Apple posts live stream of special event keynote

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The live stream of Apple's "special event" at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco, Calif. -- where the company is expected to introduce new iPods and perhaps other products -- has gone live.

Apple's live stream event is available via apple.com. It is only viewable in the Safari browser on systems running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, or iOS devices -- including the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad -- version 3 or later.

For those who cannot watch the stream, AppleInsider is also providing live coverage of Wednesday's event.

Apple announced Tuesday that it would stream the event live over the Internet. It is the first time since 2005 that the company has done so with one of its keynotes, which are used to introduce new products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Apple's HTTP Live Stream of the event is NOT available outside United States, even on iOS devices.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

Apple's HTTP Live Stream of the event is NOT available outside United States, even on iOS devices.

I'm getting it in Malaysia

EPIC GAMES UNREAL ENGINE Wooo
  • Reply 3 of 20
    What am I watching then in London?

In really good quality I'll add.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

What am I watching then in London?

Ditto.

The quality of the stream is pretty neat given how many people must be watching too.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I'm on DiGi Telco here in Malaysia. Streaming still going well over 3G on my iPad. I must say I am impressed. Walking around the house while watching the Keynote live is pretty awesome.

Steve seems a little formal though.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    iPod shuffle 4th gen. Welcome to 2006.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPod shuffle 4th gen. Welcome to 2006.

Ahhh... techstud again!!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve_arts View Post

Ahhh... techstud again!!

Chill mate... You know me, don't take me too seriously.

What's that? Tekstud? Yes, my master...

Sorry... I meant to say.. APPLE IS TEH DOOMED!!!™™™™™™
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Boy. iTV must be big if they just slammed through iPod updates in 30 minutes!!! OMFG
  • Reply 10 of 20
    So I'm here to officially put my foot in my mouth.

I went on a couple days ago about how there was no way the stream would be successful with the amount of traffic it would get.. and that it would look super bad for Apple.

I started the stream on my iPhone 4 using 3G.. again ZERO WIFI, on 3G with only 2 bars.. The stream LITERALLY started in less then a second and continued flawlessly without a single glitch for the roughly 30 mins I watched it before I had to go back to work.

I am super impressed with it.. I didn't think it would impress but I was dead wrong.

Great job apple, this has to be an HTML5 thing.. other browsers really should take notice of this.

Also I'm in Canada, so It can't be a US only thing..
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

So I'm here to officially put my foot in my mouth.

I went on a couple days ago about how there was no way the stream would be successful with the amount of traffic it would get.. and that it would look super bad for Apple.

I started the stream on my iPhone 4 using 3G.. again ZERO WIFI, on 3G with only 2 bars.. The stream LITERALLY started in less then a second and continued flawlessly without a single glitch for the roughly 30 mins I watched it before I had to go back to work.

I am super impressed with it.. I didn't think it would impress but I was dead wrong.

Great job apple, this has to be an HTML5 thing.. other browsers really should take notice of this.

Also I'm in Canada, so It can't be a US only thing..

Here in Malaysia, on 3G of all things on my iPad. It tried to drop me to audio only a few times but I just refreshed the page and restarted the video.

ARGH iTunes 10 logo looks too simple...

Anyways, either Akamai is super beefed up for this event, or this HTTP streaming thingymajig is pretty darn good.

PING - Facebook and Twitter meet iTunes
  • Reply 12 of 20
    LOL the Coldplay guy just dropped the F-bomb... Expect it to be silenced out in the downloadable keynote. Ah, the joys of live TV.

On to his third song, after the second Steve was like, "Keep Going!"
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

Watching in Japan on a Mac, iPad and iPhone. Stereo vision is soooo 20th century.

Mostly great, occasionally a choppy bit but that's live.

Update: the choppiness is most likely the shoddy net connection in my building.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Watching in Japan on a Mac, iPad and iPhone. Stereo vision is soooo 20th century.

Mostly great, occasionally a choppy bit but that's live.

Update: the choppiness is most likely the shoddy net connection in my building.

Weird. I'm in SF and couldn't get the stream at all on my iPhone 4 - either wifi or 3G. I just got the guitar poster saying "Apple Special Event." No links, nothing streamed, just nothing at all.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Chris Martin said "f*** it" before starting one of his songs. I guess that's what happens when you do things live. He also messed up a few notes on the piano.

Nice streaming generally despite the stutters - good quality.
  • Reply 16 of 20

Imagine the reason the Live Streams stopped few years back ?

More demand than supply - tech speak, yea, but defines the concept ?

Today's Return of the Live Steve Note ?

A few glitches, but overall it worked fine

Didn't keep a log of what happened when - had a 'few' times audio drop out, then maybe video, sometimes both, and/or skip around - however, 'it' fixed itself after few seconds. And then the Show would go on, I had to do nothing.

