Apple announces new iPod nano with multi-touch display

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post


    It's a music player...we do not need a camera on it.



    Oh! Steve forgot that last Sept. ?
  • Reply 42 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


    16gb = $179.



    you know what you can also get for 200 bucks? an xbox 360, a wii, or 2/3rds of a ps3.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    It seems much more likely that Apple just re-skinned the old iPod software and added a few things like touch support then get iOS working on this thing. iOS is overkill anyway for a device with no need for a TCP/IP stack.



    Also the apple website makes no mention of iOS for the nano.
  • Reply 44 of 117
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aslak View Post


    It seems much more likely that Apple just re-skinned the old iPod software and added a few things like touch support then get iOS working on this thing. iOS is overkill anyway for a device with no need for a TCP/IP stack.



    Probably. It could evolve some more iOS-like features. But you've probably nailed this.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    What an absolutely class piece of design, I really like this. Well done Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post


    Apple made an interesting and odd (to me) physical design decision in making the border/edge on the top and bottom much thinner (visually) than the sides. Looking at the dimensions (1.48" x 1.61") it seems they could have made it only slightly taller (1.61") and made that border visually the same on all four sides.







    Seems like an odd detail to have overlooked (for Apple).



    that's very true.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Obviously, they want you to move up to the iPod touch, the entry level model, which I think people will do. However, I agree this would make one heck of a watch.



  • Reply 48 of 117
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parsec View Post


    What an absolutely class piece of design, I really like this. Well done Apple.



    Be gone troll
  • Reply 49 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post






    You got it, but now give me a nice, thin band so I can wear this with regular clothes, not just a Jersey Shore Adidas track suit.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post


    Apple made an interesting and odd (to me) physical design decision in making the border/edge on the top and bottom much thinner (visually) than the sides. Looking at the dimensions (1.48" x 1.61") it seems they could have made it only slightly taller (1.61") and made that border visually the same on all four sides.







    Seems like an odd detail to have overlooked (for Apple).



    My guess is that the slightly extended side areas serve the same purpose as the iPad bezel-- to make spurious touch events less likely (since you have to grasp that edge to lever the clip).



    So the wider side case area is functional and the smaller top and bottom area is because Apple makes everything as small as humanly possible, and that trumped symmetry.
  • Reply 51 of 117
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aslak View Post


    It seems much more likely that Apple just re-skinned the old iPod software and added a few things like touch support then get iOS working on this thing. iOS is overkill anyway for a device with no need for a TCP/IP stack.



    Also the apple website makes no mention of iOS for the nano.



    It all depends on what you consider iOS, however. Since it's all the OS X codebase, plus Cocoa Touch minus unneeded I/O stuff (very roughly speaking) arguably any device that sports some subset of the Cocoa Touch API on top of OS X underpinnings (however truncated) is "iOS."



    This is indeed overkill for a device like the Nano, but I could see Apple wanting to move as much stuff as possible over to that neck of the woods, even if in a highly minimized version.
  • Reply 52 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post






    Seems like an odd detail to have overlooked (for Apple).



    From the photos the left-right sides appear to be radiused, not square corners like the top and bottom. The real thing probably looks perfectly well proportioned.



    Apple's attention to detail borders on the pathologically obsessive (as I'm sure you're aware). I don't believe this is something they would have overlooked.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    Cool, maybe we should do our concept accessory then:







  • Reply 54 of 117
    Thank goodness I have a 5th Generation iPod Nano. My fingers are too big to use this thing. Just because you can make something smaller doesn't necessarily mean it will be a better device.
  • Reply 55 of 117
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    When jobs was launching this he had the pic of the Old Long nano. Then the clickwheel drove away. They should have kept it like that. No need to make it square, just keep the same sized display as the now old nano.



    I don't think we need two shuffles, which is basically what we've got now. I think the new nano will do the worst of the three updated iPods. Shuffle will probably improve the most in terms of sales.
  • Reply 56 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    No question this is more of a shuffle on steroids than a real nano replacement...

    While there is some cool factor here, the biggest thing about this is it seems like Apple tried to make it LESS appealing for most users to push them up to a touch. And in many cases it will probably work.



    I agree.

    This just seems like a Had-To-Do-Something style makeover for the Nano.

    I liked the Nano tall, and the square, and sort of like/disliked the last tall-but-curved (so that it rocked when trying to use it laying flat).



    Pulling off the control wheel/buttons and larger screen seem like intentional feature removal to steer people away from it.

    All the while with a forced smile and saying 'isn't this new one cooler and better'.



    Dumb move Apple on the Nano.

    Sad.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    I won't keep ranting on the 6th Generation Nano's features and form factor or the fact that you get less for your money than the previous generation. And I won't even rant that the new model appears to be a solution in search of a problem.



    However, I think the new Nano will be a lackluster seller, but it very well may significantally canibalize sales of the Shuffle. If I really wanted the Shuffle's size, I would go for the Nano instead.



    Finally, if you ever had a desire to own a 5th Generation Nano, especially a 16GB model, this would be the time to buy it, because I suspect there will be a run on them.
  • Reply 58 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoadWarrior56 View Post


    However, I think the new Nano will be a lackluster seller, but it very well may significantally canibalize sales of the Shuffle. If I really wanted the Shuffle's size, I would go for the Nano instead.



    This is pretty much the exact device that I wanted. I don?t care what it?s called, I wanted a clip on iPod with Nike+. I?ll be getting a blue one on day one, unless that colour is gone then I?ll get whatever colour they have available.
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Watch? Did someone say watch? Here's some quick mock ups.! Finally the Apple watch I've been waiting for all these years.







    That's me in the last photo!
  • Reply 60 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post


    I agree.

    This just seems like a Had-To-Do-Something style makeover for the Nano.

    I liked the Nano tall, and the square, and sort of like/disliked the last tall-but-curved (so that it rocked when trying to use it laying flat).



    Pulling off the control wheel/buttons and larger screen seem like intentional feature removal to steer people away from it.

    All the while with a forced smile and saying 'isn't this new one cooler and better'.



    Dumb move Apple on the Nano.

    Sad.



    By giving consumers a taste of multi-touch with the nano, they may spend the extra few bucks to get the iPod touch entry model instead. The lack of FM radio on the touch is a downer, but access to apps and the iTunes store is a major plus.
Sign In or Register to comment.