iPhone expected to become multi-carrier in Germany by October

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Another prominent exclusive arrangement with Apple for the iPhone is expected to conclude in a matter of months, when it is anticipated that Deutsche Telekom will lose sole access to the iPhone in Germany.

Sources told The Wall Street Journal Friday that Apple's iPhone will become available on two new carriers as soon as October. Currently, the handset is exclusive to Deutsche Telekom, but the plans are reportedly for it to become available on rival carriers Vodafone and O2.

"One said that deals haven't been finalized but added that negotiations are in an advanced stage," the report said. "Deutsche Telekom's exclusive rights to sell the device haven't been extended and could end as early as october, posing a threat to growth in the company's home market."

Deutsche Telekom, which is also the parent company of T-Mobile in the U.S. and elsewhere, has 37 million customers in Germany, while Vodafone has 34.9 million and O2 has 16.3 million.

Elsewhere throughout Europe, the end of exclusivity has resulted in boosted sales for Apple's iPhone. In 2009, the iPhone went multi-carrier in France after a government ruling nullified Apple's exclusive arrangement with Orange. After that, it was estimated that the Apple's handset rose to as high as a 40 percent market share of all smartphone sales in the nation.

In January of this year, Apple officials indicated that they will adopt a multi-carrier strategy where they believe it is appropriate. Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said at the time that Apple had selected countries where they believed a multi-carrier system would inevitably happen anyhow.

"I don't want to imply that would happen in every market or that we are headed that way in every market," he said.

Of course, the most largest exclusive arrangement for the iPhone is in the U.S., with AT&T. Rumors of a new CDMA iPhone compatible with the Verizon network have persisted for years, but have not become a reality.

In August, AT&T warned that exclusivity for "a number of attractive handsets" will end, leading some to believe that the company was preparing investors for the loss of iPhone exclusivity.

Adding to the rumors is the fact that the relationship between Apple and AT&T has been a controversial one, as some customers have been vocal in their displeasure with AT&T's service. One recent behind-the-scenes report suggested that Apple nearly ended its partnership with AT&T multiple times over a myriad of issues, as Apple was unwilling to restrict the Internet capabilities of its phone, and AT&T struggled to meet the overwhelming pressure the smartphone placed on his network.

And while Apple has allegedly not yet brokered a deal to extend exclusivity with Deutsche Telekom in the company's home country of Germany, there have also been rumors that the company has talked with Apple about a potential deal to bring the iPhone to carrier T-Mobile in the U.S. Of the four major carriers in America, T-mobile is the smallest, with 33.7 million customers as of July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    I'll be getting one (O2, here I come) if they will be fixing the antenna issue, if not, then I'll stick with my 3G for now.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

I'll be getting one (O2, here I come) if they will be fixing the antenna issue, if not, then I'll stick with my 3G for now.

Get an iPhone 4, you'll be pleasatly surprised at the lack of an antenna issue.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    That would leave the U.S. and Japan as the two largest markets with carrier exclusivity. I would love to see the iPhone come to T-Mobile USA!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

That would leave the U.S. and Japan as the two largest markets with carrier exclusivity. I would love to see the iPhone come to T-Mobile USA!

Yes, thanks for reminding me...
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Which antenna issue? I wasn't able to reproduce it on ANY iPhone 4 I was able to get my hands on. Not a single one, at least on T-Mobile's network.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

This subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

Are you in the UK? Why don't you find a friend over there with an iP4 and discuss this instead of reading all the nonsense propaganda going on here in the US? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that the "supposed" issues is simply FUD from apple-haters.

Enjoying my iP4 here in the U.S. "horror-zone" of San Francisco every day. No complaints at all.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    If T-Mobile loses their exclusive rights to the iPhone in Germany, most likely they will lose it in the Netherlands as well. In both countries, T-Mobile has currently exclusive rights to the iPhone. However, since T-Mobile Germany owns T-Mobile in The Netherlands, most likely if they loses the exclusive deal it will open up the Dutch market to other carriers as well.

Although I have always been pleased with the service from T-Mobile, many people are not and have avoided the iPhone or purchased an unlocked version in a neighboring country. Opening up the market would give more consumers access to the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Well, I am in Germany and can guarantee you that the iPhone 4 antenna is by far the best of any iPhone so far; e.g. I do have acceptable reception in the elevator and our underground garage - no other phone has ever achieved that (no iPhone, no BB, no SE and no Nokia phone). I use mine without a case and I never had a single dropped call. GPS lock is faster and more consistent than with the 3G/3GS as well. There is no reason to keep a 3G, unless money is an issue.

