Ping, Apple's music social network, already plagued with spammers

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yup, cause it's day two and nothing is 'drowning'. Everyone seems to think systems are born fully populated, with large user bases and drowning in relevant content.

Odd, impatient attitude.

I don't think it's odd to expect that Apple couldn't have had more than 10 musicians on board to start things off. Otherwise I'm fine with being patient for some momentum to build.
  • Reply 102 of 140
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Agreed, I'm seeing a lot about Ping that could have been better thought through. One of the things that I like about Facebook is that it actually does a pretty good job targeting my interests, Ping on the other hand seems to just recommend I follow the same people it recommends to anyone else. I know Lady Gaga is big stuff right now but for me personally I could give a crap. I'm not likely to use Ping unless it brings more relevant content and features that fit with my tastes & preferences.

I think Ping will ultimately be a success but it's sad to see Apple starting to become a Microsoft, jumping into new ideas without really giving it enough thought. Ultimately they have enough money & man power that they'll get this turkey off the ground but it doesn't bode well for Apple's reputation for them to start acting like Microsoft.

Again, this is day one. Apple has provided a framework for customers and artists to populate.

I'd be a lot more concerned if my library had been scanned and Apple knew my personal tastes from day one.

It's a nice system with some potential. New systems take time. So maybe people should cut it some slack.
  • Reply 103 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I don't think it's odd to expect that Apple couldn't have had more than 10 musicians on board to start things off. Otherwise I'm fine with being patient for some momentum to build.

as of today, I count around 80 artists to follow that's an eight fold increase in a day.

For the record, this is why Facebook will never have a rival. People forget about the early days of these services. You expect them to spring fully formed into being. New service appears - not enough content, teething problems?- completely unacceptable and "i'll never sign up, I read something in an article, so it must be true".

Laughable, frustrating and stifling new ideas at birth.
  • Reply 104 of 140
    Quote:

Again, this is day one. Apple has provided a framework for customers and artists to populate. ... It's a nice system with some potential. New systems take time. So maybe people should cut it some slack.

Apple should have known they were launching a new social network in a very mature social network environment, and planned accordingly. How difficult would it have been to get at least a few hundred artists to set up their accounts before the launch, so there was something, anything, for people to actually follow? A dozen artists is incredibly booooring!

And only allowing you to choose your favorite Top 10 songs, and only 3 genres of music, is also very short-sighted. The floods of spam that cover every page in Ping right now is a good indicator that this service was not fully thought through and poorly executed. I'm sure Facebook, and even MySpace, are laughing right now.

This is an embarrassment for Apple. If I were Steve Jobs, I'd shut Ping down until it was really ready for prime time.

Anyhoo, this is my last post here until at least December... over and out !!
  • Reply 105 of 140
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I can't seem to understand ANYTHING Apple has done lately.

When a student fails to understand ... it's not automatically the fault of others .... sometimes the student is just a really dumb, clueless person ... it "may" even apply here ... ya think?
  • Reply 106 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Now this time I have you right where I want you my friend. The "security by obscurity" expression was coined by none other than Mr. Jobs himself. Your leader. Your God. I wish I could remember where I heard that. I think it was a video of an older interview with Walt Mossberg on the Wall Street Journal Site. I can try to find it for you later or maybe someone else here can remember.

I don't just pull everything out of my fat ass Mr. nkhm. I really listen to Steve, I think I have seen every interview with him on the web and I even read a few books about him. He was a brilliant leader and visionary once. But lately I just can't figure him out. I just downloaded the new iTunes with the black and white icons and the small album art in list view and I shake my head with disbelief. Why would they do this? It's horrid looking!

I can't seem to understand ANYTHING Apple has done lately. And I don't believe for a minute I am the only one on this forum who feels this way. There must be someone here who doesn't drink Apple Juice and eat Apple Pie at every meal.

Time to sell your shares and move along then. If you can take a quote out of context and apply It in an irrelevant way, I don't think you understand Apple, modern corporations or the future of IT.
  • Reply 107 of 140
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

as of today, I count around 80 artists to follow that's an eight fold increase in a day.

For the record, this is why Facebook will never have a rival. People forget about the early days of these services. You expect them to spring fully formed into being. New service appears - not enough content, teething problems?- completely unacceptable and "i'll never sign up, I read something in an article, so it must be true".

