Apple's iPod classic survives another year, but sees no changes

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

just because the thing is still advertised and is being sold doesn't mean it survived another year. It could be just as likely that apple is trying to sell their remaining stock

THE CLASSIC is just that !!

a classic device hat sells and sells and sells .

and some people don't need all the other stuff .

you can take the classic n a week long trip and have a ton of movie's pod casts music tv shows etc etc to play .

i hope they never stop selling it .

• Reply 42 of 46
    Steve said every iPod in the lineup got an update, so I think the Classic is dead to him. Either they have a TON of inventory to clear or the profit margin on the Classic is so high that it's worth "tarnishing" the other family members. It will fade away, especially as Apps and tools come out that allow a perpetual connection to a larger library. "Simplify" makes a jumbo iPod practically unnecessary.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    solipsism is right - Toshiba didn't introduce a new 1.8" HDD this year, so 160GB on a single platter remains the max. Toshiba is likely giving up on investing more in the technology as everything moves to solid-state memory.

So Apple *couldn't* improve the Classic, other than returning to the thicker double-platter format they gave up on a couple years ago. My guess is that if Toshiba *had* introduced a new higher-capacity drive, Apple would have put it in the Classic.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eagle14 View Post

solipsism is right - Toshiba didn't introduce a new 1.8" HDD this year, so 160GB on a single platter remains the max. Toshiba is likely giving up on investing more in the technology as everything moves to solid-state memory.

So Apple *couldn't* improve the Classic, other than returning to the thicker double-platter format they gave up on a couple years ago. My guess is that if Toshiba *had* introduced a new higher-capacity drive, Apple would have put it in the Classic.

Considering there wasn?t even a price drop, something we see on last year?s models in Apple?s refurbished section, I have to assume that the Classic sales are doing well enough to not warrant the price reduction at this time. I would bet that next year we?ll see the Classic drop in price.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All good points. I really like the suggestion of 'iPod Pro.'

I hope enough iPod Pro aficionados email Apple on this.

WHAT THE WHJOLE BOARD seems to ignore is the ipod classic is an all in one media monster machine that is cheap .

the ipod classic sell's very very well /

and now the crippled nano leaves the classic as the only video plain pod left besides the touch....

and the biggest selling point is there are millions upon millions of school kids turning 18 yrs old every day

many of those klids wou;d love a classic pod and may not need all the other stuff

i mean the sub sahara never even heard of 3g before

right !!

what APPLE WILL do is prtiallt cripple the ipod touch and merge the 2 into a super pro classic touch at 175 g or 225 g size wise .

rant is over

apple rocks

• Reply 46 of 46
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    "Classic is dead... classic no improvey... steve thy will be done... yadda yadda..."

Bullshit.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

The iPod Classic deserves to still be here. It is the only iPod that gives over the majority of its functionality to music.

"M U S I C" ... remember that? That is the iPod's fundamental role, playing music.

Personally I don't want any more functionality out of the Classic. I want all my music on one device that plays it well. Quality Lossless sound. No bullshit gimmicks. If I wanted gimmicks then I'd buy one of the other all singing, all dancing iPods. I (and many others) do not want these expensive, cluttered and limited capacity devices. It gets very tiring when fanbois bang on about a flash based 'Classic' being 'what we want now' when it's bloody obvious that at current market prices flash memory is hugely expensive at large capacities and not an affordable alternative to harddisk. Maybe someday but not now or even next year. Classic is still selling well and will continue to do so regardless of what happens to the rest of the range.

Simplicity reigns supreme. Long live the clickwheel!