Apple no longer banning third-party iOS development tools

Comments

• Reply 81 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone;

An .flv file is a movie file similar to a .mpg, it doesn't contain any Actionscript programming just audio and video. Flash decompilers to my knowledge only disassemble the binary .swf file back to an editable Flash .fla file but do not result in a playable file as in a deliverable application, with the notable exception of Gordon.js. The CS5 converter is a totally different animal. It produces a fully executable iPhone app which may behave like a Flash swf application but has nothing in common from a digital standpoint since it does not depend on a runtime player.

As for SWF yeah okay I get what you are saying. I'm just surprised that if you can decompile to a useable .fla with all the components and actionscript (I did this before)... Someone could make a Flash playing app that handles flv and swf elements as well as web pages. But this is where Adobe's licensing and restrictions probably all come into play, and come back to bite Adobe in the ass when it comes to iOS, Android, Bberry, Windowsphone...
  • Reply 82 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I think that is a little bit of a fanboy statement. I agree OSX is better, but how can it be more successful when most of the world uses PC's and are forced to use Windows?

No, the Bill Gates business strategy was a more successful one. Assuming were talking about sheer bucks in the bank.

Are you sure you aren't tekstud? This is perfect tekstudian logic in the context of the discussion -- you know, where you blatantly contradict the position you are arguing.
  • Reply 83 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that would still require codec support for FLV. While previously not allowed there have been recent video apps that seem to get around that limitation. Perhaps this evolution of the app store will allow for included codecs within apps.

You don't have to use On2, you can use H.264. Too bad they took flv export out of QuickTime. I preferred the pro version.
  • Reply 84 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone;

Wow I thought it was pretty obvious, not even fanboys are so delusional as to think Mac is more successful than Windows from a business perspective, which is what the post was in response to.

Still all depends how you define better and successful. Windows is certainly more popular and widespread, on the desktop and laptop... But mobile and tablet is where things change.
  • Reply 85 of 176
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Competition is neither good nor bad. Its results can be constructive, or destructive. It is only the actions of competitors that make the result of competition positive or negative, and there is no guarantee what the result will be.

Quote:

What a terrible thing to say. Competition is a very good thing. Unless you're a shareholder I guess.

Always nice to see people castigated for failing to hold firm to a dogma. Makes life so much more simple.

Here's how this could be a bad thing. Say Apple has a product that has superior features, and there's this competing product with inferior features but it's been commoditized.

Now say that someone makes a generic tool to make cross platform games (or whatever). They naturally target the lowest common denominator, ie only the features shared by both platforms.

Suddenly, Apple's superior features count for nothing, because programs aren't actually taking advantage of it. And the only thing that counts becomes price. Apple's marketshare goes to 3%. It's happened before. And competition there became a bad thing, because it was an obviation of everything but competition on price.
  • Reply 86 of 176
    Quote:

You seem to have missed my point. I agreed that competition was a necessary (although, not in a strict sense, since it's possible to have good come from a situation without competition) condition of a good outcome. However, the important distinction is that it is not a sufficient condition to guarantee a good outcome. Thus, declaring, "There is competition, all is well!" is a mistake since the existence of competition in no way guarantees that all is well.

Ah. Now that you've clarified it a bit more on the guarantee part, I agree with your thoughts. Seems like I read your point in reverse.
  • Reply 87 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;

I think that would still require codec support for FLV. While previously not allowed there have been recent video apps that seem to get around that limitation. Perhaps this evolution of the app store will allow for included codecs within apps.

Cinexplayer and OplayerHD are quite interesting Xvid players... Does adobe allow FLV playback in a lot of non-Adobe apps on PC or iOS or whatever?
  • Reply 88 of 176
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

As for SWF yeah okay I get what you are saying. I'm just surprised that if you can decompile to a useable .fla with all the components and actionscript (I did this before)... Someone could make a Flash playing app that handles flv and swf elements as well as web pages. But this is where Adobe's licensing and restrictions probably all come into play, and come back to bite Adobe in the ass when it comes to iOS, Android, Bberry, Windowsphone...

SWF is an open protocol. Anyone can export as swf. Just very few players other than Flash out there but there are some. Only the newer versions of Flash are proprietary to Adobe however they have recently released their AS3 runtime engine as open source. Mozilla is in the process of incorporating it into a future version of FF. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/
  • Reply 89 of 176
    Man, I am loving Atomic browser on iPad ! Just had to say. And probably it could not have been made with anything other than Xcode even if third party dev tools were available? Muah ha ha ha
  • Reply 90 of 176
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

So while competition isn't good for everyone its good for the only group the matters which is the consumer.

How's all that competition from China working out for the American consumer .... can now buy more for the dollar ... just no jobs because of it.

Remember .. be careful what you wish for ... you just might get it.
  • Reply 91 of 176
    Quote:

Are you sure you aren't tekstud? This is perfect tekstudian logic in the context of the discussion -- you know, where you blatantly contradict the position you are arguing.

I am not techstud, who I miss having here by the way.
  • Reply 92 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow I thought it was pretty obvious, not even fanboys are so delusional as to think Mac is more successful than Windows from a business perspective, which is what the post was in response to.

oops. sorry.

Ahh, whadda ya want from my life? I don't have time to read every irrational and illogical post on this forum.
  • Reply 93 of 176
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

There has always been an exception for [HTML and javascript]. You can download javascript and execute it. I think all hybrid apps still get a mature rating though.

Quoting from the guidelines:

"Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript"

If an app isn't a web browser, then the use of HTML and javascript isn't explicitly sanctioned.
  • Reply 94 of 176
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
  • Reply 95 of 176
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Ahh, whadda ya want from my life? I don't have time to read every irrational and illogical post on this forum.

Probably because you're too busy writing them.
  • Reply 96 of 176
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Field Test Returns in iOS 4.1

http://www.cultofmac.com/field-test-...-ios-4-1/58457

Yes, this is some good news. The data it reports is minimal compared to past implementations, however, in that the tower being used isn't identified. With the new implementation, the signal can vary when the phone silently switches towers, not having anything to do with changes in the surrounding environment.
  • Reply 97 of 176
    Where exactly can I find the iOS Developer Program license? And does anybody have the before and after versions so they can be compared?

Update: I found the new one at http://developer.apple.com/programs/...t_20100909.pdf
  • Reply 98 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Yes, iFart was a work of true genius.

I agree. A work-o-f-art.
  • Reply 99 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, competition can result in a race to the bottom, as has happened in the PC industry.

There is no competition in the PC industry. There is competition between hardware manufacturers, but Microsoft has a monopoly on the OS. OS X, Linux, etc make up only a small percentage of PC sales. No competition means no need to innovate and improve. If there was a major competitor to Windows (maybe if OS X had 30% market-share) Microsoft would be motivated to improve Windows.

Or look at the browser market: Lots of improvements whilst Netscape and IE were battling it out. But when the competition ended and we were left with just IE, development stopped and we were left with IE6 stagnating for years. As soon as competition returned (thanks to FireFox) Microsoft were forced to start development on IE again and whilst IE8 is not as good as the competition it is a lot better than IE6.
  • Reply 100 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

There is no competition in the PC industry. There is competition between hardware manufacturers, but Microsoft has a monopoly on the OS.

Good point. Now that Macs use the same standard hardware as PCs, it really all boils down to what OS is in the machine.