Amazon offers purchases of Fox and ABC shows for 99 cents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercivic View Post

*Use iTunes, if you want on iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV BUT do not care about watching more than once

*Use Amazon on Demand if you want to watch more than once BUT do not care about having it on iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

with amazon you still need some kind of hardware to deliver the shows to the TV.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Presumably at some point Amazon will release a iPhone/iPad app so you can use their Video on Demand service on iOS devices. And if AppleTV gets App support I suspect Amazon will create an Video on Demand AppleTV app as well.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

with amazon you still need some kind of hardware to deliver the shows to the TV.

I just hook my MacBook up to my TV. It's a piece of cake. I just have the $29 video adaptor from Apple. It is ridiculously easy to do. The only reason that I can come up with for people not using this is it is an underadvertised feature.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't understand how it's legal for the networks to do this. By deciding they are going to give Amazon this or Apple that, they are deciding the fate of those companies to a large extent (or trying to). This is like selling cars but charging fat people more than thin ones or giving a better deal to a certain race or ethnic group.

Basic fairness says that if they offer a product at a certain price to one company that all other things being equal, they should offer the same deal to another.

You have no idea how capitalism works, do you?

Did you happen to vote for the current president?
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Good for Amazon. And good for me... I love it.

Your turn, Apple.

The one thing that's not clear is whether Apple's rental is HD, while Amazon's ownership option is SD. Anybody know?
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dan.blanchard View Post

Dammit, you guys got my hopes up! It's not all Fox shows, just some select shows. For some damn reason Fringe is still $3 per episode. Does anybody know if the TV episode rental is only going to be for AppleTV or if we'll be able to rent on our Macs or iPads? I would love to be able to get Fringe for $1 per episode since season two isn't going to be out on Blu-ray until the 14th (when I will rent it from Netflix).

I think that I read somewhere that it's only shows produced AND broadcasted by Fox or Disney/ABC that is gonna be available at this price...

Fringe may be broadcasted on Fox but it's produced by Warner... No luck...
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Are you in the right place, or did you just wander in by accident?
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The one thing that's not clear is whether Apple's rental is HD, while Amazon's ownership option is SD. Anybody know?

With Amazon you can choose: SD or HD.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:

With Amazon you can choose: SD or HD.

For the same price?
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

For the same price?

yep. for the shows that i looked at they are the same price. pure speculation: they are not allowed to price the shows under 99 cents.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Really? I can own an SD or HD H.264/MP3 encoded TV show for 99¢ the day after it airs? That looks like it would severely hinder the DVD and Blu-ray sales which I think are higher for a complete season and you can own it long before the season ends. Interesting.

Quote:

Big deal. If Amazon got that option, so would iTunes. That makes the @TV even more attractive (you would simply download it on your computer - which us what you would do with Amazon - and use AirPlay). We'll find out soon enough.

Just makes us all better off.

The larger point here is the complete lack of creativity and innovation by competitors: Why can't/don't a single one create a box, an interface and software - i.e., the whole package - that does it better than Apple? Hello!? It's pretty sad, really.......

Remember how long it took with higher bit rate DRM-free music? It was jobs that wrote the letter to end the failed DRM model for music, which was quickly scoffed at, even by CEOs who went to offer that very deal to Amazon.

LOL I remarked on Amazon having this potential with the content owners just yesterday.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

You had me then you lost me.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:

Should I use iTunes or Amazon on Demand? It all boils down to this:

*Use iTunes, if you want on iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV BUT do not care about watching more than once

*Use Amazon on Demand if you want to watch more than once BUT do not care about having it on iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.

How do you get the Amazon on Demand video to your HDTV? Or are you watching on your computer?
  • Reply 34 of 84
    [QUOTE=mercivic;1706247]

Quote:

I just hook my MacBook up to my TV. It's a piece of cake. I just have the $29 video adaptor from Apple. It is ridiculously easy to do. The only reason that I can come up with for people not using this is it is an underadvertised feature.

Oh, I see. One reason more people don't do it your way is they don't have this years MacBook Pro, which sens video and audio to HDMI. I use my MacBook (last years model) to do that, but need two cables.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Big deal. If Amazon got that option, so would iTunes. That makes the @TV even more attractive (you would simply download it on your computer - which us what you would do with Amazon - and use AirPlay). We'll find out soon enough.

Just makes us all better off.

The larger point here is the complete lack of creativity and innovation by competitors: Why can't/don't a single one create a box, an interface and software - i.e., the whole package - that does it better than Apple? Hello!? It's pretty sad, really.......

It seems to me that Amazon is playing the same game here that they play with books and mp3s.

They're willing to lose money on every sale to get marketshare. I don't see how the networks would give Amazon a better deal than they give Apple, esp. ABC.

Amazon wants to be a power in the download anything market, and now they're big enough to throw away a lot of money to do so.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't understand how it's legal for the networks to do this. By deciding they are going to give Amazon this or Apple that, they are deciding the fate of those companies to a large extent (or trying to). This is like selling cars but charging fat people more than thin ones or giving a better deal to a certain race or ethnic group.

Basic fairness says that if they offer a product at a certain price to one company that all other things being equal, they should offer the same deal to another.

Like I said, Amazon is likely losing money on every sale, just as they did with books and mp3s.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I'm still waiting for the "all you can eat" subscription model. Any song, movie, or TV show, on-demand - all the time.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:

This is very much a conservative thing. Lose money on every sale, and make it up on volume. That's why the country is in such a mess right now.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Really? I can own an SD or HD H.264/MP3 encoded TV show for 99¢ the day after it airs? That looks like it would severely hinder the DVD and Blu-ray sales which I think are higher for a complete season and you can own it long before the season ends. Interesting.

It's even better than that: your shows are stored in the cloud!
  • Reply 40 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It's even better than that: your shows are stored in the cloud!

So can you own them locally so you can watch them offline, or is it that you pay once for streaming but always get access to stream them again?