Rumors of 7-inch iPad persist; Apple parts with developer of tablets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I'm waiting for a slightly smaller iPad. I want to use it a lot for reading, and I have found the iPad to be slightly too broad and slightly too heavy to hold comfortably like a book.

So... you all are starting to come around to my vision of a 5.5"x8.5" form factor (although I admit to initially doubting the existence of the iPad)? Where's Ireland?
  • Reply 42 of 71
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:

I'm waiting for a slightly smaller iPad. I want to use it a lot for reading, and I have found the iPad to be slightly too broad and slightly too heavy to hold comfortably like a book.

Your ship has come in. The newest Kindle.

Sometimes the optimal tool for a specific job is the tool that is purpose built for that task only.

On the other hand, if you want a swiss army knife that'll do a lot things well enough . . .

PS - Yeah, where IS Ireland?
  • Reply 43 of 71
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

A 7 Inch iPad is definitely needed.

I am strongly considering buying an Archos 7 tablet (Android based, pretty much the only Android tablet out there). I would be buying it now if it weren't for it being Android 1.5 and for Archos screwing up the Android Marketplace (you have to hack it to get access to the real Google version).

the iPad is 9 inches....why not just buy a netbook when it's so big? For $500 or less you can get a high-end netbook with a dual core Athlon Neo, way more powerful than the cell phone processor in the iPad. Then you can do stuff like...access the file system and use a real version of Office or try to do something worthwhile.

Or get this....have a USB port! or an HDMI port!

I love the iPad's interface, it's great. iOS is really slick and user friendly. Problem is with the app store and the low quality of Apps you can't really do anything with the damn thing. In the Apple store I was struggling to figure out something to do with the iPad.

This thing is as big as a regular netbook computer but I can't do nearly as much with it. The web browser is good for a phone but not for a tablet!.

I don't LIKE using flash but I HAVE to because so many sites on the internet depend on it. It's an acceptable omission for a PHONE but not for a 9 inch tablet plus the huge bezel space required for a large touch screen tablet!

You can't use YTMND on an iPad. There ya go. Ruined my purchase. Sorry if Adobe is being a dick about it but http://blog.theflashblog.com/?p=1703 I NEED FLASH TO USE THE WEB!

I don't think you understand the idea of the tablet as Apple has presented it. It could have a USB port, HDMI port, Athlon processor, access to the file system, full MS Office, Flash, etc. But rather than throw in the kitchen sink Apple chose to consign all that legacy to the dustbin of history and try a new approach to personal computing.

The iPad is utterly cool and I mean that in the sense of its temperature. Before getting it I suspected it would get hot to the touch like a Macbook Pro. It doesn't and that is why an Athlon chip would inevitably change the user experience. You also would be unlikely to have 10 hour battery life which allows you to usually not care or notice power issues. Ditto for Flash.

Complexity issues behave like the nose of the camel poking into the tent. Allowing direct access to the hierarchical file system, unrestricted desktop style multitasking, legacy daisy chain ports, and so forth would make the pad just another form factor of the traditional PC. Don't worry, Microsoft has been selling just such devices for the past decade and plan to introduce even more.

Concerning the browser, I would argue that the iPad's browser is the most satisfying I have ever used. Using multitouch for web interaction is something a mouse and keyboard can't touch. Opinions may vary but mine is correct.

Like the transition from mainframe and minicomputer to PC there will be much further evolution of the pad from the PC. In both cases the successor will become more unlike its predecessor and a much more useful tool for its owner.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

More likely to see slightly larger iPod Touch than smaller iPad.

• Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Can any of the developers here comment on when all the different options/screen sizes/resolutions starts to become a pain in the tits from a development standpoint?

Never, really. If you design the app correctly, there's no problem.

Quote:

I believe that there is not too much difficulty in porting from iPhone 4 to iPad (or vice versa) since the resolutions are the same (have I got that right), but if another screen size comes in, does it start to be a bother?

Ummm, resolutions on iPad (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/) and iPhone 4 (http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html) are not the same. 1024x768, and 960x640 respectively. And, see answer to first question.

Quote:

Also, when will developing for the older iPhone hardware cease to be worthwhile?

As soon as the new one comes out.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

i'm sure apple made numerous prototypes before releasing the iPad. they probably exhausted the possibilites. the current 9.7" screen is just big enough to hold a regular web page in landscape orientation. a 7" inch screen would be too big to pocket and not quite big enough to show a normal web page. i just don't see it until almost every major website has a m (mobile) version.

what might be interesting would be a 4.5 inch ipod touch (that extra inch means it's still pocket-able. i think it would make touching hyperlinks just that little bit easier compared to iphone's/ipod touch's 3.5" screen...

I think you are just making up arbitrary distinctions here.

