Apple's new iPod nano to maintain price points, won't push out shuffle - sources

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    I really hope the nano size capacity would increase to 32gb
  • Reply 62 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That seems awful thin to put the camera HW in and the screen, not to mention very awkward to hold since it would be so small.

Based on the components and tech I’m aware of, the only way I can see a camera in this device is if it’s on one side. For example, you would look down at the display while the camera is in front of you pointing forward.

Just shooting for the moon here, but what if Apple finally put into the nano their screen/camera combination patent? Could be a good test case for the tech. If you don't recall, they have a patent on a screen that has tiny imaging sensors between the pixels so the end effect is that the entire screen surface acts like a camera.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Why do you need the click wheel? You don't need that anymore. Does anyone miss it on the iPhone?

Let it go!

I'm not so much attached to it, but it would be the way to control the device 'blind' while driving, as it would also be a music player. And not require touch for that little screen.

SpamSandwich's idea of the patented, embedded sensor-pixels also occurred to me. It would save space on the front for the FaceTime 'face' camera, but it seems too radical at this time. But maybe not, knowing Apple's ability to surprise . . .
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

As I said earlier. I'm waiting for tomorrow to further dicuss this. I would appreciate you keeping the personal attacks to yourself though. For the record, I've never speculated how much storage the device would have and I've hardly discussed prices at all.

Edit: Thanks for the comments solipsism, nike+ should have been integrated into the nano long ago

I wonder how much space it would actually take up.

I'm the one speculating that the amount of storage cannot increase because flash memory devices in the marketplace have actually been going up in price recently.

Thus I see nothing in this theoretical new nano to make it better than the old one and thus nothing to justify your contention that Apple will be holding the line on prices.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Why do you need the click wheel? You don't need that anymore. Does anyone miss it on the iPhone?

Let it go!

Maybe I should be calling it a scroll wheel, as in the gen5 nano. Does that make more sense?
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Any chance the new Nano will have two-sided touch interface or displays? Although it appears to have a clip, it sure would raise eyebrows if Apple introduced a back touch panel on the updated Nano that could be engineered onto the Touch and iPhone too.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Let it go!

I do. I loved the tactile feel of it and the ease in which you can scroll with one hand. With the iPhone you really need two hands because you need one to hold it in most cases and flicking a page just doesn?t feel as good as that circular trackpad.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Shuffle has been about being the smallest mp3 player possible. It's been a compromise - small device with limited functionality. Nano is about being the smallest real iPod with a display. That's not going to change.