BUT - maybe 2/3 way in, "something" happened during one "drop out" lost my "full screen" and from then on could only get it in "sandbox" in Browser Window (dig all that?) and lost ability to "re-size" to Full Screen - i.e. the controls went vanilla and audio volume was only option (still digging all that?)

Which, of the above, tells me the "demand" finally overloaded the "supply" so Apple had to cut back on the "resolution" in order to keep the Stream working at all (that sound officially techie enough to describe the concept again?)

On and on, is not so much this/that about the Total Quality - but that it even worked at all.

Bet you the Mortgage were a LOT of Folks watching

And apparently from other posts here - The Whole World was Watching - Live ...

F'king Amazing

(and don't even get me started on the reports above of iPhone reception via Cell Connection, yeow)

AND - this is a wild azz guess, but maybe a good one (?) ...

Was perhaps a "test" of the New Server Farm in Mayberry RFD ?

If going to "eventually" Serve the Planet with Movies and TV, better be able to handle a little Steve Note Stream (dig?)

• Reply 17 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Steve seemed a little distracted at points. Was Woz pulling faces or something?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

Imagine the reason the Live Streams stopped few years back ?

More demand than supply - tech speak, yea, but defines the concept ?

Today's Return of the Live Steve Note ?

A few glitches, but overall it worked fine

Didn't keep a log of what happened when - had a 'few' times audio drop out, then maybe video, sometimes both, and/or skip around - however, 'it' fixed itself after few seconds. And then the Show would go on, I had to do nothing.

BUT - maybe 2/3 way in, "something" happened during one "drop out" lost my "full screen" and from then on could only get it in "sandbox" in Browser Window (dig all that?) and lost ability to "re-size" to Full Screen - i.e. the controls went vanilla and audio volume was only option (still digging all that?)

Which, of the above, tells me the "demand" finally overloaded the "supply" so Apple had to cut back on the "resolution" in order to keep the Stream working at all (that sound officially techie enough to describe the concept again?)

On and on, is not so much this/that about the Total Quality - but that it even worked at all.

Bet you the Mortgage were a LOT of Folks watching

And apparently from other posts here - The Whole World was Watching - Live ...

F'king Amazing

(and don't even get me started on the reports above of iPhone reception via Cell Connection, yeow)

AND - this is a wild azz guess, but maybe a good one (?) ...

Was perhaps a "test" of the New Server Farm in Mayberry RFD ?

If going to "eventually" Serve the Planet with Movies and TV, better be able to handle a little Steve Note Stream (dig?)

The audio was heavily chopped up via the Gizmodo stream, yesterday. Totally mutilated. It made the keynote impossible/unbearable to watch. So I couldn't. And the recording wasn't posted on Apple.com until today, so I'm watching it as we speak.

But that recording – the image, not the sound this time – is very choppy and artifacty too! Not a pleasure to watch...

And by now that fff-ing Quicktime stream has crashed my Firefox 3 times, each time about halfway into Steve's keynote, so I got fed up and decided to not even try to watch it anymore!

(Today).

Why is there a grabbable progress bar under a Quicktime video stream if it doesn't respond to user input?

All in all a definitely lacking performance all round for this Apple experience, from where I stand as a user.

And this ought to be Apple's flagship Quicktime video stream, of course!
  • Reply 19 of 20

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

... heavily chopped up via the Gizmodo stream,

fff-ing Quicktime stream has crashed my Firefox 3 times,

Why is there a grabbable progress bar under a Quicktime video stream if it doesn't respond to user input?

Believe you might want to RTFM ?

As I remember, Apple posted - Must use OSX 10.6 and Safari

And - of course can't do anything with "progress bar" on a "live stream" - sorry

THAT you'll need to take up with Quantum Physics and Linear Time

• Reply 20 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Steve seemed a little distracted at points. Was Woz pulling faces or something?

He is showing his age more and more. He confused the iPod names a number of times, was using the iPod upside down and is too impressed with technological advances. He needs to pass the mantle onto the next generation and the Apple community needs to let him. Even if he's just in the audience or gives the intro. They just need to get someone with the same sense of humour - so long as they don't keep using the joke about the ship leaking from the top because it's not all that funny and I don't think people quite get it.

The other employees don't seem relaxed enough to be able to make jokes. Like they are afraid if they screw up they will lose their job. They also seem to have targets for superlative usage they have to meet but I don't think they want to use that many. Perhaps they need someone from the outside who isn't afraid to lose their job and can keep the company on the right path. Papermaster wasn't that person (virgin probably) and I think it's because they are looking in the wrong place. Just because someone rises to an executive level in a business doesn't mean they have proved themselves worthy of that role.

A lot of people are successful in business by being good at sales. Selling is mostly founded on telling white lies - convincing people to take one thing over another. The same is true in terms of promotion. Rather than do a good job for the sake of it, the smart thing is just to be better than the guy next to you. But revolutions don't happen by being equivalent to competition+1.