"Pocketable" is a relative term. The current iPad is definitely not "pocketable" but it almost is. A 7" iPad would be easily pocketable. It would in fact be almost precisely the size of a paperback novel which I have "pocketed" for many years now.

The deal behind a 7" iPad, is that it would hopefully be something you could actually type on with some speed, and therefore much more of a portable computer than the current iPad, which is more like a portable screen. Right now, I can type about twice as fast on my iPhone as I can on my iPad. There's just no comparison at all.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:

...Also, I think the touch is mostly a transitional product until the iPhone is available on all of the carriers two or three years from now...

I think the iPhone is transitional until the carriers' perverse dominance is diminished. This is the direction indicated by the iPad 3G which allows wifi to be augmented by 3G on a month to month basis and also by rumored FaceTime capability for iPod touch over wifi.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    I'd say it's true 'cause as an owner of an iPad weight is an issue it has. Your hands get very tired.

3 iPads, like iMacs.

16 GB 7" iPad (weight is perfect)

32 + 64 GB 10" iPads. (size is perfect)

You decide what is more important to you: weight or screen size?
  • Reply 49 of 71
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    a 7" form factor must have always been a consideration by apple, and I think they were wise to go with the larger screen. 9.7" are already small for most web tasks and apps, and as for reading books, well, let's be absolutely frank (some people can and do read on the ipad, but most get eye strain), e-ink or similar tec is the udisputed king and there 7" just for reading books makes sense.

So, in essense the 7" is a small dubious niche that many will exploit for whatever small margin they can get from it but apple won't go there when they have the small phone factor and the ipad proper form factor. So this is one of the most garbage rrumors for sure.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

i'm sure apple made numerous prototypes before releasing the iPad. they probably exhausted the possibilites. the current 9.7" screen is just big enough to hold a regular web page in landscape orientation. a 7" inch screen would be too big to pocket and not quite big enough to show a normal web page. i just don't see it until almost every major website has a m (mobile) version.

what might be interesting would be a 4.5 inch ipod touch (that extra inch means it's still pocket-able. i think it would make touching hyperlinks just that little bit easier compared to iphone's/ipod touch's 3.5" screen...

The only advantage the 7" model could have is that it would be lighter. But if Apple can engineer out some weight from the current iPad, that would make more sense. Also, up the ante in terms of resolution and you've got a tough-to-beat product.

Replace the Touch with a device that sports a 5" screen if there is concern over offering a more portable device. Then at least you've got something pocketable.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The only advantage the 7" model could have is that it would be lighter. But if Apple can engineer out some weight from the current iPad, that would make more sense. Also, up the ante in terms of resolution and you've got a tough-to-beat product.

Replace the Touch with a device that sports a 5" screen if there is concern over offering a more portable device. Then at least you've got something pocketable.

I think the 7" iPad makes perfect sense

At the moment the 10" iPad is a run-away success, but there is a large gap between the 3.5" iPod & iPhone, and the 10" iPad

- this allows competitors to jump in here, and offer something a bit different from Apple, treading the middle ground, so to speak.

- a competitor to iPad would have a difficult job to be much better at 10" (apart from adding cameras), but at 7" there is a 'gap'

So, if Apple plugs this gap with their own 7" device, they kill-off (most of) the competition in this area

- as any competitor would then be offering a similar product, but without the brand-recognition, & iOS & App store etc.

- so, even though the iPad is doing really well, the sooner Apple plugs this gap the better, to stop others getting established, and to stop Apple being seen as a 'follower' in this mid-size tablet area.

To the customer, the advantages of a 7" device, are that it would be quite a bit smaller & lighter, a little cheaper, holdable in one hand, and can fit in a not-too-large pocket.

The larger screen than the 3.5" devices would allow for a lot more interesting apps, without the incongruousness of the 10" device. (e.g. a more convenient size for Games & Media than the 10")
  • Reply 52 of 71
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

To the customer, the advantages of a 7" device, are that it would be quite a bit smaller & lighter, a little cheaper, holdable in one hand, and can fit in a not-too-large pocket.

That's all good and well, smaller, lighter, cheaper, holdable... but what about actually usable? What will the users be using it for? This size doesn't lend itself to any user friendly browsing experience, it's not required for ipod functionality as a smaller size does what it needs to do, it doesn't lend itself well to magazine reading, it's smaller screen might allow for ebook reading but one would be better off with a much cheaper and more conducive to reading e-ink device, etc. etc.

So yes of course to all the advantages you mentioned, but these advantages are of no consequence when the actual device form factor doesn't lend itself to anything well at all that the iphone/ipods and the current ipad form factor do not do better and/or with more portability. Why would you need a pocketable 7" to check email and for an occasional googling, when you have a perfectly pocketable ipod/iphone? Why would you need it for an ipod?

