Nokia unveils N8 smartphone, chairman to leave in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    Symbian is outdated. As a camera and phone combo, the N8 is great. The sensor inside is much larger than other phones, 1/1.83″. Heck, most point and shoots have smaller 1/2.33" sensors. The sample pictures do look impressive for a phone.

N8 as feature phone fails. As a camera and phone combo it shines. Nokia does have a decent OS: Maemo or Meego. If the N8 had that, now that would be something.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Nokia has stated that S^3 supports Flash Lite 4.0, which is meant to support a heap of Flash 10.1 content.

Well, will it run the Nokia website and microsites without any problem? Battery life? I'd love to see someone test out Flash on the N8 thoroughly.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, will it run the Nokia website and microsites without any problem? Battery life? I'd love to see someone test out Flash on the N8 thoroughly.

How would I know, they haven't released it yet. Maybe you should ask Nokia, it is their phone, not mine.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Personally, I don't see how Android could catch up to the iPhone without a radical change in strategy.

Android Sales Overtake iPhone in the U.S.

http://gigaom.com/2010/08/02/android...ne-in-the-u-s/

Android sales surge, surpass iPhone

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/a...e-updated/2019
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

What for? They still sell a lot more smartphones that either Android or Apple.

In fact, they sell more than Android and Apple PUT TOGETHER.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I used to own a Nokia N95, which had Flash Lite pre-installed on it. The battery drain was minimal since it only ate up CPU cycles when I was actively browsing the web.

The battery life argument against Flash on mobiles is as stupid as DED's argument against GPS on the same grounds. The amount of time it's used vs. the amount of time the phone spends on standby is minimal. There's far bigger drains on power, such as WiFi and Bluetooth.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And paperclips outsell iPhones a billion to one, but I?d rather be part of the company that makes the money from their sales.

But we are not part of any of these companies. We are consumers.

I'd rather be a consumer of a company which makes products I like. As a consumer, rather than as "part of a company", profits are irrelevant.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

. The smartphone OS market seems to be consolidating much like the PC market did,

Not yet it is not.

Symbian 3 and Windows 7 are just making their appearances, and it is WAY too soon to count WebOS out.

If anything, the smartphone OS market seems to be blowing wide open.

Look at this:

I see no signs of consolidation.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:

Personally, I don't see how Android could catch up to the iPhone without a radical change in strategy. They at least need to focus more on developers, because the tools are much more limited then the iPhone. They implemented what was easy and now feel like they have stalled out.

Nokia can at least focus Symbian and QT on their medium to low end phones targeted to users that have no (or little) interest in apps. I am really curious what would happen if Apple were to enter the low end phone market.

As Newtron showed, Android marketshare in the US is growing fast, although much of that has to do with the iPhone being AT&T-exclusive. Also, Android marketshare is growing quite quickly worldwide, even in some multicarrier iPhone markets.

Quote:

The only advantage I see to Android is that some developers (or clients commissioning apps) want to target it at a loss (with a more limited version usually) because it is the only non-Apple platform that feels like it may have some kind of future success because it is multi-vendor.

The only two multivendor solutions I see are Android and Windows Phone 7. I doubt HP will license WebOS, and RIM will never license BlackBerry.

Quote:

It’s simple, but I’ll use bullet points to try to make it very clear because at this point there aren’t many viable options for Nokia…
    • Nokia has extensive handset knowledge.

• Nokia has a very strong support for their products (when they are building decent products), much like Apple.

• Nokia’s largest flaw is their OS.

• Nokia can spend years trying to make their own modern, Linux-based mobile OS while losing even more marketshare and potentially losing any real smartphone business and name or they take the free Android as their base and button it up in way that Verizon, Sprint, Moto or HTC could come close to making their Nokia phones the best Android-bsed phones on the market.

And they don’t even have to market it as Android, because they are getting is that modern foundation to create a platform that is uniquely Nokia, with Nokia’s DNA, and Nokia expertise.

Only one problem: Patent lawsuits.

Let me explain: Nokia has refused to put OGG Vorbis and Theora support in its phones, because they fear that someday, a patent pool may sue them for doing so. No one has sued anyone on OGG patent infringement, and yet there's enough concern in the industry for Nokia and Apple, among other companies, to avoid OGG completely.

Meanwhile, there is a lawsuit on Android -- a big one. Oracle's suing Google for breaking Java patents. For all Nokia knows, if Oracle wins, then they may start suing every single Android phone maker, looking for severe penalties on every single Android phone they ever sold. Why would Nokia shun a technology that has never had a deep patent infringement lawsuit, and then embrace another technology that does have a patent suit out there in the open? It makes no sense.