Otherwise I am with you, as soon as my current contract is up, I will move to O2 as well. They are the best provider over here.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

Are you in the UK? Why don't you find a friend over there with an iP4 and discuss this instead of reading all the nonsense propaganda going on here in the US? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that the "supposed" issues is simply FUD from apple-haters.

Enjoying my iP4 here in the U.S. "horror-zone" of San Francisco every day. No complaints at all.

The subject may have been beaten like a dead fanboys brains but the issue has not been fixed. Oh that's right. It was all made up by the bloggers at consumer reports.

Tell me. Does excessive koolaid drinking make you pee red?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EuroJohn View Post

If T-Mobile loses their exclusive rights to the iPhone in Germany, most likely they will lose it in the Netherlands as well. In both countries, T-Mobile has currently exclusive rights to the iPhone. However, since T-Mobile Germany owns T-Mobile in The Netherlands, most likely if they loses the exclusive deal it will open up the Dutch market to other carriers as well.

Although I have always been pleased with the service from T-Mobile, many people are not and have avoided the iPhone or purchased an unlocked version in a neighboring country. Opening up the market would give more consumers access to the iPhone.

Yep, T-Mobile has the worst coverage (outside of the 'Randstad' metropolitan area) of providers here (KPN is best, Vodafone is #2). I have been waiting for the end of exclusivity and so have many more people.

The CEO of KPN made very Ballmer-like negative comments about iPhone when it appeared. But these days, if you are a business and threaten to go away, they will offer you grey market import unlocked iPhones with contracts. Vodafone has something like that too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2008-MacDailyNews

"Apple’s iPhone is 'pretty useless' and sales in Germany have not dented new customer numbers for E-Plus, the German mobile unit of KPN, said Ad Scheepbouwer, chief executive of the Dutch telecoms company," Michael Steen reports for The Financial TImes.

Steen continues, "However, speaking after KPN reported fourth-quarter results in line with expectations and an upbeat outlook, Mr Scheepbouwer also said KPN would be interested in selling the iPhone in the Netherlands, where it has yet to be launched.

"'I had one and I thought it was a pretty useless phone, to be quite honest,' he told the Financial Times. 'The battery ran out in no time. I didn’t like the touch screen,'" Steen reports. "'We’d be more than happy to sell it,' he added. 'We have half the market in the Netherlands and we hope we will be the party of choice.'"

With comments like these, no wonder Steve would not let them sell it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The subject may have been beaten like a dead fanboys brains but the issue has not been fixed. Oh that's right. It was all made up by the bloggers at consumer reports.

Great. Whatever makes you feel better..
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

T-Mobile has much better reception where I am too - the signal on by jailbroken iPhone 3G is much more consistent. I threw a party on paying my last bill to AT&T. But I am holding out/hoping/praying for a Verizon iPhone in January too.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I have maybe one or two dropped phone calls per year with my iPhones (3G and 4). And all probably when the train I was in entered a tunnel.

I had maybe two or three dropped phone calls per year with my Motorola Razr, but mostly it was is not a dropped call but rather the phone or something on the phone crashing.

But I guess just stating that it is a total non-issue for me (and for all people I know personally), must be seen as supporting the enemy (ie, Apple). If I am not with you, I must be against you.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Test it yourselves. Don't let the media frenzy cloud your judgement.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This is great news. Now that the Germans have carrier competition, they will be able to download their sick B&D videos, and have their laughable philosophical conversations, for much cheaper rates.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Great. Whatever makes you feel better..

Not taking the bait eh? Good for you. You might be a normal person. Just maybe.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I don't think it will be a big problem for t-mobile. When you believe the report on n-tv

http://www.n-tv.de/technik/Telekom-i...le1376536.html

t-mobile has a backlog of 9 weeks for the IP4. When the other carriers run in the same problem there not much of a threat.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I threw a party on paying my last bill to AT&T.

Your life makes me sad.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

Which antenna issue? I wasn't able to reproduce it on ANY iPhone 4 I was able to get my hands on. Not a single one, at least on T-Mobile's network.

Must mean not enough H2O and/or body fat. Congrats on your good health -- and not being a fat complaining pig.

• Reply 20 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, thanks for reminding me...

whew yes

sprint would rock us down

T MOBILE ARE SOME INNOVATED IDEA'S !!!! so they also would be a good mix

and verizon ... well its not there << their >> fault

is it now..

DEVO will now play a double long extended set

are we not men ???

can't get no

can't get no

no no no

some how att will never let go

ATT will never let go

NEVER

TOUCH IS NOW my new last great hope after they crippled the nano w/ so many extra movie's

i may just buy an extra 160 g for back up

or maybe steve has a mini touch coming

peace

rant is over