And how much weight/size/etc. would you actually save with a couple or so inches off the diagonal? Negligible. It won't be considerably lighter for the screen compromise, it won't fit more bags than the ipad already does. It won't do anything that much better or with more functionality that would warrant a different model. A 7" would be the mini tower of tablets. Offering some questionable functionality that a small part of users might think is welcome, while apple and the rest of the buying public understand that it really isn't.

A 7" is an advantageous format only for apple competitors, and that mostly for price, it's a cheat and a compromise since they can't match the price/built quality/apps/ecosystem. Apple doesn't need to do that. Apple knows that 7" is the wrong number for now and with this technology. Apple doesn't diversify products for no good reason. They diversify them only for a compelling reason. The air had compelling reasons to exist, so did the mac mini, as well as the ipod mini/nano and the shuffle. All the other in between models didn't so they never materialized.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

That's all good and well, smaller, lighter, cheaper, holdable... but what about actually usable? What will the users be using it for? T

I agree that Apple doesn't usually like to give their customers too many choices, and prefers to offer just a few well chosen products, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Personally, I can see the benefit of a 7" device, and I quite like the form factor.

I think the wieght differences would be quite significant - probably 30% or more.

The problem I have with the 3.5" devices such as the iPod Touch & iPhone is that the screen is too small for a lot of uses (basic browsing, emailing is a chore, typing anything, watching a movie, playing games)

- so, I think a larger screen would be a benefit here.....

- and the iPad is a little too big for convenient, hand-held use....

- so, this is the space into which a 7" device might fit....

- but, I also think a 5" iPhone would be a good idea, for similar reasons...
  • Reply 54 of 71
    I see what you mean. Let's see how this plays out. I am not 100% convinced either with what I am saying. But I am 95% or so convinced.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

I agree that Apple doesn't usually like to give their customers too many choices, and prefers to offer just a few well chosen products, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Personally, I can see the benefit of a 7" device, and I quite like the form factor.

I think the wieght differences would be quite significant - probably 30% or more.

The problem I have with the 3.5" devices such as the iPod Touch & iPhone is that the screen is too small for a lot of uses (basic browsing, emailing is a chore, typing anything, watching a movie, playing games)

- so, I think a larger screen would be a benefit here.....

- and the iPad is a little too big for convenient, hand-held use....

- so, this is the space into which a 7" device might fit....

- but, I also think a 5" iPhone would be a good idea, for similar reasons...

That is pretty much how Anand of AnandTech feels. He likes the 4.x? display smartphones and the 5? Dell Streak, because of the increased real estate.

Personally, I don?t what that kind of size in a phone. I can see a tablet smaller than the iPad, though 10? seems pretty perfect all around if I do plan on using it for copious amounts of reading. I figured it might be a few years for that market to saturate first and so Apple can introduce yet another UI and SDK for developers to cater their apps for, but much of this depends on factors we just aren?t privy too, like supply of those 10? IPS displays.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alan Kay

When the Mac first came out, Newsweek asked me what I [thought] of it. I said: Well, it?s the first personal computer worth criticizing. So at the end of the presentation, Steve came up to me and said: Is the iPhone worth criticizing? And I said: Make the screen 5? x 8", and you?ll rule the world.?

That is pretty much what they did. The iPad is 7.75? x 5.83?.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is pretty much how Anand of AnandTech feels. He likes the 4.x? display smartphones and the 5? Dell Streak, because of the increased real estate.

This guy Anand is the common techie, too much detail, too little common sense. Doesn't surprise me that he would consider such a type of phone practical or useful. Doesn't help that he is too young to know a bit better either.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This guy Anand is the common techie, too much detail, too little common sense. Doesn't surprise me that he would consider such a type of phone practical or useful. Doesn't help that he is too young to know a bit better either.

I do like the detail in their reviews even though I don?t often agree with his/their personal feelings. What?s funny is that they have plenty of readers who are so long into Windows and building machines that they vehemently oppose any of AnandTech?s reviews of Apple?s product. It?s pretty funny to read these comments.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Echoes my sentiments exactly, in both his analysis, his commentary as well as the rampant anti apple sentiments of the readers (who of course can (perpetually) build their perfect humongous systems much better than apple), sometimes very funny to read, sometimes grating. As soon as a positive comment on apple is mentioned all hell breaks loose.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

Where is my 17" iPad Pro?!

Thanks for this comment. I'm sick of people thinking that smaller is better. Well, bigger is better in my country
  • Reply 60 of 71
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The deal behind a 7" iPad, is that it would hopefully be something you could actually type on with some speed, and therefore much more of a portable computer than the current iPad, which is more like a portable screen. Right now, I can type about twice as fast on my iPhone as I can on my iPad. There's just no comparison at all.

And I can type much faster on my iPad than I can on my iPhone. Your point being?