Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac to launch Sept. 14 with 80 new features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenSS View Post

Where is this $20 rebate? All I see is $20 off the 'normal' price on Nova's site.

As noted, it is on Amazon, not Nova.

Amazon - Parallels Desktop 5.0 for Mac

"List Price: $79.99

Price: $39.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $40.00 (50%)

Post-purchase rebate: $20.00 Get forms

Price after rebate: $19.99 "
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I bought Parallels 4 in Sept. 2009.

5 weeks later, version 5 came out. I received an email offering a discounted upgrade.

I wasn't happy to have to pay anything but decided it would be worth it.

I filled out a full page form, waited a week, then got an email stating: I wasn't "eligible" for the upgrade price! It explained that it was really designed for "older" versions or some BS like that.

I was furious and sent an email to the president of Parallels, Sergei. I basically told him I didn't like their upgrade policy and would switch back to Fusion and recommend Fusion to everyone that I knew.

He was very nice (and smart) and gave me an upgrade gratis.

I've liked the product but often wished it was a little faster. Version 6 sounds great.

I agree with the comment above - wait for a bundle in Macheist or some other such "deal".

If you are a student you can get it for half price also.....
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Parallels did me good for 4 years....Monday, I get rid of my last windows application that I will ever have to use!

Thanks Parallels!
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I agree with the comment above - wait for a bundle in Macheist or some other such "deal".

Or get V5 & free upgrade to V6 now for $20
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Wait for the closeout sale on Amazon next month. Better yet, MacHeist will bundle it with 9 other apps for $39 this Xmas.

Parallels hasn't been in a MacHeist bundle yet. What makes you think it's going to be in this one?

Your comments are unfounded and probably written by a person who doesn't use the product. Parallels is indispensable for my work and having used VMWare intensely I can tell you Parallels is the better product and VMWare is playing catchup... like it's been doing since it was released.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Thank the stars above we no longer need any Windows apps so I'll pass ... but Parallels and VMWare helped ease the transition for some apps we needed at first so thanks for the memories. Now all apps we need are Mac available ... so .... so long, farewell .. and good riddance. No hard feeling
  • Reply 27 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Parallels did me good for 4 years....Monday, I get rid of my last windows application that I will ever have to use!

Thanks Parallels!

Ha ha, ... SNAP!

We can't be alone either ...
  • Reply 28 of 36
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    I do only use it every day, with one application, and it has NEVER crashed?

Skip
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

I just upgraded and version 6 is extremely fast compared to version 5. Version 5 was barely usable. I fired it up before installing the upgrade and it took 16:30 minutes to get from clicking the icon to a working desktop. Some of the issue may have been Time Machine running in the background, but it never warned me. Version 6 does. After install it took only 2:30 minutes to go from clicking on the icon on the desktop to a working desktop and after the tools were updated it was even faster on the reboot.

So for me it's finally usable and I won't have to rely on using MS's "Remote Desktop Connection" connection to a real WIn PC anymore.

Worth the upgrade.

My setup is a spring 2009 24" iMac 2.8 GHz C2D running 10.6.4.

Funny my VMware Fusion 3.1.1 boots up from scratch into my Windows VM in 29 seconds... So much for Parallels being so much faster.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Funny my VMware Fusion 3.1.1 boots up from scratch into my Windows VM in 29 seconds... So much for Parallels being so much faster.

I agree that Fusion is as fast as it should be, but I don't think those examples of 2:30 boot times or 10 minute restore times are typical of Parallels. Very likely there is insufficient resources or user error in the mix. Even if there isn't, a first Windows boot might take 2:30 because the boot optimizer hasn't kicked in yet. A Windows 7 first-boot takes longer than usual because it is still finishing certain things. Just like on OS X after an update.

Whatever the case, I trust VMWare stability more.

