Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchase

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

... There is also the "whatever Steve Jobs thinks is best" camp which I refuse to join. ...

It's kind of interesting this SJ obsession that the anti-Apple camp has. It's like they somehow feel personally oppressed or threatened by him. And not just trolls like Blackintosh. How often in, for example, the Flash discussions do we get the, "You only hate Flash because SJ tells you to," comment? They seem to attach even more weight to his words and actions than most Apple fans do. I don't really understand it, but whatever is going on with these people, I'm sure it's not healthy.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Wow, $1000 for a monitor? It does look totally fabulous...but a grand plus tax is a lot to be spending on a display...

I like the glossy screen on my MacBook Pro, for the most part. I have no problems with it in the sun: I just turn up the brightness to the max and the display is still visible. The reflection does bother me though...
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bruin View Post

Wow, $1000 for a monitor? It does look totally fabulous...but a grand plus tax is a lot to be spending on a display...

I like the glossy screen on my MacBook Pro, for the most part. I have no problems with it in the sun: I just turn up the brightness to the max and the display is still visible. The reflection does bother me though...

Best post of the day.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    [QUOTE=anonymouse;1716436 I don't really understand it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and that's the problem.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You do have a choice, lots of people make monitors, buy one of theirs instead. Why would anyone buy a device they didn't want? Most odd thinking you have there.

The main reason I wish Apple had a matte option is this:

Someday my iMac is going to break. I like the all in one form factor, but I don't want a glossy monitor. Which means if I want to replace my iMac with another Apple product, I'll have to go with a Mac Pro which I really don't need for what I do. And then I'll have to spend extra on a monitor from another company.

Steve Job's decision to go glossy locks me out of the iMac form factor and that is a shame. That's all.

Is it really so odd? Really? Can your superior mind find any understanding here? Are you willing to acknowledge that there may be some people in the world that feel differently than you? Maybe just a few? Maybe??
  • Reply 46 of 68
    No matte screen, no Firewire, no buy!
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Maybe it has more to do with UK import tarrifs than Apple mark-up.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Would a video professional notice the difference in the refresh rate comparing Apples's 12 ms to those displays at 5 or 6 ms? Or are these numbers just another sales ploy?
  • Reply 49 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Maybe it has more to do with UK import tarrifs than Apple mark-up.

I've spent some time in London and what I noticed was that regardless of what the exchange rate was between the pound and the dollar that prices there were roughly equivalent to what they were in the US, except for swapping the currency sign. Meaning that if an item costs $100 in the US, that same item tended to cost about £100 give or take. If something cost $10 in the US, it was about £10 in London. Granted London isn't the cheapest city in the UK, but the prices did seem to correlate. For an American traveling in that city, prices were dreadfully high for everything. Something besides the 18% VAT was accounting for the big discrepancies in prices.

So I'm actually surprised the price of this monitor is £899. I would have expected it to be £999. Now I've never priced Apple equipment in the UK as my stays were only visits, but it's just an observation on the relative level of prices.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tobybrut View Post

I've spent some time in London and what I noticed was that regardless of what the exchange rate was between the pound and the dollar that prices there were roughly equivalent to what they were in the US, except for swapping the currency sign. Meaning that if an item costs $100 in the US, that same item tended to cost about £100 give or take. If something cost $10 in the US, it was about £10 in London. Granted London isn't the cheapest city in the UK, but the prices did seem to correlate. For an American traveling in that city, prices were dreadfully high for everything. Something besides the 18% VAT was accounting for the big discrepancies in prices.

So I'm actually surprised the price of this monitor is £899. I would have expected it to be £999. Now I've never priced Apple equipment in the UK as my stays were only visits, but it's just an observation on the relative level of prices.

Some Apple products have almost 0% increase over the prices in the US, others, for example the TV are extortionate in terms of the price.

From what I can tell from the other computer related items I have bought within the UK only Apple tends to have a large price discrepancy, some items are slightly cheaper here.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

That's simply not true. Add VAT, use the commercial (not consumer) exchange rate and allow 5 - 10% import duty and the price difference is negligible.

Why are you listing commerical exchange rate as a reason for the price to be higher? Commerical rates are better, the price would then be lower than comparing to cash exchange rates
  • Reply 52 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Bloody hell, £899 for us brits for the many Americans on the forum that's only $1407 (Inc Tax/Vat). I know Apple put's a mark up on it's overseas operation but this is wrong!

True, but yours comes with free healthcare.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:

Can't justify a new one while this one still works.

Try smacking yourself over the head with it. This would solve two known problems for you.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Try smacking yourself over the head with it. This would solve two known problems for you.

I tried but the damn thing won't break!
  • Reply 55 of 68
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Actually there is a third camp. It's called the "For a thousand dollars, how about giving me a choice" camp.

You do have a choice - buy a monitor from someone other than Apple!

Sheesh, talk about making a freaking mountain out of a molehill

Your in the minority. Apple does't make all products for all people.

• Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

You do have a choice - buy a monitor from someone other than Apple!

Sheesh, talk about making a freaking mountain out of a molehill

Your in the minority. Apple does't make all products for all people.

As a shareholder I don't like to hear talk like that. I want Apple to sell tons of monitors and make money for you and me and themselves. There is nothing wrong with consumers having a choice of a matte option if they are expected to pay a thousand bucks.

Your post betrays your anger. Why are you angry at me? All I want is for everyone to get the monitor they like. Why in the world would you have a problem with this? I suggest you take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You may not like what you see.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:

Sounds like he lives in the real world. Come on Apple heads! A thousand bucks for a monitor??

Dell's is the exact same price. Quit whining.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bruin View Post

Dell. Same price. Same panel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

No matte screen, no Firewire, no buy!

Too bad that Apple hasn't sold a display with FireWire since 2003. Either buy a used 20", 23", or 30" or quit whining. You should have purchased a 30" when they were still in the store.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;1716039]We... don't do that here. We're not children.

:

your not serious are you. Appleinsider serving up adult dialogue... give me a break its a rumor site.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    I still don't get why they can't offer 24'' and 27'' LED cinema displays.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:

As a shareholder...

Shareholder? Yeah, right.