Rupert Murdoch may be swing vote in Apple's 99 cent TV rental pitch

12346»

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 106
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    The same can be said for playback devices. I'm under the impression that people watch movies on their iPad using the built-in mono speaker. I'm also under the impression that Apple is selling bazillions of iPads.



    Have you tried plugging a decent set of highend canalphones into an iPhone 4?



    I think you'll be surprised at the quality.



    Veteran of the "CD's are no match for vinyl" wars of the eighties.
  • Reply 102 of 106
    OK, I guess I'll further derail this discussion from Rupert Murdoch into the current sorry state of the music industry.



    I can fully appreciate the convenience and benefits of the Apple/iTunes ecosystem for enjoying and managing one's music library for in-home or mobile listening. As a matter of fact, I've spent more hours than I care to remember ripping and organizing CD's into iTunes at either lossless or full bitrate wav files for this very purpose, and now have a library of about 20,000 songs taking up nearly 500 GB that I can enjoy in multiple locations and stream wireless through my Apple TV into a high quality DAC.



    But other than an impulse purchase, or in a pinch - I've never understood why people would continually pay good money to download an inferior, compressed, lossy track at 99 cents a pop. That is not the most cost effective and practical way to build a good music library for a lifetime. It is much cheaper in the long run to just buy the CD new or used, rip it, and trade it back in or sell it. Plus you get much better sound quality this way, and hard disk space is so cheap as to not even register as a concern anymore - so no file compression beyond lossless needed.



    Believe me, I can be as cheap as anyone. Until hi-res downloads come along, I have found this to be the best way (and I usually keep the CD at least half the time).



    However, I do admit the music industry has been incredibly greedy about CD pricing, and that was what probably drove a lot of people to illegal downloading to begin with back in the Napster era.



    But it is not iTunes or single track downloads that have hurt the music industry. I believe it is more of a generational thing based on: 1) short attention spans, 2) impulsive behavior, 3) immediate convenience, and most importantly 4) the increasingly disposable nature of music in our culture.



    A lot of people forget that music absolutely DOMINATED pop culture from the late 50s through the early 80s (maybe mid-90s). Me and my friends used to spend many countless hours after school just sitting or lying down while intently LISTENING to music, or playing a guitar or some other instrument.



    Those days are clearly over. Kids today generally have too many distractions and don't seem to put much value regarding quality in music or sound reproduction. That's not to say there aren't a ton of great bands today, they just don't have the same impact or wide recognition as in the past.



    So for Hollywood to blame Apple for their woes is hopelessly misguided, IMO. And now that hogwash is being spread here.



    99 cent downloads will likely get me to check out a few TV shows I would otherwise miss. But if it is a great show of high quality, I will probably still end up getting the Blu-Ray disc. The studios have nothing to be afraid of but their own incompetence.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post


    None of that has any bearing whatsoever on whether the man believes that capitalism is the best type of economic system.



    He can be a capitalist whether or not he has owned a business. He can be a capitalist despite his career choices.



    You seem confused as to what a capitalist is, or perhaps you use some sort of limited, idiosyncratic meaning. Either way, if you believe that anybody other than a capitalist could be elected as POTUS, I think you are a bit ignorant of the existing power structures.



    However, this stuff is off-topic, so I'll bow out. Believe anything that you enjoy believing.



    Ya, you've been blowing out, blowing out nonsense. I asked what has Obama done other than write memoirs to show that he is a capitalist or supports capitalism. I can't name one program from this administration that favors business, and you apparently can't either. Every word out of his mouth demonizes "big business". Supporting your favorite pizza shop back in Chicago doesn't make you a capitalist. You are the one who started down the "political path", I responded.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Think what you will about Murdoch, but the mere invocation of his name has turned this Apple blog into a left vs. right, I'm right and you're wrong, pitched battle. I have my opinions too, but let's try to leave the "I'm the sole repository of truth and the American way and you're a terrorist lover" rhetoric to the talking heads on cable and radio. Please?



