Patent suit challenges motion-based input with Apple's iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here's a possible interesting item of interest concerning patent laws in the US: By law, any member of the public can demand that the Patent and Trademark Office reexamine an issued patent, and the PTO is (usually) bound to do so.

If there are knowledgeable folks on technologies such as these in forums such as AI, it is time to take a stand, and confront this type of junk head-on.

Put your money where your mouth is and do it, rather than stirring up others to do it for you. And keep in mind what Abraham Lincoln said abut that sort of activity:

"Never stir up litigation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does this."
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wii has been around for a number of years now, so the question is why Triton filed nothing before this.

My guess is contained elsewhere in the thread.

What are your speculations as to the reason(s) for the timing of the suit?
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Then what would be an accurate explanation?

It is pretty clear to me that nobody knows enough facts to do anything more than guess.

But your guesses ("It took them almost 5 years to figure out that the Wii was using their patent, yet only a couple months for the iPhone 4? Or did Nintendo recently change the way the remote works, putting it in "violation" of the patent?)" all seem wrong.

It is unlikely it "took them almost 5 years to realize". It is unlikely that Nintendo did a basic change to their product without marketing the improvement or even changing the model number.

The reasons for the timing of the suit are not known to anybody on the outside.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

My guess is contained elsewhere in the thread.

That Triton tried to go to various companies to get them to pay royalties. The companies decided that Triton wasn't going to get anything from them and left them the choice of fighting it out in court. Pragmatically speaking you can't do much better, no need for righteous indignation.

Furthermore, there are so many patents that essentially cover the same space, that you've got wonder who deserves the credit. Here's one, for example : http://www.intomobile.com/2010/03/30...-nick-of-time/

There are many others. People complain about the poor and downtrodden. Since there aren't any rules made in the history of mankind that would solve that problem, the market will continue to find its own solution. The solution being: if you've got some leverage or you dare to venture out in the world and create some leverage of your own, either by convincing people to back you or by gaining power by being a player in your chosen field then you can exercise that leverage to protect your assets and hard work. If you don't, you can't. Whether that's right or wrong, I don't know, perhaps don't care.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Amusing incompetence:

"...and the filing specifically mentions a "mouse" that senses motion in six axes."

Are we talking "hyperspace"? Last time I checked our reality was in 3D (3 axes). Autor probably confuses directions or vectors with axes.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Amusing incompetence:

"...and the filing specifically mentions a "mouse" that senses motion in six axes."

Are we talking "hyperspace"? Last time I checked our reality was in 3D (3 axes). Autor probably confuses directions or vectors with axes.

Their mouse must be magic.

Oops!
  • Reply 47 of 80
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

I mean negotiations to license the IP. Do you think that they would sue without first trying to make a reasonable deal?

They may have done something like tell Apple/Nintendo they were infringing on patents but I doubt there were any actual negotiations. If they felt there were no violations, I doubt it would result in more than a form letter (if even that) telling them anything used are their own inventions or properly licensed from someone else.

Quote:

I assume that they didn't try a dangerous, expensive, speculative method (litigation) before trying a near-costless and potentially profitable method (a deal).

This in itself could open a big can of worms. If Apple and Nintendo felt they were not in violation of anything, they would even discuss a deal as this could prove they thought they needed a deal.

Quote:

I could be wrong. But the alternative makes little sense, unless there are many, many facts left out of the reporting.

The fact is a lawsuit was filed. The story didn't go into any detail about what happened before.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Amusing incompetence:

Actually translational motion along the three axes and rotational motion along the three axes is the basis for referring to it as a six axis sensor. This is common in the industry and not wrong.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:

Are the second and third factors even relevant?

Relevant to me

I'm not a lawyer of course, I just use logic and common sense. It just seems to me that the patent in question fails on obviousness and that it's pretty clearly different from what Apple is doing.

Since no one seems to have even heard of this person before, and since the patent covers devices that came out before the iPhone but apparently were not taken to court, it also makes me question the motivations of the people involved.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Actually translational motion along the three axes and rotational motion along the three axes is the basis for referring to it as a six axis sensor. This is common in the industry and not wrong.