Laughable, frustrating and stifling new ideas at birth.

I must be doing something wrong, I've not found any artists beyond the original 10.
  • Reply 108 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Just what we need, another opportunity for spammers.

I haven't even upgraded to iTunes 10, but I'm just hoping you can avoid even having Ping.

I d/l iTunes 10 and not using Ping, you don't have to sign up for it. Not sure if I will or not, likely wait some time to see what upgrades/complaints happen.
  • Reply 109 of 140
    Quote:

They don't need an 'excuse', once again this is a non-issue overstated by the media.

For the record, still no spam here on mine or my partner's account.

The best information I have is that the service is plagued by spam. Sorry.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Apple should have known they were launching a new social network in a very mature social network environment, and planned accordingly. How difficult would it have been to get at least a few hundred artists to set up their accounts before the launch, so there was something, anything, for people to actually follow? A dozen artists is incredibly booooring!

And only allowing you to choose your favorite Top 10 songs, and only 3 genres of music, is also very short-sighted. The floods of spam that cover every page in Ping right now is a good indicator that this service was not fully thought through and poorly executed. I'm sure Facebook, and even MySpace, are laughing right now.

This is an embarrassment for Apple. If I were Steve Jobs, I'd shut Ping down until it was really ready for prime time.

Anyhoo, this is my last post here until at least December... over and out !!

It's irrelevant how mature the market is, a system cannot start on day one fully populated and fully featured. Systems evolve, this will evolve. It takes time and nothing can change that.

It's not an embarrassment at any level, no matter what the media may spew to the masses.
  • Reply 111 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I must be doing something wrong, I've not found any artists beyond the original 10.

Take a look around the store.
  • Reply 112 of 140
    So. The ipods are great, the cameras and retina display appeared. The pad is getting printing, multitasking, folders, more features (for free). Itunes ten is faster, more responsive - even the apple tv isn't half bad.

New technologies, bug fixes, new, lower price points.

So what's left to complain about?

I know, a security company (with vested interest) tell us of spam 'attacks' on a fledgling service and the trolls pounce.

I guess things are getting desperate.

Can I suggest something new? Discussion of new products and features in a balanced way based on real world experience of them? Not repeating media FUD.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 113 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The best information I have is that the service is plagued by spam. Sorry.

do you use the service and are you plagued by spam?

does anyone you know who uses the service plagued by spam?

or do you simply believe everything you read on line?
  • Reply 114 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I d/l iTunes 10 and not using Ping, you don't have to sign up for it. Not sure if I will or not, likely wait some time to see what upgrades/complaints happen.

I can guarantee two things:

1. there will be complaints

2. the service will continue to evolve with new features

why not come along for the ride, what do you have to lose?
  • Reply 115 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

why use it? its a FAIL. please tell me apple doesn't think they are going to lure people in from facebook etc by way of itunes only? i thought apple may be reading some big cloud initiative that would rival the big players but not this way, won't happen.
  • Reply 116 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

why use it? its a FAIL. please tell me apple doesn't think they are going to lure people in from facebook etc by way of itunes only? i thought apple may be reading some big cloud initiative that would rival the big players but not this way, won't happen.

is there some rule that says everything about Apple has to be in competition with something else? this is a free, fun new add on to the music store to helping increase sales. Who said ANYTHING about this as a Facebook rival?
  • Reply 117 of 140
    Quote:

Time to sell your shares and move along then. If you can take a quote out of context and apply It in an irrelevant way, I don't think you understand Apple, modern corporations or the future of IT.

Wow. I really nailed you and that's all you can say? You called my argument ridiculous or whatever and I counter you with a quote by God almighty himself and you still think you're right?

Wow. You must be ten years old.
  • Reply 118 of 140
    <bored, so deleted>
  • Reply 119 of 140
    I was interested in following artists but there are very few right now. The first one I followed was labelled as "the Beatles". Within a day the name had changed to show it was really some French guy called Victor who just gave "The Beatles" as his name. Could have been a mistake. e is French after all.
  • Reply 120 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Seemingly, you think it is too difficult for Apple to implement.

If they can do cut and paste in only three years, this shouldn't be beyond their abilities.

You are quite the funny guy....