AirPlay allows wireless streaming to Apple, third-party devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by All Day Breakfast View Post

As I read it, you can't do anything but stream out of iTunes, no 3rd party apps. The website is a bit misleading the way it says, if its on your iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch you can stream it to your AppleTV. But the fine print implies nothing about 3rd party apps and seems to imply "if its in iTunes".

Yea but that's not to say 3rd party apps can not take advantage of this AirPlay. Currently I have Airfoil on my iMac and with the current AirTunes I can stream "any" audio from my iMac to my Apple TV. So I am hoping that Airfoil is updated to use the AirPlay API and allow me to stream practically anything to my new Apple TV!! This can be great news. Remember if Rouge ameba's AirFoil can use Apple's AirTunes than I doubt Apple is chaining this technology down!!
  • Reply 22 of 49
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I can't believe more people aren't curious about this, given how many people wanted iOS and apps on Apple TV.

If AirPlay can stream video from third party apps on iOS devices, you don't really need apps on Apple TV because any app could transmit the video to Apple TV and you would have all the controls on your multitouch iOS device...

Technically speaking, the video on the display isn't being transmitted, the video file (movie, tv show, etc) is being streamed to the AppleTV.

So what you mentioned isn't possible.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Technically speaking, the video on the display isn't being transmitted, the video file (movie, tv show, etc) is being streamed to the AppleTV.

So what you mentioned isn't possible.

So the app has to stream a video file that Apple TV can read, I don't see how that makes it impossible. Any app that opens up the video player on an iOS device is reading a compatible video file isn't it? Why couldn't it stream that video to Apple TV?
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Something just came to me... What if Apple were to rerelease an Airport Express that did HDMI out and then they released this new iOS based ATV front end to iPad devices...

On that note, the Airport Express is $99, same as the AppleTV.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    Quote:

So the app has to stream a video file that Apple TV can read, I don't see how that makes it impossible. Any app that opens up the video player on an iOS device is reading a compatible video file isn't it? Why couldn't it stream that video to Apple TV?

The original question was about streaming games and apps anything else that's being displayed on the iPad's screen to the AppleTV. I assumed what was being asked is something similar to "Remote Desktop" on OS X. So, whatever is being displayed on the iPad screen would then appear on a TV through the AppleTV.

While it is possible to do, it takes a lot of horse power to encode the image and transmit it "on-the-fly". I don't see how the CPU in the iPad could do that and still have enough power left to do process whatever the current app is doing?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Nope. It'll be here when 160 million iTunes users stop trying to download it all at the same time.

They must be rolling it out in zones to avoid crushing their bandwidth.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I haven't seen any evidence that you can send video from itunes on your computer to your iOS device. It seems like an obvious function, but unless I missed something, they didn't mention it.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    How is the B&W Zeppelin going to take advantage of this? You think they're going to come out with new hardware? I can hardly believe this as it's a big expense for them to do so. My thought is that they are going to sell a USB powered wireless that you can just stick in the back to allow wireless playing of music from your devices? Anyone have any thoughts or additional information?
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

And put lots of super expensive whole house audio systems right out of business...

Funny you should mention this, I just last week spent 700$ on a Sonos system, I used AirTunes before but was looking to upgrade to something better... Was actually on the fence before the keynote today, don't get me wrong, Sonos is great, in a lot of ways it out performs AirTunes but for the price of one S5 (speakers sonos uses) and one zone bride that allows me to listen to music in one room I can hook up my entire apartment with airplay.

At this point I am pretty sure I am taking it back to the store, at least until I can see what speakers come out with airplay and to see if apple upgraded the technology.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Wish Apple would open up Airplay so it can work on computers and other devices. That would make Apple TV really the hot item.

Why wish? Re-read the article and be happy!
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

I can't believe more people aren't curious about this, given how many people wanted iOS and apps on Apple TV.

If AirPlay can stream video from third party apps on iOS devices, you don't really need apps on Apple TV because any app could transmit the video to Apple TV and you would have all the controls on your multitouch iOS device...

Yes! This is the Trojan Horse! Apple doesn't need to negotiate content deals for ATV anymore. Once they get it for iPhone, it's on TV. iOS will be amped up to include airplay gaming. The secret of ATV is that it's no longer a pc peripheral, but an iPhone peripheral!
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

Anyone know if this will allow streaming from an iDevice to a Mac?

