First look: Taking HDR photos with Apple's iOS 4.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    The iphone 4's camera is superb!!!!

I took a picture of an orange beach cruiser(bike, old school) and them I emailed it to myself. Then I opened it on ipad. DAM*!!!

I made it my background and the quality is breathtaking. Now with ISO 4.1 for ipad coming out I will be able to send photos to my ipad thru wifi. Love it!!!!

And has anyone used Pages and Numbers for the ipad? Jesus they are awesome!
  • Reply 22 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I've been reading up on this for the last few days in anticipation. I have yet to find a straight-forward explanation of the differences between HDR, exposure blending and tone mapping. It sounds like the latter two are essentially methods within the HDR process, but that might not be entirely accurate. From what I'm hearing, the iPhone version of HDR is essentially exposure blending. I wonder how much these distinctions will matter to the audience Apple is targeting for iPhone HDR.

You are correct. It has been dressed up to sound complicated for the justification of the pro apps I suspect. Several images of varying exposures are merged. Tone mapping allows a level of control over the various elements such as contrast curves and in pro apps you can save and apply pre sets that are useful in different types of images. These are applied in RAM before the final merged image is written to disk. The software I use only works on RAW images.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwatson View Post

Not at all. An HDR image is 'higher dynamic range', really, than the commonly accepted 8-bits (256 steps) of current image technology. You need an image of 9 bits or more to be an HDR image as the term is currently accepted.

Apple _is_ exposure blending, and it's a great effect, but it's not HDR.

Hence it is always done in RAW on pro apps and Apple have some simplified system here. You have to tone map and save as an image for distribution in LDR at the end of the process, I wonder if Apple is working in HDR in RAM but saving to disk as LDR?
  • Reply 24 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

No need to be a proactive dick.

What kind of ass assumes all jailbroken device users pirate apps?

I've spent over $400 on the App Store and have zero pirated apps on my phone. I haven't even installed the hack that would enable me to download them in the first place. I jailbreak because I don't love any games quite like I love some of those old Super Nintendo/NES/GBA games I used to play. Jailbreaking gives me access to nearly all of them and much more enjoyment out of my device. And before you decide to be a dick about that, too, I actually own physical copies of the games I play. I probably should have sold them.

Ironically, all of those SNES and NES ROMs you have on your phone are technically illegal.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Not at all. An HDR image is 'higher dynamic range', really, than the commonly accepted 8-bits (256 steps) of current image technology. You need an image of 9 bits or more to be an HDR image as the term is currently accepted.

You are incorrect. what you are describing is a high bit depth image which increases the number of samples from 0 to 1 per pixel per channel. the actual lightness & darkness range between 0 and 1 can range from 6 stops to 10 or more depending on how well you've done HDR. My point is, after processing an HDR you can certainly fit the resulting image into an 8bit per channel HDR image made from 8 bit per channel bracketed source images that shows 10 stops of dynamic range from the real world. One can take a single expose with a 14bit sensor, run it through RAW processing and it will be clipped off at 7 (for example) stops of dynamic range from the real world.

If you don't believe be, go check out Photoshop. Take an 8 bit per channel image and set it to 16bit per channel mode. You can't make the blacks any darker or the whites any whiter if they were properly set in the 8bit file. Likewise, if you take 3 bracketed images and create an HDR image as both 8 & 16 bit per channel files, they will look the same to you.

High bit depth images are really only useful for heavy tonal remapping so as to not introduce banding artifacts into the image.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

This is a pretty cool feature. I've done HDR by hand, and it can be a tedious process. Too bad it doesn't work with the flash, because sometimes those are the photos that need it the most.

For instance, I've taken photos of people at night on the beach with flash, and the background details are lost in the darkness. That's when HDR would come in handy, blending a non-flashed background with a flashed-subject.

It's NOT HDR, it's tone mapping. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Did they increase the dynamic range of the image sensor?

Do you have a monitor that can view that new dynamic range?

