First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 for iPad and iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by

iAd

Apple's iAd interactive advertisements will also begin appearing in iPad applications after the release of iOS 4.2. iAds offer an "app within an app," allowing advertisers to deliver content to users without forcing them to open a browser and leave their current application. With the iOS 4.2 beta, developers can now begin working to integrate iAds into their iPad software in time for its November release.

[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Hopefully APPLE can do this IAD without losing the integrity of the content of the actual APP being viewed. As we all know once these Apps become annoying we all walk away, slowly but surely.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VulpesRex View Post

Oh, you mean the current cameraless iPad? Yeah, I can certainly see how current iPad owners will find a physical mute button useful for FaceTime...

The physical switch should be user-configurable. That way everyone is happy.

Oh, I guess that you've decided that the iPad is what it is... And will never be enhanced-- then, of course, you're right.

• Reply 43 of 83
    Quick access to brightness controls is AWESOME.

Can anyone confirm if the lowest brightness setting is much lower than currently? That would be essential, right now it's way too bright even on the lowest setting if you are in a dark room. If anyone can report back on 4.2 that would be great.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

We Apple fans are a strange bunch.\

It can be really bizarre, sometimes. And yet I am still hooked on these forums. I rarely Facebook and don't Twitter nowadays or follow many other forums.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Quick access to brightness controls is AWESOME.

Can anyone confirm if the lowest brightness setting is much lower than currently? That would be essential, right now it's way too bright even on the lowest setting if you are in a dark room. If anyone can report back on 4.2 that would be great.

seems about the same...

• Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VulpesRex View Post

Oh, you mean the current cameraless iPad? Yeah, I can certainly see how current iPad owners will find a physical mute button useful for FaceTime...

The physical switch should be user-configurable. That way everyone is happy.

How about pushing the button once for mute, twice for screen lock.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Anyone know where I could get those iPad backgrounds? Are they included in 4.2?
  • Reply 48 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New Notes Preferences

Like iOS 4.2 for the iPhone, Apple has added a Notes preference pane that lets users choose between Chalkboard, Helvetica, and Marker Felt for their notes fonts. It also lets users set a default email account to which new notes can be tied.[/url][/c]

This is waayy overdue, I hate the current Notes font - to me it's difficult to read. Thank goodness I will be able to use a more legible sans-serif Helvetica font. Clean sans-serifs are easier to read on computers and mobile devices than these more fancy fonts. Surprised since it's Apple they didn't also add the Geneva font, but it is a wider font.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

The 4.2 preview page said there were new keyboards. Is software Dvorak one of them?

English Software Layouts:

QWERTY

AZERTY

QWERTZ

English Hardware Layouts:

U.S.

Dvorak

U.S. International - PC

U.S. Extended

British

French

German

Spanish - ISO

Italian - Pro

Dutch

Belgian

Don't ask me why the other languages appear under English hardware layouts. I don't know.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Apple should offer orientation lock for BOTH horizontal and vertical.

Also, the entire iPhone interface should do video out when connected with the cables...
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Yes, THIS! But iPhone 3GS too!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I really hope AirPlay will let me stream music from my iPhone 4 to my airport express.

• Reply 52 of 83
    How do you type that (R) symbol? Obviously, how to do that is the the first thing that comes to mind when I type a name like Apple(R).

Apple is overriding the iPad's lock button to make it a volume mute button? By Apple (R)'s own app store rules, changing the functionality of buttons is not allowed, so they'll have to ban distribution of iOS (Registered trademark used under license) 4.2 from Apple (R).
  • Reply 53 of 83
    on the 2nd gen ipod touch you could configure the double click function of the home button... Apple should let us choose to have orientation or mute switch.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's getting a bit complicated now, the iPad, with that multitasking bar. You can't just use it intuitively any more, without getting technical. Which is bad.

I like that they made background tasks mostly be Apple daemons, that was smart, from a battery use point of view. But the GUI side of the multi-tasking needs someone to go on acid and come up with something completely new, because what they did sucks.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Anyone know where I can find the 2 cool wallpapers in the screenshots?
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Hmmmm for the first time I'm actually offended :-(...

