QuickBooks 2011 for Mac to add support for multiple users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What accounting system do you use for your business? Our accounting dept. doesn't ever complain about QB and our CPA recommends it. I guess I'm just lucky I'm not the one who has to use it. They all use Windows and wouldn't know which mouse button to press on a Mac.

Myob has been on mac for decades, has been multiuser for years, and hasnt had stupid accounts breaking bugs like crapbooks. I have never had an update to myob damage my accounts in 20 plus years using it, where as quickbooks broke one of my clients on pretty much every update for 2 years. What a load of who cares
  • Reply 22 of 40
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Intuit lost me as a Quicken customer when they dropped the ability to print checks with the new version. I hope that will not be an omission with quickbooks.

Print cheques? Who still prints, or even uses, cheques these days?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBFromOZ View Post

Myob has been on mac for decades, has been multiuser for years, and hasnt had stupid accounts breaking bugs like crapbooks. I have never had an update to myob damage my accounts in 20 plus years using it, where as quickbooks broke one of my clients on pretty much every update for 2 years. What a load of who cares

I don't think Myob has been completely without problems. One of my friends owns a business and they chose Myob on Mac as their accounting program. They had so many accounts and invoices that Myob kept crashing and mangling the main file. This was back before OS X. Myob tech support told them they would have to switch over to the Windows version because the Mac version couldn't handle that much data. That is what they did but they continued to have weird issues even on Windows.

We have always run QB on Windows and never a problem.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Every US business.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Every US business.

Wow, so you don't believe in using technology in the US?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Businesses still do, though mine cuts about 80%+ via the bank's free bill pay system. The remainder are one-offs or other situations that need a check.

gc
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Intuit lost me as a Quicken customer when they dropped the ability to print checks with the new version. I hope that will not be an omission with quickbooks.

...take a step out of the stoneage. Stop using checks! Europe gave them up shortly after WWII.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Businesses still do, though mine cuts about 80%+ via the bank's free bill pay system. The remainder are one-offs or other situations that need a check.

gc

wow, that is so hard to believe, on this site we are told that the US is a digital pioneer, yet now I am reading quite the opposite, who to believe, who to believe.....
  • Reply 29 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I don't think Myob has been completely without problems. One of my friends owns a business and they chose Myob on Mac as their accounting program. They had so many accounts and invoices that Myob kept crashing and mangling the main file. This was back before OS X. Myob tech support told them they would have to switch over to the Windows version because the Mac version couldn't handle that much data. That is what they did but they continued to have weird issues even on Windows.

We have always run QB on Windows and never a problem.

I've been using Account Edge for Mac for about one year in my small business and I've nothing but good things to report.

I downloaded trial versions of QB and AE and liked AE the best.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

Wow, so you don't believe in using technology in the US?

It may be a cultural thing but also a legal situation. For example if you are audited, having a hard copy of transactions can be helpful. Furthermore if your workmans comp auditor comes to your office, at least in California, they are only allowed to examine hard copy records not digital records.

Occasionally bookkeepers try to embezzle by writing a check to themselves and the signature is proof of a valid check. Some companies require two signatures for checks over $500. Anyway checks are not going away any time soon for US businesses.

Also many small businesses are not set up to accept credit cards and wire transfers are expensive. Lastly nobody actually trusts paypal or giving strangers your account info.

As if that isn't enough Google sends me a big check every month which I never refuse.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    No thank you.

We gave up on QuickBooks a long time ago. All of our clients use the much superior AccountEdge for Mac.

AccountEdge has always been multi-user (and cross-platform!!), it's made by a company that actually CARES about Mac users, they have REAL tech support that isn't located in India, that never abandoned the Mac platform for 10 years, they truly listen to their customers' feedback, and... they STILL have more features than QuickBooks 2011.

For example, did you know that QuickBooks for Mac doesn't even let people "create purchase orders from invoices", a very common need for people that work with product sales. QuickBooks for Windows has ALWAYS allowed Windows users to do this, AccountEdge for Mac has ALWAYS allowed Mac & Windows users to do this... yet QuickBooks for Mac doesn't allow Mac users to do this! Absolutely crazy!

AccountEdge is sooo much more customizable than QuickBooks for Mac, too. And... AccountEdge will give you a free copy of AccountEdge for your accountant, so if your accountant doesn't already own AccountEdge, they can get a copy for free to do your taxes.

QuickBooks for Mac also doesn't have integrated payroll services, whereas AccountEdge does.

We are completely fed up with Intuit's lousy products, TERRIBLE product line for Macs, and HORRENDOUS India-based technical support.

Good riddance, QuickBooks. We will never need you because we love AccountEdge.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    [QUOTE=scotty321;1709882]

"We gave up on QuickBooks a long time ago. All of our clients use the much superior AccountEdge for Mac."

I can't quite beleive you. All of my clients (say 60 businesses) do all use MYOB and they ALL hate it with a passion.

If an alternative was available that worked with our Tax system and Payroll tax Scales etc in Australia, they would ALL jump to it.

MYOB may say it is cross platform, it also claims it is multiuser. Whilst this is true, it is only true in theory.

Anyone that has tried the network version, soon goes back to the standalone version. You cannot have more than three people connected at a time. Constant lockouts with the program crashing and not cleaning up its lock files.

As far as cross platform goes, First Edge is one way only. The Windows version can open the .myo files from the mac, but this is not true in reverse.

I have also heard of issues doing this with Account Edge derived files.

