Owner of location-based advertising patent targets Apple's iAds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

We must have posted at about the same time, as yours about the patent was not there when I posted.

Fair enough. You were correct in identifying that the method of implementation is what is important and I definitely didn't mention that in my first post.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Anyone else notice the DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL notation? Isn't that done all the time by patent trolls to get a gullible jury that doesn't know anything about technical issues to vote their way?

I don;t think the jury get to see that paperwork (EDIT: I see what you mean now but your sentence can be taken two ways) and it's boilerplate stuff anyway.

EDIT 2: Claims 1-10 in the patent looks to be a pretty good fit to what iAds does. From the remainder of the claims though it appears to focus on fixed devices but if you take the strict wording of claims, only claim 11 of the particular system would be in dispute.

What is claimed is:

1. A system, comprising:

a terminal, wherein said terminal has an identification 45

code for determining an exact physical location of said

terminal;

a database having a profile for a user; and a program for displaying personalized information,

wherein said personalized information is selected for 50

display based upon said profile.

2. The system of claim 1, wherein said personalized information is also selected for display based upon said usage history information.

3. The system of claim 1, wherein said personalized 55 information is also selected for display based upon the exact physical location of said terminal.

4. The system of claim 1, wherein said personalized information includes an advertisement.

5. The system of claim 1, wherein said personalized information includes an online service.

6. The system of claim 1, wherein the system records the time said user logs on to and logs off of the system, and wherein said personalized information is also selected for display based upon the time said user logs on to the system.

7. The system of claim 1, wherein said profile is progressively developed and updated based upon said usage history information.

8. The system of claim 7, wherein said program displays advertising content tailored to said user's interests and behavior.

9. The system of claim 1, wherein said terminal comprises a keyboard and a touch sensitive screen.

10. The system of claim 1, wherein said terminal comprises a credit card swipe terminal for processing credit transactions.

11. The system of claim 1, wherein said terminal is publicly accessible.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    deleted
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You know it's nice to see someone starting a patent infringement action when they themselves actually have a product based on the patent. What I can't stand is people who have a patent, have done nothing with it, then sue to make money.

Why? They own it and can do with it as they wish.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How can you patent location based advertising in the first place?.

You can't. Their patent was for "Method and System for Providing Personalized Online Services and Advertisements in Public Spaces,".

Their patent was for a method and a system. It provides personalized data, unlike your examples. It provides the data online, unlike your examples. Some of the data is advertising, which is where your examples are tangent to the real situation.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Geez, what's next? Maybe the map makers will sue all the GPS device makers for "providing maps based on the user's location".

That seems pretty unlikely.

What is more likely is that the Patent system will get increasing press, and the public will learn about it, and demand that reforms be implemented which better tailor the system to the new technologies.

That is the general history of intellectual property law in the US.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Anyone else notice the DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL notation? Isn't that done all the time by patent trolls to get a gullible jury that doesn't know anything about technical issues to vote their way?

It is their right under the Constitution. Some people think it is a good thing.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Appearances can be deceiving. I am fully aware that HTC produces handsets that run WinMo and the like. If you search for Apple sues HTC, several of the "headlines" read Apple sues Google phone maker...

Apple sues Google apparently gets more clicks than Apple sues HTC.

Apple sues Google is #4

http://twitpic.com/2jse36/full

• Reply 29 of 37
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Apple sues Google is #4

[/IMG]

Apple Sues HTC, the Maker of Google's Nexus One Phone - WSJ.com

Apple Sues Google Phone Maker HTC Over Patents Again

Apple Sues HTC, the Maker of Google's Nexus One Phone - NYTimes.com

Apple Sues Google Nexus One Maker HTC for iPhone Patent ...

Ghana News :: Apple Sues Nexus One maker HTC over iPhone patents ...

Apple sues Google phone manufacturer – SciTechBlog - CNN.com Blogs
  • Reply 30 of 37
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    I don't think of my iPhone as a terminal. It is a mobile computer.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Also it seems the device in question is stationary and has multiple profiles which identify individuals in a public place. Cell phones have the profile of one individual, are mobile and are used by the owner.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Wow you really are condescending. Yeah, some people abuse the hell out of it too. The point was that demanding a jury trial for lawsuits regarding complex technological issues is often done when they know they don't have a case. Their only chance is a tired and confused jury.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

...seem <almost> magically trollishious. Dial back the snark just a tad junior.

• Reply 34 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Uh, perhaps you need to study a little bit more.

The Constitution does not mention anything about civil lawsuits. You get a jury in a criminal trial (which this is not).

The Constitution is all about limiting the power of the federal government in relation to the states and citizens.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Why? They own it and can do with it as they wish.

They can, but I think it stifles innovation and stops some interesting products coming to market.

I had an idea for a product a few months back, researched it, got as far as having a PCB layout done then thought I'd better do a patent check and, sure enough, the idea is patented. It has been for years. The patent owner has done nothing with it in terms of creating something people can actually buy and use, but it's stopped me in my tracks.

Just because the patent owner can do with it as they wish doesn't make it right.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Can you say static vs. mobile?

I knew you could.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

You can't. Their patent was for "Method and System for Providing Personalized Online Services and Advertisements in Public Spaces,".

Their patent was for a method and a system. It provides personalized data, unlike your examples. It provides the data online, unlike your examples. Some of the data is advertising, which is where your examples are tangent to the real situation.

Apparently I need to edit my first post, since I've been told this three times already and we are only on the first page. If you would have scrolled down the page a little, you would have seen that I responded to the first poster that pointed this out and discussed how I didn't feel the method that they patented didn't have any relevance to the companies they are suing.

I can understand that it becomes difficult to read several pages of posts to see if the point you want to bring up has been discussed, but come on, we are on page one.