Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac launches with 80 new features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    yeah well they should treat their customers more fairly though, an interim update they had in the makings and an extra $50 isn't.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Does anyone use Visual Studio? It runs like a dog on both Fusion and Parallels.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    That should serve them right at parallels,

http://vmware.com/go/unparalleled

Upgrade from any version of fusion AND parallels to fusion 3.1 for $9.99
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Is it any good? This article could have been written by the Parallels PR department.

Don't forget that on top of that price you also need to buy a licence for Windows 7. Does it work with all versions of Windows 7 or have you got to buy the most expensive version?

I hope its easier to use than their website - confusing as hell and keeps falling over today.

I use the Home version of windows just fine.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Their main page is really slllloooowwwwww right now. At least their download server is quick, once you can get to it.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

FOURTH MAJOR story about this "app" in less than a week. AppleInsider is covering this story like they're in Parallels' pocket.

The links in the story don't go directly to Parallels, they go to a click counter which then forwards you to Parallels. I wonder if user information is compromised in the process...
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Am I the only one who thinks they are pricing this very unfairl? Higher than even the student edition for an update in less than year? What do these guys think? That we 'll be paying them $50 yearly as if they were a subscription service? No wonder they help you run ms programs with that kind of ms style pricing.

No, you're not the only one!

I think it's overpriced, especially for a product that becomes discounted over time. Parallels 5 has always been $79.99 but Amazon has been selling it for $39.00, same as the student price. I'm sure version 6 will be discounted after the initial excitement dies down.

I saw the link here for the 9.99 upgrade to fusion and think I will try that, not going to pay 49.99.

I don't need bells and whistles, just want the fastest VM program I can find!
  • Reply 28 of 41
    i thought parallels was about perfect around version 4, but has since turned in on itself and featured-bloated. 64-bit support sounds nice, but to be honest v5 ran like a dog in comparison to 4

no thanks, guys
  • Reply 29 of 41
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Some of us actually use this and find it very helpful, not to mention it is software FOR Macs ... so what's the problem?

Totally agree. Parallels is a vital piece of software for me, even though I use it maybe 10% of the time. This article explained the new features that were not in previous articles and gave me a much better idea of what the product is about.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i thought parallels was about perfect around version 4, but has since turned in on itself and featured-bloated. 64-bit support sounds nice, but to be honest v5 ran like a dog in comparison to 4

no thanks, guys

I've had the exact opposite experience. V5 has been the best performing version for me, and I've been using since inception.

Looking forward to six. I took advantage of the buy 5 at amazon for $40, get a $20 discount, and free upgrade to six option instead of paying the $40 upgrade. Also discovered that if I use one of my many v3 license keys, I get another $20 discount, meaning I upgraded to v6 for free (and got a printed manual in the deal). Not too shabby.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

The links in the story don't go directly to Parallels, they go to a click counter which then forwards you to Parallels. I wonder if user information is compromised in the process...

We've been marked! Our Windows will crash.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I've had the exact opposite experience. V5 has been the best performing version for me, and I've been using since inception.

Looking forward to six. I took advantage of the buy 5 at amazon for $40, get a $20 discount, and free upgrade to six option instead of paying the $40 upgrade. Also discovered that if I use one of my many v3 license keys, I get another $20 discount, meaning I upgraded to v6 for free (and got a printed manual in the deal). Not too shabby.

Yeah but it is shabby for people who paid $79 for the company to leave a right open window to buy 5 for 20 and then upgrade fro free, while they charge the update at $50, what do they want me to do, re-buy parallels to get a better price than upgrading? This is ridiculous...haven't they heard of torrents...
  • Reply 33 of 41
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Parallels is definitely pulling away from the competition.

Let's see who will be the first to support native graphics hardware when running virtual machines on Macs:

http://www.parallels.com/products/extreme/
  • Reply 34 of 41
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

I've been thinking about buying this too... but I don't have my Windows discs for my old laptop. Does anybody know if you can use Parallels without having the Windows discs?

Yes, you do need a Windas installer disc. I recently installed Parallels 5 + XP Pro SP3 and it flies! Can't imagine how P6 could be '41%' faster when the Windas VM in P5 already starts-up in 40 seconds flat (MBPro,4GB). Thankfully, the suck-fulness of Windas is minimised in the Parallels coherence mode and it's a good way of running that odd, but necessary, program that isn't supported on the Mac. (Chembio-Office Ultra in my case.)
  • Reply 35 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    If Parallels is faster that means it finally caught up to Fusion. Maybe even passed it a bit but who really knows as I am sure it depends on the task.

All I know is that their marketing campaign is suckering people in to pay a lot of $$ for a product upgrade that charges a vast amount more for upgrades compared to the competition.

They can charge what they want but they better offer more than just great marketing behind that inflated fee.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Does anyone have experience running games over Parallels. There are some games only available for the PC that I would love to run on my Mac. I have been considering both boot camp and parallels. Can anyone speak to this?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    If you, like me, got the advanced upgrade to 6 for existing users, a newer build is now available:

Build 6.0.11822

(Revision 604190; September 14, 2010)

From the 'Parallels Desktop' menu, click on 'Check For Updates'.

It downloads ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11822.604190.dmg from which you can install the update.

The previous was ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11820.602974.dmg
  • Reply 38 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I use this product every day, it's essential. On my iMac i5 it runs windows xp blazingly fast with 3gb ram, it's better than native for my uses.

But I'm very tired of paying $50 every 7 months. Very tired.

The only thing in this upgrade that looks interesting is the iPad app, but I already have iTeleport to do that, so...

I'm skipping the upgrade this time. I've bought every version since day 1 (was an original beta tester).

They have enough of my money.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

That should serve them right at parallels,

http://vmware.com/go/unparalleled

Upgrade from any version of fusion AND parallels to fusion 3.1 for $9.99

I had Parallels V5 and took advantage of the offer above and got Fusion 3.1 with 1 year of upgrades for 29.99. The transition was smooth and it runs quite a bit faster than Parallels on my mid 2010 MBP.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    The performance issue is an interesting one since people and companies bat it back and forth with all sorts of claims and justifications. The truth is that each of the two behave differently depending on what you use them for.

I run a full development environment along with databases so performance is definitely a must for me. When Fusion 3 was released I was hopeful for great performance improvements but when I did a testing of the two Parallels V5 was faster, used less disk space, and integrated better. At that time VMWare was playing a bit of a price game as well which all in all pushed me back to Parallels.

Now VMWare is pushing their performance under 3.1 and with a hit against Parallels that

Quote:

The nice folks over at Parallels talk about their many extra features like PC backup and PC partition management. We here on the VMware Fusion Team don't want to bring your PC experience over to the Mac; after all, that's why you left your PC behind.

What VMWare does not appear to get is that we would love to leave the PC behind but we can't, that is why we have purchased a VM! As such being able to manage those PC environments is vital to keeping them working.

With Parallels I am not happy with the price of upgrade either and that will play a role in my decision making. It would be most helpful if there were some real comparisons from independent sources published, rather than the little snippets that the companies release to us. I would like to see the full story with details on what was tested and how.