Mysterious 'iProd2' reference in iOS is new Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What nonsense is this fool writing. And i don't mean you.

What exactly are you writing? (And I do mean you).
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I don't understand why anybody with cable TV and a DVR would want to buy an Apple TV. DVRs can be programmed to record your favorite shows for future viewing. Renting shows for 99 cents seems high to me compared to my local video store. I can walk one block from my house and get DVD movies for $1 per night. There is a Red Box DVD rental outlet in the store next door to the video store.

For those of us who don't watch a ton of TV, the point would be to drop the TV service. Comcast is up to something like $60/month in my area, not to mention the extra $15/month for TiVo. Considering I only watch 3-4 shows a week if that, this might be a good product and would save me $40 a month. My problem is I don't have a TV I could hook it up to.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

What I don't get about the new AppleTV is... why doesn't it run apps?

The original iPhone didn't have apps for 12 months. I do think the ATV will get an SDK in the near future but Apple is juggling a lot of balls. From everything we know the OS team(s) are surprisingly small and Apple doesn't hire any random qualified bozos off the street either. Any expansion of those teams is probably very gradual. I'd bet this is a pretty good guess for an iOS development timeline:

2010:

Q1-Q2: iOS4 development, iPad OS 3.2 and the iPad SDK. (they didn't want to wait till June to launch the iPad so it had to use a train of 3.x)

Q3: ATV localization of iOS 4. Seeds of the ATV SDK being developed in parallel / re-unification of iOS 4 for iPad/iPhone

Q4: Work starts on iOS 5, x86 OSX

2011:

Q1/Q2: Unified iOS 5 for iPhone/iPad. Apple TV SDK.

Q3/Q4: Final push for next x86 OSX.

Total speculation though I admit.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I'm not sure I understand the problem. People who don't have the bandwidth can simply stream existing content from a computer. That's what I plan on doing. I'll be purchasing a mini server, and storing my 3TB of content on my drobo. I'll simply stream everything from the mini to the apple tv.

Ha i do that with my mac mini server to my apple tv, was thinking of getting a new apple tv ...But nope ...why? I will just buy a mac mini with built in drive "as it has a HDMI" and use that in my bedroom ...1- it will stream from the mac mini server and 2-access the external drive connected to the Time Capsule plus I can still "Buy" movies if I dont want to just rent "I think this is the better route right now because it just does more -just my 2
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I hope someone jailbreaks and gets boxee on it
  • Reply 26 of 26
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sincere View Post

Ha i do that with my mac mini server to my apple tv, was thinking of getting a new apple tv ...But nope ...why? I will just buy a mac mini with built in drive "as it has a HDMI" and use that in my bedroom ...1- it will stream from the mac mini server and 2-access the external drive connected to the Time Capsule plus I can still "Buy" movies if I dont want to just rent "I think this is the better route right now because it just does more -just my 2

Not a great option;

- FrontRow on the Mac Mini is a weak 10ft UI. Not even close to ATV3 software (unless there's a hack I don't know of)

- You have another machine's local storage to manage

- Mac Mini is 7x more expensive!!

It's a bit strange that the new ATV doesn't allow purchase/sync to the master iTunes library if available - maybe it will? Or maybe they'll allow ATV3 software to replace FrontRow for Macs (FrontRow3? free update?). Lets face it, there's not price conflict & if they add WiFi internet/storage sharing & internet set-up from ATV3 with is as the boot-default on Mac Mini's that'd be a real offering.

McD