Tip: Use a SCSI virtual hard disk in your non-Bootcamp VMs for better disk performance. VMWare also recommends using 64-bit OSes instead of 32-bit, where practical.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

I just upgraded and version 6 is extremely fast compared to version 5. Version 5 was barely usable. I fired it up before installing the upgrade and it took 16:30 minutes to get from clicking the icon to a working desktop. Some of the issue may have been Time Machine running in the background, but it never warned me. Version 6 does. After install it took only 2:30 minutes to go from clicking on the icon on the desktop to a working desktop and after the tools were updated it was even faster on the reboot.

So for me it's finally usable and I won't have to rely on using MS's "Remote Desktop Connection" connection to a real WIn PC anymore.

Worth the upgrade.

My setup is a spring 2009 24" iMac 2.8 GHz C2D running 10.6.4.

Just installed PD5 (+ XP Pro SP3) yesterday and it DID ask about using Time-machine (which I declined). Faultless install and everything works (so far, touch wood).

This thing is FAST; it starts up the Windas VM in coherence mode in 40 seconds flat, which makes me wonder how PD6 could be 41% faster since 25 sec is faster than even SL loads at startup! (2010 MBpro 4GB). I needed it to run ChemBioOffice (Ultra) which has been unsupported for Mac by Cambridge Soft (boo, hiss!) since 2002. That and obligatory MS Office load and run very fast in the virtual machine. Even the butt ugliness of programs in Windas XP is alleviated a bit by using the MacOS-skin option but which, unfortunately, can't disguise the inherent kludginess of everything in Soviet-technology Windas.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Parallels hasn't been in a MacHeist bundle yet. What makes you think it's going to be in this one?

It has been in a Mupromo bundle in May 2010, May 2009 and April 2008.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

As noted, it is on Amazon, not Nova.

Amazon - Parallels Desktop 5.0 for Mac

"List Price: $79.99

Price: $39.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $40.00 (50%)

Post-purchase rebate: $20.00 Get forms

Price after rebate: $19.99 "

Rebate is good through end of Sept, but is there confirmation somewhere that there would be a free upgrade for purchases of version 5 through amazon?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wrgeck View Post

Rebate is good through end of Sept, but is there confirmation somewhere that there would be a free upgrade for purchases of version 5 through amazon?

Nova Development is an authorized reseller

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac Tech Guarantee

"Buy a qualifying Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac product from an authorized reseller or from www.parallels.com starting August 15th, 2010 and you will be eligible upgrade to Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac at no additional cost when it becomes available on September 14.

Save your Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac dated sales receipt, register your product and activation key at https://www.parallels.com/account/ and keep your activation key in a safe place. Bookmark this page and come back once Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac has been released in your language.

The following Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac products qualify for the Tech Guarantee:

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac Full Version

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac Upgrade

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac OEM Version

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac Student License

Parallels Desktop Switch to Mac Edition"
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Parallels has been the best Windows environment on MacOS for some time -- when it works. Which is the problem. I finally gave up on Parallels with release 5.0 after having used their product since almost the beginning, when the upgrade crashed all the time and ate one of my VM's. I had been running Parallels for running Windows and VMware Fusion for running Linux because Parallels sucked so bad at running Linux (disk performance was roughly *HALF* of what it was under VMware), now I accept VMware's slower Windows performance because a) half as much software, and b) IT DOES NOT CRASH.

The Parallels folks need to work on that whole QA thing. Using their customers as unpaid beta testers is not professional, and those of us who use virtualization products for our jobs simply will not tolerate it. I have never -- *EVER* -- had VMware Fusion crash on me, even when it was a brand new product. I only *wish* I could say the same thing about Parallels...
  • Reply 36 of 36
    If you, like me, got the advanced upgrade to 6 for existing users, a newer build is now available:

Build 6.0.11822

(Revision 604190; September 14, 2010)

From the 'Parallels Desktop' menu, click on 'Check For Updates'.

It downloads ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11822.604190.dmg from which you can install the update.

The previous was ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11820.602974.dmg