iLife '11 Family Pack from Apple, Parallels 6 both spotted early

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

That is the family bundle price, single user should be cheaper

It could be nice that it incorporate some face time support thru it. the base of macs with a front camera is kind of big now and could add even more value to the Mac computers.

Yep, sorry, as i always get the family pack I forgot the single is even cheaper
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Based on what? that they didn't release 10.7 this year, one year after 10.6 even though they generally have the OS on a two year cycle.

based on their putting a focus on new tech this year at WWDC for the keynote, despite having several Mac OS panels and such.

Fact is that right now there's really not anywhere for OSX to go. There's no new tech. iOS is where the changes were possible. So that's where they went. It doesn't mean that they don't have a whole building of folks working on better computer hardware and improvements in Mac OSX

Based on the fact that Apple can't execute anymore. How dare I say such a thing?

Need I remind you of death grip antennas, supply shortages of iPads and iPhones (still!!). And lets not forget the venerable Mac with cracked bezels and yellow displays.

Now Apple is a company with the three chair legs of Mac, iOS and Apple TV. And they are going to juggle all of this how?

No, they are clearly putting all their steam into the iOS leg, hence my statement that the new iLife will be a crippled version for the iPad and leave the Mac in the dust.

It all makes perfect sense now, doesn't it??
  • Reply 43 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Based on the fact that Apple can't execute anymore. How dare I say such a thing?

Need I remind you of death grip antennas, supply shortages of iPads and iPhones (still!!). And lets not forget the venerable Mac with cracked bezels and yellow displays.

Now Apple is a company with the three chair legs of Mac, iOS and Apple TV. And they are going to juggle all of this how?

No, they are clearly putting all their steam into the iOS leg, hence my statement that the new iLife will be a crippled version for the iPad and leave the Mac in the dust.

It all makes perfect sense now, doesn't it??

Assuming you were right, maybe. But you aren't right, so no.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    When is Apple going to allow digital downloads instead of shipping on a DVD? Haven't they said the DVD is dead?
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Not trying to self promote but if you check out my blog it has specifics on parallels 6 straight from the box. Unfortunately my source was forced to take them down but I'm leaving mine up since it's such an unknown blog.

But on iLife I hope they bring that rumored app creator capability especially with google showing off their own, I would hope apple would do the same if not better.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

You don't, unless you use 3rd party software.

What do you mean Apple is doing away with DVD authing mastering. That should go over well with the pros.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Ignore this obvious PROFESSIONAL troll. Don't give him a hook to get started, or the thread is going into the ditch.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Usually released like a chicken and egg.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Seriously just get Rapidweaver - it's a fantastic piece of software. Apple should buy it and bundle as part of iLife.

RW is a preety cool piece of software but it's knowhere near what Apple could do with iWeb. It just doesn't have that Mac vibe to it. 1000's of templates and beefed up iWeb I would prefer even though I used RW for my site. A mac person working in feature dim tv can't use iWeb. Everyone you deal with knows their templates.

RW is easy to use once you get a feel for itbut the templates from Apple look so much better. Just to linter though and their should be a way to go in and change the templates around without having to do a lot of steps (as it is possible but far from easy).

Just like there are 3rd party email templates (stationary), I would like to see some for iWeb.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Ignore this obvious PROFESSIONAL troll. Don't give him a hook to get started, or the thread is going into the ditch.

Professional troll? That's not a very nice thing to say.

And once again for the cheap seats, why don't you try RESPONDING to my arguments instead of dismissing me by childish name calling. Give me some examples of Apple executing efficiently. I have plenty more of them not doing so.

iOS 4 which crippled the iPhone 3G, Aperture when it was first released being deathly slow importing existing libraries, DVD playback issues in Snow Leopard.

By the way, name calling is against the rules here Flaneur. I'm afraid I'll have to report you.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Looking forward for both programs, though I doubt I will buy either right away. I am happy with parallels 5, and since no new Windows or OSX has been released I don't see a reason to upgrade right now. I am also fairly happy with iLife right now as well. But I'm ready for something awesome that will change my mind.

Page's with built in speech to text would do it for me and trickle all the way down to the iPhone with setting for example like lecture where it picks up the proffesor only. Would need to add some logic noise gates, expansion etc. in it though.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

Professional troll? That's not a very nice thing to say.

