Content subscriptions for Apple's iPad could debut in 1-2 months

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's anticipated standalone digital newsstand application, which is expected to offer subscriptions to newspapers and magazines on the iPad, could debut as soon as in the next few months, according to The Wall Street Journal.

On Monday, the Journal reported that Apple, in recent weeks, has pushed hard to court publishers for its planned magazine and newspaper offering for the iPad. Sources reportedly that a print subscription offering could debut in the next month or two.

However, one person indicated that Apple is still working on the product and may wait until next year to formally introduce it. If Apple does wait, it is likely that the service would be unveiled alongside a next-generation iPad.

The report also added support to the rumor, first reported last week, that the digital newsstand apparently in the works from Apple will be a standalone application, much like the iBooks store for iOS devices. The new store will apparently be focused on selling subscriptions, rather than single issues of print publications.

In addition, last week another report indicated that Apple is poised to announce new subscription plans for publications on the iPad. It is rumored that such a product would include a revenue sharing model similar to the one used for selling software on the App Store.

But the Journal said that Apple's subscription service would not allow publishers "easy access" to customers' names and other personal information. That has apparently been a major sticking point for newspaper executives, who rely on customer data to sell advertising.

It also said that publishers are concerned about the 30 percent cut Apple would take, as it does on all App Store sales.

"At present, Apple typically doesn't sell subscriptions, instead offering monthly iPad editions of Wired magazine for $3.99 each, or a daily edition of Gannett Co.'s USA Today free," the report said. "Subscriptions, however, are a much more important business for U.S. publishers, representing seven of every 10 newspapers and magazines sold. Publishers also mine subscriber rolls for names, email addresses, credit-card numbers and other information to help them attract advertisers and target new offers to readers."

Authors Shira Ovide and Yukari Iwatani Kane said that Apple has had talks with some publishers, including Time Inc., Conde Nast, News Corp., and Hearst Corp. But, it said, it "isn't clear" whether those publishers have agreed to Apple's terms.

"Some publishers say the ability to peddle their wares to the 160 million Apple account holders outweigh any loss of control in working with Apple," the report said. "Some print-company executives who have spoken with Apple also say the company is open to finding ways to share names or other useful information about buyers of print titles on the iPad."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's anticipated standalone digital newsstand application, which is expected to offer subscriptions to newspapers and magazines on the iPad, could debut as soon as in the next few months, according to The Wall Street Journal.

As soon as the next few months? That's a little vague even for a rumor, isn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    If it's ready in 1-2 months then they shouldn't have to wait til next year's iPad. That's about six months wait. If they have this kind of subscription offering it could persuade some people to buy an iPad in time for the holidays.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I hope publishers/Apple include at least two features: (i) Pinch-to-zoom; (ii) Comments.

O/w, these will never compete with the web versions.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

As soon as the next few months? That's a little vague even for a rumor, isn't it?

That's a tad dense, even for you. Read the headline.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    With 4.2

In November
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellaclose View Post

With 4.2

In November

You could be right.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On Monday, the Journal reported that Apple, in recent weeks, has pushed hard to court publishers for its planned magazine and newspaper offering for the iPad.

Not surprising.

In another thread, however, the opinion was expressed that Apple doesn't really care about expanding this potential revenue base. In this article, however, AI reports that to the contrary, Apple is pushing hard to court media companies as potential lucrative customers.

Given the pre-release hoopla about Apple saving the publishing industry, I'm not surprised that Apple is continuing its uphill battle. It was predicted that subscription services of many types would be a boon to Apple, and that has not yet materialized.

I just hope that they haven't been counting these chickens before they hatched.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    All of this is moving in the right direction, but this is what I want from a subscription. I want the ability to purchase single issues at a price point that is similar to a brick and mortar newsstand. I do not want my information shared with the publisher when I buy a single issue.

I also want the ability to subscribe to a digital magazine/newspaper with a price that is competitive with the print version. While I expect this to replace my print version, it would be nice if the publisher could offer me a discount for purchasing both versions. I am willing to share some information with the publisher in exchange for the lower subscription price. I am only willing to share the same information that they currently get when I subscribe to the print edition. This is my name, address, email, etc. I would prefer not to share the credit card info, but I realize that this may be impossible. The digital version should mimic the print edition. Just like the print version, they can link to a website and it will leave the digital application and go to Safari. I want the digital edition to be portable enough to transfer to other family members. I am willing to sacrifice the ability of passing my copy along to others outside of my family, but I would want to print or email specific articles to friends.

Not sure if all this is possible, but it would be what I want.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I hope publishers/Apple include at least two features: (i) Pinch-to-zoom

Especially for the SI Swimsuit issue!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rabber View Post

All of this is moving in the right direction, but this is what I want from a subscription. I want the ability to purchase single issues at a price point that is similar to a brick and mortar newsstand. I do not want my information shared with the publisher when I buy a single issue.