I don't consider myself old or handicapped, BUT I AM LONG SIGHTED, which means options for bigger fonts are very welcome. You can't wear reading glasses if you are walking along the pavement (sidewalk)....
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is a fantastic improvement. Until today, a developer needed at least 2 different SDKs-- one for the iPad (3.2) and another for all the iPhones and iPod Touches.

Now, finally we have a single SDK that can be used for development and deploy on any iDevice.

Er... what? The iOS 3.2 SDK supported both iPhone and iPad, as does the latest 4.1 SDK.

You've only ever needed one copy of the XCode tools to build apps for either iPhone or iPad or both.

The beta unifies the OS version number for the two devices, and makes some of the iOS4.x API functions available for the iPad, but otherwise it makes little or no difference to developers.

If you've been building your iPad apps with a different copy of XCode to the one you use for building iPhone/iPod apps, you probably need to re-read the documentation.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Yes, THIS! But iPhone 3GS too!!!

my iPad is able to see my airport express and stream music to it. I've wanted this feature since my 1st gen iPod touch.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    I am not going to argue anymore with other apple users about whether the orientation lock should become software based. It's beyond me to argue about adding pretty much redundant functionality to one of the three buttons, replacing the very much needed functionality of the lock with a cumbersome software way to do it(two click, one swipe, another click), when one of the three buttons already functions as a mute button.

There might be some nay-sayers here but in these forums as well as elsewhere the response has been overwhelminly negative.

I would suggest if people can spend a couple of minutes to leave feedback to apple. Copy paste my post if you want.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Hi all. I registered just to reply to this thread about IOS4.2, because frankly I'm kind of amazed at the reactions here to an OS update everyone is so excited about. First let me say, I love my iPad, it's an excellent and revolutionary device, and I'm sure it's going to evolve in great ways over time.

How can some of you be so excited about this light set of updates? I mean seriously, excitement over turning a lock button into a mute button? Seriously? Working the volume is just fine as it is, hold it for a second and voila, it's muted. This has never been an issue I'd have thought warrants an update, nevermind discussion.

Where is the innovation in this upcoming update?

I just docked my iPod Touch after *gasp*, leaving it on the table overnight. I don't recall leaving anything running, but I guess I forgot to check the multitasking list because the iPod is 100% dead. Before multitasking was added to the OS, I could go for days without charging, now that's impossible unless I ruthlessly check what apps have decided to stay open due to me not babysitting it. Multitasking? I could honestly do without it, and I don't look forward to it landing on the iPad. Maybe allowing that mute button to function as a "do not multitask" button would be better, at least for me.

I'm waiting for what seems will be an eternity, for Apple to start supporting web based rich text editing. I'm not in a minority either, just google "ipad rich text editor" and you'll see there are thousands of bloggers who can't edit content through a web browser on their iPad (or iphone/pod). TinyMCE is a popular editor framework used in all kinds of web based blog forms, and I rarely hear Apple commenting on allowing this to work. What's up with that? The biggest feature I crave using on the iPad and not even a though about it? But again, we have the mute button.

Back to 4.2 again. I noticed people seem excited that there are now a few more fonts to pick from in iNotes, so we can change over from Comic Sans to Helvetica. And this is exciting how? Seriously, raise the bar a bit here folks, gushing over having a few fonts added is kind of funny.

What about uploading images or files using a web based file upload control? The lack of support on iDevices reminds me of when Microsoft removed ActiveX from Vista (sorry for such a disgusting comparison folks ), but as it stands, without a third party app (tweetdeck via tinypic, facebook iPhone app, FTP programs), I have absolutely no way to simply upload a file to my own web site. Isn't uploading files a kind of popular function to today's somewhat tech-savvy "interweb" users?

Anyways, I didn't come here to vent, I just wanted to point out how happy Apple fans seem getting these itsy bitsy updates, and that there are some glaring gaps in what the iDevices currently do. Allowing us to change font sizes for reading email? Great, but not revolutionary, more like a shoulda-been-there. More font choices? Great, but again, should-been-there already.

But the mute button? Come on, give Apple some useful feedback to work with instead of being so easily appeased. I don't use that slider either to lock the screen, nor will I for muting. It's just no big deal. I need enhancements that allow me to get more work done.