T-Mobile US rumored to get Apple's iPhone 3GS, but not iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Jailbroken, first-gen... for the most part, it works fine. Edge is slow, but wi-fi is what I use mostly, so the phone is sufficient. What I do miss is fully functional visual v-mail, ala AT-T. Don't get why T-Mobile doesn't support it since they have the technology in Germany w/ D-Telecom.

This is half a step in the right direction for Apple; anything they do to increase the user base is a good thing. But as stated above, the real 'Droid v. iPhone test will come when the phones can play in parity on the same providers.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I teach law and this theory doesn't make any sense to me.

This makes some sense. T-Mobile might want to start with the 3GS because they don't want to suddenly overload their network. Apple might want to start with the 3GS if they have a large inventory of 3GS phones to liquidate. Either way, I would not expect T-Mobile to sell only the 3GS model for more than several months.

How is your profession of teaching law relevant to his theory? Since you don't know anything about the contract between Apple and at&t, making that statement can only be some bizarre attempt to make it seem like you have some elevated intellect. In reality, it only serves to show how douche-tastic you are.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:

Legally possible? Yes, it's legally possible. Is it plausible? I don't think so.

I think it sounds entirely plausible. Why wouldn't the global iOS deal change when the iPad was given exclusively to ATT?

It is a distinct possibility, and in my estimation, very likely.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Legally possible? Yes, it's legally possible. Is it plausible? I don't think so.

Very plausible. Will it happen? Who knows? But what does that have to do with your teaching law?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

How is your profession of teaching law relevant to his theory? Since you don't know anything about the contract between Apple and at&t, making that statement can only be some bizarre attempt to make it seem like you have some elevated intellect. In reality, it only serves to show how douche-tastic you are.

Thanks for your support, but please be careful with the wording.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Android is doomed. IPhone goes multicarrier. I can see it now, millions of customers desperately lining up at T-mobile to buy last years iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post

Android is doomed. IPhone goes multicarrier. I can see it now, millions of customers desperately lining up at T-mobile to buy last years iPhone.

The more US carriers that get the iPhone the harder it will be for other vendors to gain ot bold ground against carrier-focused customers who simply can't or won't switch to AT&T, but i can't see how Android would be doomed.

In fact, I see such a move as a slowing of Android OS adoption, but would expect Android to still be the dominate smartphone OS simple by virtue of the number of vendors, who generally have a lot more models with vatmryibg pricepoints than Apple at any given time.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

and once AT&T gets a tier A Android phone a lot of iPhone users will switch as well
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

But why the 3GS? If true, it might have something to do with the last vestiges of the contract with AT&T.

Quote:

I teach law and this theory doesn't make any sense to me.

I taught CoBOL... in Spanish... in Peru!

It makes perfect sense to me! ¡No hay dudas!

• Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

and once AT&T gets a tier A Android phone a lot of iPhone users will switch as well

Unlikely, since people aren't going to want to give up the compatibility with the whole iTunes ecosystem, their app investment, etc. Google discourages paid apps to increase add opportunities, but the (other) negative side-effect for them is that Android users won't feel like they have to give up much, if any, investment to switch, whereas iPhone users will.

EDIT: Although, why anyone would lend any credence to a rumor from ("The internet is dead!") Wired...
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unlikely, since people aren't going to want to give up the compatibility with the whole iTunes ecosystem, their app investment, etc. Google discourages paid apps to increase add opportunities, but the (other) negative side-effect for them is that Android users won't feel like they have to give up much, if any, investment to switch, whereas iPhone users will.

EDIT: Although, why anyone would lend any credence to a rumor from ("The internet is dead!") Wired...

That's an interesting point! I could sell my iPhone and buy an Android phone, but I have no way to honestly sell my apps-- they remain on my computer, tied to my iTunes ID. I guess I cold leave the copy on the sold iPhone, and it would remain valid until the app was updated.

If I had another iPhone or an iPod Touch, I could still run the apps on it (5 devices)... But, that would put the Android phone a disadvantage-- it couldn't run the apps I bought, yet the iPod could.

We have 455 apps in our family for 2 iPads, 5 iPhones and 0 iPod touches (3 of the iPhones are SIM-less and act as iPod Touches).

I would guess that 60% are paid apps at an average cost of $3-- That's $820 invested in apps.

• Reply 32 of 58
    Would make a lot of people I know happy if T-Mo were to pick up the 3GS and offer it pre-paid as well as contract.

