Apple seeks metal experts to craft devices from Liquidmetal

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    I have been using a similar material to refurbursh Shafts in machinery for years.... It is pretty cool stuff...
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

... I don't get it, the strength of metal is in it's crystalline structure, who can a non crystalline amorphous (no form literally) material be stronger????

It seems you are NOT yet ready to submit your resume for the position of "Manager of Amorphous Metal Development".

Then again, neither am I.

Anyone have a serious answer to his Q?
  • Reply 43 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    to be or not to be ??

to craft or not to craft ??

what makes liquid metal so important any way ?

• Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

what makes liquid metal so important any way ?

Because it's highly marketable like the Titanium Powerbook, yet it doesn't suck.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Because it's highly marketable like the Titanium Powerbook, yet it doesn't suck.

hey hey

my my

rock and roll will never die

NY
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Very, very cool. I hope that they advance the SOTA.

very very cool. been done before? this is the technology that apple can do some magic with were others failed.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

One quick note for those who may not have gotten it: the ball is not made out of LiquidMetal--the surface it is bouncing on is. All three balls are made from steel.

Use LiquidMetal for the balls too, and.... perpetual motion?.... Create a rift in spacetime?....
  • Reply 48 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Apple had a job posting for a carbon fiber manufacturing expert about a year ago. I wonder if they just gave up on the material. Or maybe they've decided that they need Liquidmetal enclosures with carbon fiber internal reinforcement?)

Probably too flexible for apple's target device thickness, and doesn't fit in the recyclability mandate. Carbon fiber can't be remelted, burning or burying it seems to be the only way to get rid of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Hopefully, this leads to a lighter iPad. Still "too heavy" in the hand after holding it for awhile. Liquid metal + a light composite material = under 1lb. That would be killer.

I suspect it is the batteries, though the screen doesn't help. I don't think there are 8 oz of aluminum in the iPad, though I could be wrong. Something to check into. Though liquid metal might help make it easier to hit a lower target weight. There is probably no reason to have composite in the chassis with the formability of liquid metal.