Apple adds buttons to new third-generation iPod shuffle

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    The new shuffle was the best news of the keynote. I don't understand the new nano with its smaller screen, loss of camera and loss of click-wheel. I'd expect sales to tank.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

i bought a shuffle 3g a few months ago and after getting used to the remote control, it was a very, very cool product that i liked much more than the 2nd gen ipod.

as the same earbud-remotecontrol also controls the iphone or the ipod touch, the shuffle gave you the illusion to have such a device in your pocket. you could also swap the device but the remote control stayed the same. i like this concept - it does make sense.

people said that the 3g shuffle didn't have buttons. it's simply not true. the remote control is a very clever way to operate the shuffle. it may sound difficult to only use one button, but it was very easy to get used to:

click click = next song

click click click = previous song

click hold = fast forward

click click hold = reverse play

hold = say title

hold and wait even longer: select playlist (up / down = volume up / down).

this code works with nearly every device from apple and you can operate it very easily!

the new shuffle is a step back, because you need to grab the device itself again to control it. also gone is the remote control on the earbuds, another step back.

I guess that was too complicated for most people. Personally, I liked the Shuffle 3G. People might have missed the fact, although cheaper than the 3G, it only has 2 GB not 4 GB. The battery did increase from 10 hours to 15 a plus--but 10 hours was ok for me since I usually didn't listen that long. Maybe later there will be a 4 GB model.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    This is a clear and absolute step back. Button-less design was ingenious together with remote control. They should have focused on fixing this instead of going back, which is always easier (adding a new button to the traditional set?!). My only issue with button-less shuffle is the availability of the different earphone models. There are not any sensible options for replacing the bundle.

Now, when remote control is gone, I am afraid that when my current set dies (e.g. the not-so-trusted button stops working), there won't be any replacement available.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    The controls built into the headphone was a huge loser, if you, as I, hate the stock Apple earbud style. If you like cans or in-ear buds, you're out of luck unless you spend even more money to buy a new, hard-to-find compatible pair or a rare and unattractive adapter from Belkin or Scosche. Now I can use my own headphones with the Shuffle again.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    i'm very surprised that nobody on this forum has mentioned (what many have said on past forums)...with the new Nano (including shuffle-like clip) is there a need for the shuffle anymore?

Well, one could say for working out. The physical buttons do lend themselves pretty naturally to physical button. After seeing how the new NAno works...let me be the first to say that i might have underestimated the simplicity of the Nano UI. I still think the shuffle will be ideal for fitness (simpler is better) but the Nano could give it a good run, even though it's not exactly eyes-free navigation. I guess we'll see what the holiday sales say. Second would probably be price, however, you could make a 2gb or 4 gb Nano for $99 and they would sell like freakin' crazy.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    This might be rather simple to remember, but it completely goes against SJ's ideals about the UI. You (and I'm paraphrasing here) "already know how to use it". It should be that simple.

Quote:

i bought a shuffle 3g a few months ago and after getting used to the remote control, it was a very, very cool product that i liked much more than the 2nd gen ipod.

as the same earbud-remotecontrol also controls the iphone or the ipod touch, the shuffle gave you the illusion to have such a device in your pocket. you could also swap the device but the remote control stayed the same. i like this concept - it does make sense.

people said that the 3g shuffle didn't have buttons. it's simply not true. the remote control is a very clever way to operate the shuffle. it may sound difficult to only use one button, but it was very easy to get used to:

click click = next song

hold = say title

this code works with nearly every device from apple and you can operate it very easily!

the new shuffle is a step back, because you need to grab the device itself again to control it. also gone is the remote control on the earbuds, another step back.

• Reply 27 of 31
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:

click click = next song

hold = say title

i love using morse code with my music player. so easy.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by athelas View Post

Now, when remote control is gone, I am afraid that when my current set dies (e.g. the not-so-trusted button stops working), there won't be any replacement available.

Have no fear. You can use the standard iPhone mic+remote headphones with your 3rd generation iPod Shuffle; they should work just fine, and their availability is not in danger at the moment.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

It was funny how there was a clear (though subtle) admission of failure when speaking of previous generation iPods such as the 3rd gen iPod Nano and 3rd gen iPod Shuffle.

He didn't even acknowledge the 3rd gen iPod Nano... LOL!

Now the new iPod Touch and the Death of the Click Wheel - There's Something To Talk About.

He did not acknowledge the new iPod Nano either. You can see in the presentation how it was awkward when he tried to navigate this tiny touch screen.

What the hell multi touch, when you can only place only only finger on such display.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

He did not acknowledge the new iPod Nano either. You can see in the presentation how it was awkward when he tried to navigate this tiny touch screen.

What the hell multi touch, when you can only place only only finger on such display.

Well obviously, you use multi-touch to turn the display. Not sure if there are any other uses for more than one finger.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Does anyone know when the new Shuffles will be in stock this week at their retail locations? Monday, Tuesday, etc?

I hope this new generation model works like the old 2nd gens. I run everyday. I sweat profusely. I went through 2 3rd gen Shuffles, lost a 2nd gen, and my last 2nd gen finally died on me.

I've had to use my iPhone 3G to run w/ and that thing is a PITA to control when running.