I'm guessing that most consumers and even pro-sumers, the answer is a definitive NO. Apple is simply doing in-software-TONE-MAPPING.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

You are incorrect. what you are describing is a high bit depth image which increases the number of samples from 0 to 1 per pixel per channel. the actual lightness & darkness range between 0 and 1 can range from 6 stops to 10 or more depending on how well you've done HDR. My point is, after processing an HDR you can certainly fit the resulting image into an 8bit per channel HDR image made from 8 bit per channel bracketed source images that shows 10 stops of dynamic range from the real world. One can take a single expose with a 14bit sensor, run it through RAW processing and it will be clipped off at 7 (for example) stops of dynamic range from the real world.

If you don't believe be, go check out Photoshop. Take an 8 bit per channel image and set it to 16bit per channel mode. You can't make the blacks any darker or the whites any whiter if they were properly set in the 8bit file. Likewise, if you take 3 bracketed images and create an HDR image as both 8 & 16 bit per channel files, they will look the same to you.

High bit depth images are really only useful for heavy tonal remapping so as to not introduce banding artifacts into the image.

Perfect example of TONE MAPPING, not HDR.
  • Reply 28 of 98
    I heard they were present in the beta of IOS 4.0 but pulled out at the last moment.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You don't have to you can steal the proHDR App from the pirate repositories that jailbreaking enables.

You can even use the lame old excuse of "I'm only testing it before I buy it".

↑↑↑↑↑ *grade A fanboi post*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

No need to be a proactive dick.

What kind of ass assumes all jailbroken device users pirate apps?

I've spent over $400 on the App Store and have zero pirated apps on my phone. I haven't even installed the hack that would enable me to download them in the first place. I jailbreak because I don't love any games quite like I love some of those old Super Nintendo/NES/GBA games I used to play. Jailbreaking gives me access to nearly all of them and much more enjoyment out of my device. And before you decide to be a dick about that, too, I actually own physical copies of the games I play. I probably should have sold them.

You're wasting your time rationalizing with hill60 and the like about the merits and justifications of jailbreaking. They don't get it. They don't know how to do it. They're intimidated by what they can not comprehend.
  • Reply 30 of 98
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I am not very skilled in photography so can some one answer me this: The article said that HDR is good for bright days to put more detail into washed out pictures. Does that mean I don't want to use HDR in darker settings or when it's cloudy? Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 31 of 98
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I am not very skilled in photography so can some one answer me this: The article said that HDR is good for bright days to put more detail into washed out pictures. Does that mean I don't want to use HDR in darker settings or when it's cloudy? Thanks in advance.

Based on my understanding of HDR images in the new iPod Touch and iPhone update, using HDR will give you one image as if HDR was not used and a second image with HDR. You'll have the opportunity to save the better image.

In my opinion, HDR can only help an image, especially in high contrast settings. In low contrast settings, there may be little to no difference between the normal image and the HDR image.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    I did a write up some time ago about how to do HDR photography with a simply point-and-shoot digital camera. Though the camera on the iPhone 4 is pretty good, the colors and exposure control leave a lot to be desired.

You can read more here:

http://www.kimballlarsen.com/2008/09...e-photography/

and

http://www.kimballlarsen.com/2010/01...e-photography/

I'd be interested in any feedback on my HDR technique....

Thanks!
  • Reply 33 of 98
    Typically, with a DSLR, it is better to do HDR by taking multiple exposurers with a range of shutter speeds while keeping the f-stop (aperature) the same. This eliminates depth of focus anomilies that will otherwise occur. In other words, stopping the lens down will increase the depth of focus, making part of the image in focus; the other range of exposures, with the lens aperature open wider, will result in the smae object possibly being out of focus. It's harder to combine such images.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You are correct. It has been dressed up to sound complicated for the justification of the pro apps I suspect. Several images of varying exposures are merged. Tone mapping allows a level of control over the various elements such as contrast curves and in pro apps you can save and apply pre sets that are useful in different types of images. These are applied in RAM before the final merged image is written to disk. The software I use only works on RAW images.