This would work great for me, as I have a Mac mini as a media center - that way, if a friend comes over and says "hey, check out this cool movie!" we could watch it on the big screen.

This, mostly. I recently replaced the AirPort Express in my living room with a Mac mini; fantastic upgrade, but does mean that I've lost the ability to stream from my main computer (a MacBook Pro) to my sound system. Similarly, since I almost exclusively use the Remote App to control playback from the mini, it would be good to cut out the middle man and stream straight from the iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    i think this is the first step (well second... cos first was AirTunes :P )... towards the idea that iPhone/iPodTouch/iPad can be stream everything onto Apple TV.

Imagine being able to actually view ur stuff on the tv!? playing games, using ur applications! etc etc ...

WHOA that would be humongous! NICE... i would LOVE to see this happen!!

What say guys!?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    I guess the BIG question is "How much have Apple licensed AirPlay"?

For example have they also licensed the ability to play DRM protected tracks (i.e. those that still have Apple FairPlay DRM attached).

I still have many thousands of tracks in my iTunes library that have FairPlay DRM on them.

Will they stream to 3rd party devices, or will we be limited to DRM free tracks only?

I'm not buying a 3rd party device until this is 100% clear!
  • Reply 35 of 49
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    To me, airplay seems like the biggest thing that was announced. I don't think that the masses have quite grasped the significance yet.

iApps aren't needed on the appleTV if an iPad/iPhone/iPod is used as a touch based remote. With that in mind, the appleTV merely needs to play video streams.

I can only hope that this is the paradigm that apple will be pushing...

[edit]

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that nobody gets the significance. Clearly many people are already dreaming about what this could become. The masses, they'll catch on soon too.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Yea but that's not to say 3rd party apps can not take advantage of this AirPlay. Currently I have Airfoil on my iMac and with the current AirTunes I can stream "any" audio from my iMac to my Apple TV. So I am hoping that Airfoil is updated to use the AirPlay API and allow me to stream practically anything to my new Apple TV!! This can be great news. Remember if Rouge ameba's AirFoil can use Apple's AirTunes than I doubt Apple is chaining this technology down!!

The problem is that encoding an audio stream into Apple Lossless (the format AirTunes uses) is relatively trivial and can be done in realtime by your computer. Encoding a video, especially with a processor limited device like an iPhone or iPad is a bit more challenging. It can be done (after all, these devices can record 720p video from their cameras), but then the video needs to be retransmitted to the playing device. All that would leave little if any CPU bandwidth to actually run any application.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

I guess the BIG question is "How much have Apple licensed AirPlay"?

For example have they also licensed the ability to play DRM protected tracks (i.e. those that still have Apple FairPlay DRM attached).

I still have many thousands of tracks in my iTunes library that have FairPlay DRM on them.

Will they stream to 3rd party devices, or will we be limited to DRM free tracks only?

I'm not buying a 3rd party device until this is 100% clear!

I'm wondering the same thing. Apple must have licensed FairPlay. Even if you had all DRM-free music, all the video from the iTunes store is still FairPlay encoded.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    HD is 1080p. 720p is the cheap knockoff from the HD transitional period and is a dinosaur.

I can see the difference on my Mac.

I can see the difference on my TV.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Come on apple why would you need a damn computer to stream?

Why not streaming from a nas with an itunes library....??????
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

To me, airplay seems like the biggest thing that was announced. I don't think that the masses have quite grasped the significance yet.

iApps aren't needed on the appleTV if an iPad/iPhone/iPod is used as a touch based remote. With that in mind, the appleTV merely needs to play video streams.

I can only hope that this is the paradigm that apple will be pushing...

[edit]

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that nobody gets the significance. Clearly many people are already dreaming about what this could become. The masses, they'll catch on soon too.

yes this is indeed the biggest thing announced, but it needs more options.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

HD is 1080p. 720p is the cheap knockoff from the HD transitional period and is a dinosaur.

I can see the difference on my Mac.

I can see the difference on my TV.

Of course you can see the difference on your Mac, you sit 2 feet away. Do you have a TV that is 55" or greater at a distance of 10'? Then you will see the difference between 720 and 1080. Below that, no not really. 720p is HD, 1080p is more HD. Just b/c you disagree with a label does not make it so