Although I now remember that degrees of freedom is a better term (that robotics class finally surfaced from the depths of memory!). There are only three axes, as we all are content to believe
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:

Put your money where your mouth is and do it, rather than stirring up others to do it for you. And keep in mind what Abraham Lincoln said abut that sort of activity:

"Never stir up litigation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does this."

Stop being such a drama queen.

Nobody is stirring up anything, except appealing to the typical (and understandable) apathy and inertia that we in the 'lay' public tend to have in using the 'public comment' opportunity on matters such as IP battles, antitrust issues, government rules regulations, and so forth. Despite the fact that outcomes in these battles affect us as individuals.

As a result, lobbyists and lawyers (you sure sound like one) and other 'big boys' often end up hijacking these issues to the detriment of the lay public.

All government agencies allow you to comment (and if they don't, you have the right to petition them as a citizen) on matters of importance to its citizens. That's all I am talking about, and that too, as an appeal to people who might know something about this. (If I knew more about this issue, you bet I would be putting my "money where my mouth is."
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

As with many of these, my default speculation is: they are looking to get paid to get rid of the nuisance factor for large companies like Apple, for whom a couple of million dollars is a rounding error.

What's your speculation for the timing? (I missed it in your previous musings).
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

I'm filing a patent for "Thing that does stuff"

See you all in court.

No offense to iLove, but see what I mean? See last part of #21 above.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They may have done something like tell Apple/Nintendo they were infringing on patents but I doubt there were any actual negotiations.

Why? If they could have been gotten rid of without litigation? Do you assume that they have no viable claims?
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

it also makes me question the motivations of the people involved.

My guess is that they are motivated by money. Do you have anything that strikes you as more likely than that?
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

No offense to iLove, but see what I mean? See last part of #21 above.

Was that the part where you claim to tune out background noise? I'm not getting your point.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

If I understand patents correctly this is an 11th hour suit. Here is the patent info.

Patent number: 5181181

Filing date: Sep 27, 1990

Issue date: Jan 19, 1993

The patent is good for 20 years from the filing date. They are filing with less than a month left on their patent, but by the time they go to trial it will be expired. Not sure what can be done then other than back pay for that period at best.

Actually I will bet you that Apple can show prior artwork on this patent. Back in 1990 or maybe before that they demonstrated a 3 dimensional mouse where you could move in space and have it control a computer and use it a 3 dimensional input device.

Plus I believe using motion and direction in 3 dimensions is not new and has been around a long time and probably before Apple's demonstration themselves. What interesting about patents like this, there are lots of companies who demonstrated the idea but it was not patented for various reason and when these people go and sue and all the prior artwork is pulled out the case falls apart and you never hear about them again.

The problem is these idiot companies who bought these patents have not clue about the technologies, and bought it as part of a portfolio and think they can make money off them.

Here is the full patent for your reference

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36666515/C...patent-5181181
  • Reply 58 of 80
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new lawsuit takes aim at the accelerometer- and gyroscope-powered abilities of Apple's iPhone 4, alleging that the interactive, three-dimensional input methods are in violation of a U.S. patent.

The complaint was filed Monday in a U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Texas. Patent lawsuits are often filed there in hopes of a favorable outcome.

We have to stop this nonsense - given this, someone will soon have a patent on breathing and all beings who breathe will either have to pay some fat moron or die.

I say kick their ass and be done with it.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theAppleMan912 View Post

Wow. Has anyone noticed apple have layed off the suing, and are now becoming the sued???

It's how patent trolls work. They patent something obscure, then wait years for a real products company like Apple to come along and actually put said patented idea to use in service of something great. Apple takes all the risks, and if it pays off, the patent trolls spring their trap. If the resulting products fail, the patent troll waits passively, doing nothing, never taking the risks, never producing anything with their patent, never changing the world. Just sit and wait.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by main1event View Post

If you cant beat them, sue them.

Was it the same when Apple sued everyone around?