And once again for the cheap seats, why don't you try RESPONDING to my arguments instead of dismissing me by childish name calling. Give me some examples of Apple executing efficiently. I have plenty more of them not doing so.

iOS 4 which crippled the iPhone 3G, Aperture when it was first released being deathly slow importing existing libraries, DVD playback issues in Snow Leopard.

By the way, name calling is against the rules here Flaneur. I'm afraid I'll have to report you.

He wants us to respond to his assertion that Apple, the currently failing technology company, can't execute anymore.

But to respond to his provocation would be off-topic. The post is about iLife, and the discussion is about where iDVD and FaceTime might fit in. Interesting, especially the speculation about FaceTime on the abandoned, orphaned Mac.

One who consistently derails threads by throwing big gobs of mud on the rails is a troll. If he seems to do it for a living, I call him a professional troll.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Amazon lists unreleased stuff all the time based on nothing but their own or customers' expectations. Not really news worthy.

Don't forget sometimes they do it for humor.

Do you remember a few years ago when they listed new versions of iLife and iWork as Macworld announcements one and two? That was funny (IMHO).
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

In the age of the Internet, who needs DVDs? Upload to YouTube or MobileMe, or stream it to your own TV with AppleTV.

You do realize that occasionally people travel beyond the reach of the cloud? And there are times where someone would rather use a .99 cent ripped dvd versus bringing along a $100 portable hard drive?

Just wanted to point out to you that there are still reasons some people would want or need to burn a dvd.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I understand that some people still want or need access to DVD authoring software, but I don't understand the insistence that Apple has to supply it.

It’s clear that Apple no longer sees optical media as a focus for their business. Note that iDVD in iLife, which is neither updated nor directly advertised as part of the iLife suite and they’ve also let their professional DVD Studio app idle, while still not adding AACS to their OS which would allow Blu-ray titlesto play on Mac OS X without booting into Windows on a Mac. Then just last week they even removed the CD icon from iTunes even though it will still import CDs just like before.

It should be crystal clear to everyone on these forums that Apple’s goal is to remove any direct association with optical media as soon as possible, which means that you’ll have to use their older SW or a 3rd-party app if you wish to author your wedding video or what-have-you.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normang View Post

I thought the last one was, if not, since Snow Leopard is, one might think that iLife and eventually iWork will be Intel only, its been almost 5 years now since the switch, time to upgrade.

I suspect this is correct! A switch to Intel only would be a smart move on Apples part and could happen with this release. The reasons are pretty simple, much of the tech that they would build iLife on is Intel / Snow Leopard only.

I know for those that are running Power PC this sucks. Unfortunately tech moves forward, I've owned close to a dozen computers that would be useless now if I had then around still. As noted most PPC machines are five or more years old now, time to bite the bullet.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

He wants us to respond to his assertion that Apple, the currently failing technology company, can't execute anymore.

But to respond to his provocation would be off-topic. The post is about iLife, and the discussion is about where iDVD and FaceTime might fit in. Interesting, especially the speculation about FaceTime on the abandoned, orphaned Mac.

One who consistently derails threads by throwing big gobs of mud on the rails is a troll. If he seems to do it for a living, I call him a professional troll.

Actually I started my post by implying that the new iLife would be for the iPad only. You can comment on that and remain on topic if you like.

Please respond quickly. I am going to report you again for name calling and I would like to hear your answer before you get banned.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm not a big iLife user myself, to be honest I'd have to look at the box to find out what is iLife software. However if the price is reasonable I'd likely update just to keep my machine up to date.

What I'm hoping for is a major iWork update. Especially to Numbers. Unfortunately there has been little indication of this happening soon. Pages, now that it has E-Book generation capabilities could be considered interesting update wise too.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Any idea if the new version of iMovie continues the trend of putting back all of the functionality that was in iMovie 6? Every version of iMovie after version 6 has been an abomination, imo.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    I've been using Parallels 6 for the past month or so.

I can't got into details obviously but the interface has a lot of refinements. It's really nice and is well worth the upgrade from 5 and certainly if you've got anything less than 5 UPGRADE... when it comes out that is.