So that leaves Windows Phone 7. It has first-class enterprise features, including best-in-class Office support, which can really help Nokia sell phones to businesses. In time, WP7 will have multitasking and other rather important consumer features found in other smartphone platforms. In the meantime, Microsoft is focusing on encouraging app development, understanding that the mobile age is all about the quantity and quality of the app marketplace. Also, with Nokia's expertise in mobile OS development, they could help Microsoft develop WP7 faster than Microsoft otherwise could. A Microsoft-Nokia partnership is a very smart idea.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Who cares! This is just 1 in like 500 different cell phones that Nokia puts out every year. that is their business model. GLUTTING UP THE MARKET with sh**! I bet they fill up land fills faster than a small nation with unsold cell phones.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Nokia's selection of a new CEO, who is Canadian and has worked in US Enterprise high tech for decades, is a clear signal that they are more looking to take down RIM and other enterprise-driven smartphone sales than compete directly with consumer-driven outfits like iPhone and Android. I say good luck. Nokia phones are much nicer than Blackberries, so no real loss if you ask me.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Who cares! This is just 1 in like 500 different cell phones that Nokia puts out every year. that is their business model. GLUTTING UP THE MARKET with sh**!

That doesn't appear to be Nokia's business model today. We've been told that there will only be one MeeGo handset this year and the rest of Nokia's range has been reduced from a four-digit naming scheme to a single-digit scheme.

Quote:

I bet they fill up land fills faster than a small nation with unsold cell phones.

Most countries are big on phone recycling these days and Nokia are consistently ranked as the greenest technology company around.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Most countries are big on phone recycling these days and Nokia are consistently ranked as the greenest technology company around.

The Sony Ericsson J10 Elm was recently named the greenest phone on the market. It's also, quite simply, a really nice phone for the price.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But we are not part of any of these companies. We are consumers.

I'd rather be a consumer of a company which makes products I like. As a consumer, rather than as "part of a company", profits are irrelevant.

1) Why would you, as a consumer, care of Nokia sold 1M units of 100M units? You shouldn’t so your argument is a lame duck as usual.

2) Nokia is a company, so to claim that Nokia cares about the number of units sold over the total net profit is silly on the face of it. All companies are looking at profits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Let me explain: Nokia has refused to put OGG Vorbis and Theora support in its phones, because they fear that someday, a patent pool may sue them for doing so. No one has sued anyone on OGG patent infringement, and yet there's enough concern in the industry for Nokia and Apple, among other companies, to avoid OGG completely.

Meanwhile, there is a lawsuit on Android -- a big one. Oracle's suing Google for breaking Java patents. For all Nokia knows, if Oracle wins, then they may start suing every single Android phone maker, looking for severe penalties on every single Android phone they ever sold. Why would Nokia shun a technology that has never had a deep patent infringement lawsuit, and then embrace another technology that does have a patent suit out there in the open? It makes no sense.

So that leaves Windows Phone 7. It has first-class enterprise features, including best-in-class Office support, which can really help Nokia sell phones to businesses. In time, WP7 will have multitasking and other rather important consumer features found in other smartphone platforms. In the meantime, Microsoft is focusing on encouraging app development, understanding that the mobile age is all about the quantity and quality of the app marketplace. Also, with Nokia's expertise in mobile OS development, they could help Microsoft develop WP7 faster than Microsoft otherwise could. A Microsoft-Nokia partnership is a very smart idea.

I agree that fear of a lawsuit can be a huge deterrent.

I noticed that you didn’t mention Palm. While it’s a moot point now over a year ago I suggested Nokia could buy Palm for WebOS. Of course, that has its own set of hurdles for Nokia and simply may not work with their long term goals. Or maybe they did bid on Palm and lost.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Is there no picture for this thing available yet? Would have liked to see what it looks like.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Who cares!

Best Buy, Amazon, MacMall, NewEgg, millions of consumers, and most of all, every cell carrier worldwide.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:

I noticed that you didn’t mention Palm. While it’s a moot point now over a year ago I suggested Nokia could buy Palm for WebOS. Of course, that has its own set of hurdles for Nokia and simply may not work with their long term goals. Or maybe they did bid on Palm and lost.

I thought about mentioning Palm, although I didn't want to mention more than two companies who I think will never license their OS. I'll admit that I think Palm will become irrelevant, but not because of the HP acquisition.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Is there no picture for this thing available yet? Would have liked to see what it looks like.

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N8
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

• Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:

1) Why would you, as a consumer, care of Nokia sold 1M units of 100M units? You shouldn?t so your argument is a lame duck as usual.

Because as a consumer, I care about the ecosystem. For example, Nokia accessories are available pretty much anywhere, including airport gift shops. Same with iPhone stuff.

There are times I buy stuff not because it is better, but instead, because it is more popular. For example, my kid needed to update his MP3 player, and he wanted a Touch. It was an excellent choice because of the ecosystem, among other factors.

Other times I buy stuff that is better for me, despite unpopularity in the market as a whole. But for that kind of stuff, I forgo the ecosystem.

So to answer your question, yes, if a product is 2 orders of magnitude more popular than some other choice, I take that into consideration.

And you may want to familiarize yourself with the meaning of "lame duck" before you use the phrase again. Your choice.

Quote:

2) Nokia is a company, so to claim that Nokia cares about the number of units sold over the total net profit is silly on the face of it. All companies are looking at profits.

While you're at it, look up "false dichotomy". Or don't.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:

Is the left side of the body concave? Is that a problem for lefties?