Best Buy CEO says Apple's iPad has halved some notebook sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

The Apple table was crowded. The laptop/netbook display was empty with 5 staffers shooting the breeze. The iPad has decimated notebook sales. It must be terrifying for manufacturers to see inventory just pile up in the supply chain.

they must be selling to someone but i find it odd that when i go to starbucks i have not seen a single ipad since they came out. in fact i was in one large starbucks and looked around and there were about 12 laptops being used. 1 was a mac the rest looked to be hp's and dell's. most looked like full size laptops not many were netbooks that i could make out. could have been the part of town i was in just wasn't 'hip'
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Really that is stunning relative to the prognostications by most pundits before the iPad shipped. To go from some estimates as low as 1mil units for CY2010 to affecting an entire segment (netbooks) and now retailers reporting as much as 50% loss in general notebooks sales (which I assume is including netbooks) is pretty much unheard of. Really, has one company done more with essentially a "single innovation" (multi-touch only interface) than Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk View Post

Autumn 2010 : Apple announces quarterly results which show a 50 Billion $ ....

The Justice Dept will slice Apple into several pieces long before that would ever happen. Probably four companies:

hardware (Macs)

entertainment (iTunes Store, ATV)

mobile devices (iPhone, iPad)

software (Filemaker, FCP)

Microsoft is still in trouble though...
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

they must be selling to someone but i find it odd that when i go to starbucks i have not seen a single ipad since they came out. in fact i was in one large starbucks and looked around and there were about 12 laptops being used. 1 was a mac the rest looked to be hp's and dell's. most looked like full size laptops not many were netbooks that i could make out. could have been the part of town i was in just wasn't 'hip'

Around here it's different, the majority of laptops I see tend to be Macbooks, then netbooks (all makes), then Dell lappies and HP lappies. I have seen a smattering of ipads and the frequency appears to be increasing, though slowly. However, this makes sense, your talking about years of notebook/netbook purchases vs only months of supply constrained ipad purchases. Plus I bet a lot of ipads never/rarely make it out of the house, I know ours doesn't as it has become the defacto "home computer" so it gets pretty risky to take it out for fear of angering the wife or kids. I suspect a year from now the number of "pad/slate" sightings at your local caffeine establishment will increase significantly.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:

Mac and iPad popularity definitely varies by market. I've observed the inverse situation in Austin TX or San Francisco - it's actually becoming rare to see a PC laptop there. In Boston and NY it's 50% or close to it - and many PCs have Apple stickers on 'em
  • Reply 26 of 57
    May be not that credible estimate
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Otherwise I'd maybe agree, but saving money? With an iPad vs. Netbook?

If we talk about a trasition to tablets in general. Maybe, when competing and cheaper tablets come into play. Majority will likely buy cheaper comparable tablets, which fill their needs well enough (people tend to be cheap in general). Kind of like Macbooks vs. other notebooks.

Regs, Jarkko

The AI article refers to notebooks and not to netbooks. And I guess most notebooks sell for more then 600$. But tell me if I am wrong, since I rarely look at notebook prices other than macbooks.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

The Justice Dept will slice Apple into several pieces long before that would ever happen. Probably four companies:

hardware (Macs)

AAh don't be so realistic. Let us dream a little. In a world battered with crime and wars people need some things to dream about. Anyway, I don't think anybody wants apple to be without any competition.

BTW I haven't heard the outcry "APPLE IS DOOMED" yet, so it's me this time:

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!

APPLE IS DOOMED!!

THEY WILL FAIL!!
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

hardware (Macs)

Unlikely. Microsoft got off scot free despite a practical monopoly in OSes and office software. If anything, the Justice department is probably cheering for Apple's vertically integrated model, because it limits the damage they can do to the market unlike a horizontally integrated model like Microsoft, which sticks its fingers into Windows, Office, XBox, Zune, Windows 7 Phone, and more. Even Exxon Mobile has committed far worse crimes against humanity (and not just because it was making a boatload of money, as you seem to imply), yet the "Justice" department has done nothing.

Good thing Microsoft is incompetent, otherwise we would be seeing no Apple at all today, and where would we would be without the iPhone to show others how interface design should be?
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk View Post

2020 : Steve Jobs is elected president of the United States (but insists

for its salary to be one dollar / year only

I was laughing up to this point, but I doubt anyone can do a good job as President nowadays with Congress so heavily divided on even simple issues such as saving jobs. Republicans don't want to agree with Democrats, and Democrats are pushing for economic stimulus packages. So there's deadlock.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

so true. i think these companies holding back on new netbooks are just plain stupid. i will take a modern netbook right now over an ipad but not one of these old model netbooks. not saying that as the ipad is 'bad' just that it doesn't do quite enough and i would like a small device like a netbook with the latest processor in it and better battery life.

Check out the Dell mini 10. All day battery, hot-shit processor, wireless n. You can even get a TV tuner built in, and a huge hard drive for watching movies on the go. It plays Flash and every other streaming video format without any problems.

It has much expanded capabilities over any iPad, and it starts at half the price (without the TV tuner).
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Unlikely. ...

... the Justice department is probably cheering for Apple...

Unlikely.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I was laughing up to this point, but I doubt anyone can do a good job as President nowadays with Congress so heavily divided on even simple issues such as saving jobs. Republicans don't want to agree with Democrats, and Democrats are pushing for economic stimulus packages. So there's deadlock.

Maybe the congress could be changed into something as efficient as the appstore.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    This was absolutely expected. There was a gap in the market, and Apple filled it. People who don't need the robust functionality of a laptop can now buy an ipad, whereas before, they would have just bought the laptop.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    *hugs iPad*
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Check out the Dell mini 10. All day battery, hot-shit processor, wireless n. You can even get a TV tuner built in, and a huge hard drive for watching movies on the go. It plays Flash and every other streaming video format without any problems.

It has much expanded capabilities over any iPad, and it starts at half the price (without the TV tuner).

I can't find the tv tuner option, and the hole-shit processor I saw on it is the standard atom processor in pretty much all netbooks.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    It's already a Revolution, and it just begun.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

*hugs iPad*

I really like my iPad, but so far it never came to my mind as to hug it. But yeah lovely picture. Wish you two good luck.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Hmmm... Salesman, are you?
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I can't find the tv tuner option, and the hole-shit processor I saw on it is the standard atom processor in pretty much all netbooks.

its not a bad netbook but i am holding out for N550 dual core atom 2+ram and 12" screen. dell has a neat little mz101 something or other with athlon neo but the battery life is not so hot.