Plus MYOB has some of the worst interface design in the mac world. There are so many elements still hanging on from Mac OS 7 days (perhaps even earlier).

Have you tried editing the forms with any level of precision? This is a nightmare. Using eps files or any highres imagery so your invoices look nice? Forget it. Aligning hairline width lines just so? Forget it.

MYOB suffers from two many window syndrome, and pops open new windows (and often modal) just cause the programmers are too lazy to utilise any modern GUI methods?

ewhizz.net
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Oh and licensing for MYOB is done on your company file in MYOB. Any one can down load the trial and open your company file. The license you by is transportable with your company file.

As far as the free copy for your accountant.... only if your Company file is fully licensed. They cannot start their own Company file.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

You're joking, right? Any business which engages an ever-changing pool of independent contractors pays by cheque (some pay by check, too). One small company I'm involved with has two full-timers -- one of whom handles business matters -- and about 80 contractors. Any solution but cutting cheques would be a colossal waste of time. Unfortunately, thanks to Inuit's careful focus on the customer [/sarcasm], they use QB6 because the payroll system disintegrated more with each succeeding release.

I've tried to get them to investigate alternative programs, but, with two staffers, there isn't time for tryouts. So QB6 lumbers on.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

You're joking, right? Any business which engages an ever-changing pool of independent contractors pays by cheque (some pay by check, too). One small company I'm involved with has two full-timers -- one of whom handles business matters -- and about 80 contractors. Any solution but cutting cheques would be a colossal waste of time. Unfortunately, thanks to Inuit's careful focus on the customer [/sarcasm], they use QB6 because the payroll system disintegrated more with each succeeding release.

I've tried to get them to investigate alternative programs, but, with two staffers, there isn't time for tryouts. So QB6 lumbers on.

No I'm not joking, making payments by a cheque is a backward (old fashioned may be a better term) way of making payments. Electronic payments have been available for a number of years, and are much cheaper, and easier for the bank, and the business to use.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Is there any definitive word on whether it can be used by Canadians?

The current Mac version can't print Canadian Image Ready Cheques, implemented a few years back. The new version would need to handle the GST/PST/HST transitions that are happening this year in Ontario and British Columbia. And multi-currency would be nice, given cross-border issues.

These are only tweaks, which I hope the U.S. side took into account when the new version was being planned.

Because Intuit Canada is beyond useless.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JPDLVMH View Post

Quicken lost me as a customer, and my recommendations as a consultant to my customers, when they refused to say and do anything about a proper update/upgrade to Quicken for Mac, together with an APP to go on the iPAD/iPHONE.

I quit recommending Intuit products years ago, as well. Their incessant insistence that Mac users don't need the same features as WIndows users was the final straw. There's a long list of problems - and nothing from Intuit other than "too bad":

- Can't share data files between Mac and Windws

- Couldn't use Quickbooks Mac in a multiuser environment (MAYBE fixed after 20 years, but we'll see)

- Inferior feature set on the Mac version

- Point of Sale won't run on Macs

- Crappy QC - software that wouldn't run without endless fiddling

- Worthless support - doesn't speak English and has no suggestions other than uninstall and reinstall (if that doesn't work, you have to reinstall Windows, as well)

- My favorite - lousy design. We were using QB Point of Sale and needed to move the data file to another server. The only way to accomplish that was to uninstall the software from every single client computer and reinstall it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flip Wilson View Post

QuickBooks isn't so bad, we use it every day.

However, Intuit has the world's worst customer service of any company on the planet. Worse then TimeWarner cable, worse then USPS, worse then Comcast. Simply the worst ever.

If you ever run into problems with the program crashing on installation, crashing on use, crashing on upgrades, data corruptions, etc. Your telephone call will be routed to somebody who speaks English as a third or worse language who will then refuse to help you unless you pay their extortion fees.

After you concede to pay the extortion fees they will utterly fail to resolve the issues.

They will then refuse to reverse the extortion fees and disconnect you.

Thank God for AmEx who will wipe the charges if you complain to them, but Intuit will never step up and fix the issue.

Total, complete, a$$holes.

QFT

Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post

Multi-user... Finally!

We'll see. So far, I haven't seen any indication that this will access Windows QB data files. I wouldn't be surprised if Intuit had separate, incompatible Mac and Windows data files.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flip Wilson View Post

QuickBooks isn't so bad, we use it every day.

However, Intuit has the world's worst customer service of any company on the planet. Worse then TimeWarner cable, worse then USPS, worse then Comcast. Simply the worst ever.

If you ever run into problems with the program crashing on installation, crashing on use, crashing on upgrades, data corruptions, etc. Your telephone call will be routed to somebody who speaks English as a third or worse language who will then refuse to help you unless you pay their extortion fees.

After you concede to pay the extortion fees they will utterly fail to resolve the issues.

They will then refuse to reverse the extortion fees and disconnect you.

Thank God for AmEx who will wipe the charges if you complain to them, but Intuit will never step up and fix the issue.

Total, complete, a$$holes.

Agree. 110%
  • Reply 39 of 40
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Haven't used it myself, but the new MoneyWorks 6 has some seriously impressive screenshots.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    e_whizze_whizz Posts: 13member
    yes MoneyWorks is the best accounting app on the Mac at the moment. Much more modern than all the others, good support etc. The program is incredibly flexible. I’ll be moving over to it at the end of this financial year, and have been recommending it to all my clients.