That change alone would move plenty of 3GSes.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The more US carriers that get the iPhone the harder it will be for other vendors to gain ot bold ground against carrier-focused customers who simply can't or won't switch to AT&T, but i can't see how Android would be doomed.

In fact, I see such a move as a slowing of Android OS adoption, but would expect Android to still be the dominate smartphone OS simple by virtue of the number of vendors, who generally have a lot more models with vatmryibg pricepoints than Apple at any given time.

Sorry, I was not clear, but I was being flip. A lot of posters here seem to believe that once the iPhone goes multi-carrier, Android is relegated to the dustbin of history, or, at best, slides to the low end. I just can't see a lot of people moving to the smallest carrier, to buy last years technology.

I think the AT&T issue is way overblown, and is analogous to American political opinions in the sense of "all politicians are corrupt" and then they vote to re-elect their current representative.

I don't think most people switch carriers if they have a history with that carrier and if the carrier is reasonable (broadly defined). Sprint had horrible customer service (not reasonable), which is the reason I eventually switched.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Remember, the iPhone isn't a cheapo/free phone. There are features that require carrier support like Visual Voicemail and data+voice simultaneously. The phone itself may not need a ton of re-engineering, but the carrier's network might which has to be at least as difficult a task as redoing the phone's innards.

The point being that making a phone's OS work with different cellular radios and protocols (GSM vs CDMA) has been done to death. It's not like Apple would be breaking new ground there. As for Visual Voicemail...unlocked phones seem to have no problem working on other networks that don't support that. And I doubt every overseas operator that sells the iPhone supports it, either. It's a nice to have feature, not a core component of the iPhone "experience". Data+voice, yes, that would need to be part of the OS component interacting with the cellular components, but doesn't ATTs 2G network have the same limitation (I could be wrong) so the iPhone OS can apprently already deal with that scenario.

I've seen time and time again people say Apple would need to "completely redesign" the iPhone or it would be a "major overhaul". I just don't see it. The only significant barriers are: 1) Apple's contract with ATT, and 2) Apple and Verizon coming to a business agreement. That second item is far more difficult than any tech-related issue.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

While broadly true, this will vary on a case by case basis. If you have an iPhone, and not a lot of apps, then there is no real loss, if you have an Android and lots of apps, then you have a potential loss.

Secondly, most of the surveys suggest that for most people, most apps are not used after a couple of weeks. So, in the end, it would come down to availability and cost to replace the core apps that you use.

The exception to this is that I think MS (if they manage to do it right) has a chance to convert a hunk of Windows based iPhone users to WP7. The question is whether they can do it correctly.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

While broadly true, this will vary on a case by case basis. If you have an iPhone, and not a lot of apps, then there is no real loss ...

Except losing the whole iTunes/iPod integration, which is also a gain going the other direction.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

Except losing the whole iTunes/iPod integration, which is also a gain going the other direction.

That is true for Android users.

But like I said, if MS pulls it off, they have an equally compelling ecosystem for Windows users

Zune marketplace for movies, music, TV shows - and it has had social networking since the beginning. A brief examination of the Zune library indicates it is pretty equivalent to iTunes in terms of content.

Xbox Live integration and games.

Office integration

Exchange/Enterprise integration

App store - we shall see what happens, but MS claims 300,000 downloads of the SDK. Ten percent of that would bet 30,000 apps at opening for example.

So, if you are a Windows user, you do not really give up much, except possibly for apps.

I have maybe 50 apps for my iPhone. I use maybe 6-8 on a regular basis, the others are not even loaded, so apps could be a wash.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

That is true for Android users.

But like I said, if MS pulls it off, they have an equally compelling ecosystem for Windows users ...

Right, because that Zune ecosystem has been wildly popular to date.

No one has an equivalent ecosystem to iTunes.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    I've been using T-Mobile with my 2G iPhone for about 6 months and I love it. The service in my area is so much better with T-Mobile.

I'd rather use a different phone than go back to AT&T.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

Right, because that Zune ecosystem has been wildly popular to date.

No one has an equivalent ecosystem to iTunes.

In this particular case, you need to dissociate the hardware (Zune player) from the software (a place to buy movies etc). The player is not popular, but that is not relevant for a WP7 phone.

The important aspect is a place for purchasing and viewing/listening to entertainment content.

In the sense that the Marketplace has the same content as iTunes, then yes, it is pretty equivalent in as an ecosystem for buying music and movies.

Contrast this with Android, where you currently have to go somewhere else (e.g., Amazon) to buy music. With the WP7, for better or worse, you stay in the MS environment, as you do with Apple and iTunes. In both cases, you have a consistent experience.