    Amen. I'm tired of hearing how evil Murdock is every time his name is mentioned. It's the "all the cool people are doing it" mentality.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post


    Why don't you see the ungodly expensive bush medical bill as precedent setting, it was socialism. Same with bush loaning bankers trillions of dollars interest free, socialism.



    Seriously? With the current takeover of the entire medical industry you want to focus on a drug plan for the elderly? I thought "republicans don't care about old dying people." So what would have been the right thing to do in this situation?



    I assume you are referring to the TARP money banks were forced to take? That was done primarily as a request from the incoming administration. I hate that he caved in to congress on that, because if he didn't do it then you bet your a** it would have happened in January. By the way how about all of the auto bailouts? You agree with them? The taking over of the school loans? Is that a good thing?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post


    (A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES- In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure.

    (B) LIMITATIONS ON LIENS AND LEVIES- The Secretary shall not?

    (i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or

    (ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.



    Heck, half of Obama's administration benefited from these laws....
  • Reply 104 of 106
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,313member
    I hope Murdoch swings Fox over to Apple's model - it will accelerate the pressure on the studios to get in line with ala carte pricing. It will also dramatically ratchet up pressure to churn out quality shows that can stand on their own.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


    So it's important to you that no Apple TV customer have the opportunity to view Fox content because you don't like Murdock? You're seriously full of yourself, huh?



    For free speech as long as it matches his ideals.



    Ironic that often the "progressives" preaching tolerance are the least tolerant of those who don't think like they do.



    If the likes of Fox News and Glenn Beck are so nutty, then what is there to worry about? The "problem" will take care of itself
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post


    I hope Murdoch swings Fox over to Apple's model - it will accelerate the pressure on the studios to get in line with ala carte pricing. It will also dramatically ratchet up pressure to churn out quality shows that can stand on their own.







    For free speech as long as it matches his ideals.



    Ironic that often the "progressives" preaching tolerance are the least tolerant of those who don't think like they do.



    If the likes of Fox News and Glenn Beck are so nutty, then what is there to worry about? The "problem" will take care of itself



    No one has advocated abridging beck or even fox news free speech. That can only be done by the legal system and hasn't been a topic here or anywhere that I've seen. The problem is that the distortions and general craziness of what they say and report on. Like curmudgeon thinking there are federal agents with guns and handcuffs coming if you don't get health insurance. Glenn Beck is a box of crazy and he spreads it well.

    In the end I think you're right the problem will take care of itself eventually but not before Beck inflicts people like curmudgeon with a whole lot more crazy.
  • Reply 106 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post


    Ya, you've been blowing out, blowing out nonsense. I asked what has Obama done other than write memoirs to show that he is a capitalist or supports capitalism. I can't name one program from this administration that favors business, and you apparently can't either. Every word out of his mouth demonizes "big business". Supporting your favorite pizza shop back in Chicago doesn't make you a capitalist. You are the one who started down the "political path", I responded.







    Amen. I'm tired of hearing how evil Murdock is every time his name is mentioned. It's the "all the cool people are doing it" mentality.







    Seriously? With the current takeover of the entire medical industry you want to focus on a drug plan for the elderly? I thought "republicans don't care about old dying people." So what would have been the right thing to do in this situation?



    I assume you are referring to the TARP money banks were forced to take? That was done primarily as a request from the incoming administration. I hate that he caved in to congress on that, because if he didn't do it then you bet your a** it would have happened in January. By the way how about all of the auto bailouts? You agree with them? The taking over of the school loans? Is that a good thing?







    Heck, half of Obama's administration benefited from these laws....



    You are of course completely wrong about tarp. Bush and his treasury secretary Hank Paulson called in congressional leaders and got them to cave on tarp. Bush and Paulson are the ones that "forced" the loans on the banks. But don't let facts get in the way of what you prefer to believe.
Sign In or Register to comment.