cents/episode.

Not really. People spend $130/month on cable. That is enough to buy more than 4 TV shows every day, with no waste like cable has.

And think of how convenient it will be to have subscriptions. It will be just like a DVR, but a LOT better.

I think that even if it costs a few bucks a month, that it is so much better than cable it is ridiculous. The final price is nowhere near as important as the final User Experience. Happy Apple customers don't care about spending more money in order to get their User Experience from Apple, because it is so worth it.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Not really. People spend $130/month on cable. That is enough to buy more than 4 TV shows every day, with no waste like cable has..

Just let me know when Apple sends the same QUALITY that my cable provider offers...
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Just let me know when Apple sends the same QUALITY that my cable provider offers...

How do you define quality? You can?t just go by bit rate if they are using different codecs. Aren?t most cable companies transmitting in MPEG2? Is there an equivalency formula for MPEG2 and H.264?