Extended iTunes song samples stalled due to licensing issues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Video killed the Radio star (i think thats how it went)

Radio > LP > Tape > CD > MP3 (and other that i've missed in the chain)

main thing is Bit Torrent has got in there first between the change over from CD > MP3 and has hurt the process quite a lot, and i feel it will never have a strong hold as it should of had if the industry had some Apple policies and adopt change!
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtESilburner View Post

Seriously, running a store takes at least a rudimentary customer service ability. Has Google ever demonstrated that ability? When you look at their foray into selling the Nexus One, what is the biggest complaint everybody had? Poor customer service. If anybody is/was going to be an 'iTunes' killer, it was Amazon. So far, not so much. Android on a handset does not a positive experience make, no matter how much cheaper the suits at EMI et al sell their bits and bytes. Until Google does it, can we stop with the silly 'iTunes' killer stuff, please? I'm worried about Lady Gaga's future.

I can't say that I know of very many people that are calling for a new music store, other then the occasional anything is better then Apple types. Yes I know that is purely antidotal.

I don't think Apple "fears" a Googly music store, rather I think that the the various parties in the music industry "hope" that a viable competitor emerges. Then they can negotiate with Apple from a stronger position. If a large portion of digital music downloads continues to be linked to the iTunes store then the record execs are prevented from abusing us the customers. Obviously, this situation is deplorable to record executives and hence the reason they will make favorable deals with anyone and everyone but Apple.

You make a great point abut Amazon. I wonder why their music store hasn't taken off? In the past the record labels have given Amazon special treatment and yet...meh. So far, I have not been tempted to buy from Amazon over iTunes.

Perhaps technology pundits make a big deal out of things like the rumored Google store because posting stories like these drive page views? I know I can't seem to resist reading stories about the next great itunes,ipod,etc challenger. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Zune, anyone?

In regards to Lady Gaga, my wife and I are still debating wether or not she has a poker.

Either way I think she will be just fine.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

Well, when there is a change in the technology and an impacted profession refuses to adapt, or isn't needed anymore, it disappear, as did the lamplighters when we shifted from gas to electricity for lightening.

If they thought they would make more money, they'd do it. But they make more money with the status quo. When that equation changes, they will change distribution methods.

The lamplighter analogy doesn't work at all. When light distribution switched to electricity, the economics to do so were already in place. The lamplighters were just re-tasked.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Originally Posted by anantksundaram

What a sad joke of an industry. In a few more years, these guys/gals will be all gone. Finished.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they became extinct, what with their unprogressive attitudes - always 2 or 3 steps behind the requirements of their market and users, all of whom they seem to regard as thieves and opportunists.

Remember that Apple almost single-handedly had to drag the Record Labels and Movie Industry "kicking and screaming" into embracing digital downloads, and in return they started to favour Amazon and other online shops with DRM-free downloads and longer samples, all in an effort to play the "Kingmaker" role and artificially game the market to their advantage.

One of these bonehead moves will be a step too far, you'll see...

If they all go there will only be independent music and movies. Or do you think Apple would bankroll everything?

The impact would be far greater than contents of your iPod and the price you pay (which would increase). Do you understand the importance of these industries (Hollywood?) in the USA, both economically and in terms of projection of influence around the world? Did they need a bail-out in the recent economic troubles?

If you like you can opt-out of society, only buy independently produced and distributed music and movies. Oh but you'll have to leave your ipod behind. And your money. Enjoy your life where everything is free.

You need to think this through.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Music industry insiders say Apple "tried to rush a deal through" without securing agreements from all the necessary parties.

What a friggin surprise...

Does Apple shit all over everybody it is negotiations with? Or just ignore parties in interest figuring that some little company's lawsuit will be a cheaper way for Apple to license what they need?

That is pretty evil in my book.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

If they thought they would make more money, they'd do it. But they make more money with the status quo. When that equation changes, they will change distribution methods.

I guess you missed the news about plummeting sales, profits, and employment that has followed every one of their attempts to maintain 'status quo.'

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

You need to think this through.

Actually, perhaps you do.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    I felt the same for the tech bloggers community it seems that everything goog does is a threat to Apple. I wonder where did they get the message from maybe from where the sun doesn't shine.

The other thing which I like to see the sales figure for android phones - I heard about activations and activations also means hand me down of me too iPhones (android) - say I give away an android and it was activated by another party so it is counted as an activation.