When this hits the streets, we can anticipate a lot of sniffing and looking down of noses by the pros who will tell us that what Apple is offering isn't "real" HDR and how anyone who thinks otherwise is very much deluded, a fanboy, or blinded by Apple's marketing, or all three. The fact that it helps people take better photographs (with their phone, no less), no matter what you call it, won't figure into this criticism. Place your wagers now...
  • Reply 35 of 98
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

For instance, I've taken photos of people at night on the beach with flash, and the background details are lost in the darkness. That's when HDR would come in handy, blending a non-flashed background with a flashed-subject.

The HDR won't work in this case. Too much exposure difference. The area with flash (normal exposure) and the background that flash couldn't cover could easily be more than 5 stops difference. In short, it's impossible in this case. That's why it's not enabled with flash.

And that's why pro photographer must knows "when", "where" and "how" to take photograph.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Not necessarily true. Dynamic range in photography is the digital term for the difference in exposure. Since early digital photography has less dynamic range than film, especially black & white film, HDR was invented. The process is just to combine the best part of different exposures. No need for difference of "color bits" since film never has color bits information.

The process you explained should be called "High Color Dynamic Range".
  • Reply 37 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

It will be interesting to see how Apple's HDR implementation stacks up to some of the 3rd party apps. I have been using ProHDR and have been very happy with it.

-kpluck

I have been using TrueHDR, the image matching is hit and miss. Sometimes nice, sometimes colours and resolution is poor. This Apple HDR, assuming it is available on the 3GS, will be awesome. F the jailbreak...
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Quote:

When this hits the streets, we can anticipate a lot of sniffing and looking down of noses by the pros who will tell us that what Apple is offering isn't "real" HDR and how anyone who thinks otherwise is very much deluded, a fanboy, or blinded by Apple's marketing, or all three. The fact that it helps people take better photographs (with their phone, no less), no matter what you call it, won't figure into this criticism. Place your wagers now...

And in 3... 2... 1....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

It's NOT HDR, it's tone mapping. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Did they increase the dynamic range of the image sensor?

Do you have a monitor that can view that new dynamic range?

I'm guessing that most consumers and even pro-sumers, the answer is a definitive NO. Apple is simply doing in-software-TONE-MAPPING.

There ya go.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    Quote:

I've been reading up on this for the last few days in anticipation. I have yet to find a straight-forward explanation of the differences between HDR, exposure blending and tone mapping. It sounds like the latter two are essentially methods within the HDR process, but that might not be entirely accurate. From what I'm hearing, the iPhone version of HDR is essentially exposure blending. I wonder how much these distinctions will matter to the audience Apple is targeting for iPhone HDR.

It's a cell phone camera. It's mostly just exposure blending, I assume. The audience won't care, they'll just think, cool, better looking pictures*. Anyone else that cares should be using a DSLR anyways.

*Of course, this is as debatable as "real" HDR photography itself. You lose the stronger contrast sometimes. In the pro photo world HDR is still quite controversial.

Until there comes a time when I can get a Canon 5D mark II with those red stripe lenses (yes, doesn't automatically mean those are the best lenses) without having to live on the streets.... iPhone 3GS snaps is enough for me. I only keep some nature and music event photos now for simple memory keepsakes.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Based on my understanding of HDR images in the new iPod Touch and iPhone update, using HDR will give you one image as if HDR was not used and a second image with HDR. You'll have the opportunity to save the better image.

I have not seen this functionality in 4.1. It seems to always save HDR.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

In my opinion, HDR can only help an image, especially in high contrast settings. In low contrast settings, there may be little to no difference between the normal image and the HDR image.

I have found HDR flattens out a lot of the "interesting" parts of an image and makes the scene feel kind of eerie and, ironically, less dynamic. This seems especially true around clouds in medium brightness and interior shots.

It's probably true that HDR will bring back some overexposure in some shots, which people will like. But bracketing would have done the same thing in that situation, and just get the exposure right in the first place.