I also want the ability to subscribe to a digital magazine/newspaper with a price that is competitive with the print version. While I expect this to replace my print version, it would be nice if the publisher could offer me a discount for purchasing both versions. I am willing to share some information with the publisher in exchange for the lower subscription price. I am only willing to share the same information that they currently get when I subscribe to the print edition. This is my name, address, email, etc. I would prefer not to share the credit card info, but I realize that this may be impossible. The digital version should mimic the print edition. Just like the print version, they can link to a website and it will leave the digital application and go to Safari. I want the digital edition to be portable enough to transfer to other family members. I am willing to sacrifice the ability of passing my copy along to others outside of my family, but I would want to print or email specific articles to friends.

Not sure if all this is possible, but it would be what I want.

I think I agree with all of this. I would like to replace my print subscriptions with something like this. But I occassionally lend a magazine to a friend so they can read an article I think they'd like. Actually, 2 of my current magazines are subscriptions I purchased after having borrowed issues or checked them out at the library before subscribing. So being able to print an article would be nice. (What could I possibly do with it that I couldn't do with a hardcopy of the mag?)
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's a tad dense, even for you. Read the headline.

Don't need to. I learn more reading the comments of you and your cohorts. You are, after all, the real experts on all things Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Most people hate having to give any kind of personal information, yet the publishers REALLY only need one piece of information: Your geographic location (i.e. City and State, no more). Anything else (Age, Gender, Name, etc) would only be bonuses for them, and really is starts to get really invasive at that point. Mind you, this is for those single purchases that I would like.

For the monthly subscription, the publishers have relied upon the information given for billing purposes (ya know, who sent in the check and whatnot) to give them the information they want from Apple.

The only way that I can see both sides coming together is something like this: Publisher A has X amount of advertisers that it wishes to utilize. They create the content with Y number of ad spaces. So far, this is nothing different than what happens in the real world. Apple is given understanding of what each ad is, and if there are certain areas in the publication for these "Smart Ads". By understanding, I am only talking about meta data requirements. This way, Apple can use its resources to determine which Ads get placed in there for the Smart Ads, and which Ads are statically assigned by the publisher.

The Publisher may not like this because they have no control over which ads gets placed in these spots, but really all they would be doing is the same thing; so really nothing is truly lost. Plus, Apple reports back to the publishers which Ads have been viewed and pressed (if applicable). Honestly, I think that this way the information the most people have issue about is kept secure, and Publishers get the added benefit of more targeted advertising.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Don't need to. I learn more reading the comments of you and your cohorts. You are, after all, the real experts on all things Apple.

Thank you.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I predicted this exact thing weeks ago, because this app is needed. It solves all the confusion and let's Apple control the UX, which only they can do. Apps like this are constantly fecked up, and we need an app that every user will have. Because it'll be so public and will likely be very polished and tightly integrated this will be a must have app.

Not to mention that magazines on the iPad are currently very messy, and very confusing, not to mention way to expensive.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Rabber and others have offered perfectly sensible models for publishers to aspire to. But it's a scary new world out there for them, and like the music industry before them, they dig in their heels when change comes.

When the pubsters wrap their heads around the paradigm shift they'll discover there's plenty of money to be made for all concerned. Instead of paying EBSCO they'll pay Apple. Content is content, it's the distribution model that is changing. They had a taste of this with the computer revolution, but now that tablet/touch computers are REALLY making it portable, the party is only now getting started.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    apple needs to restructure the pricing to less than 1/2 of the current printing and distribution costs. Cheaper subscriptions for all mean more people will subscribe . Popular science for $4 an issue i dont think so . $5 a year and its a no brainer. with no postage or distribution subscriptions should be half of what they are now . Ad in the interactive ads and ad feedback for the advertisors which is non existant in print media and they can give the mags away.

Or they can always say screw apple and distribute to an android tablet for free. !!!!!

so apple needs to scramble before that happens.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbradway View Post

apple needs to restructure the pricing to less than 1/2 of the current printing and distribution costs. Cheaper subscriptions for all mean more people will subscribe . Popular science for $4 an issue i dont think so . $5 a year and its a no brainer. with no postage or distribution subscriptions should be half of what they are now . Ad in the interactive ads and ad feedback for the advertisors which is non existant in print media and they can give the mags away.

Or they can always say screw apple and distribute to an android tablet for free. !!!!!

so apple needs to scramble before that happens.

Apple didn't get to where they are today by being lucky or stupid. They'll find a way. Enlightened greed will keep the pubs from giving their nookie away free just to spite Apple. It's all about volume when it comes to pricing. That, and convenience when it comes to iTunes Store-type distribution. Droid ("the steaming pile of Does") is not a threat in the short or long run. There's plenty to go around and Apple has lots of experience sharing the market. It's Microsoft and Google who think world dominance is the only way to survive and make a buck. Apple has done quite well over the years being a minority player.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellaclose View Post

With 4.2

In November

Man that would be nice!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Set it up as a new App: Newsstand

When people download newsstand, they fill out a general demographics questionnaire (how old are you, how many children in your household, level of education, income range) that is standard basic demographic stuff. Some people will not fill it out correctly, some will. Some will skip it altogether.

Every user that buys either an issue or a subscription to a magazine gets a copy of that questionnaire, anonymized of course.

That allows the publishers to tailor their advertising if they want to do the ad sales themselves with this stuff.

If not, they get to use iAds. And for iAds on Newsstand, there are a bunch of print standard advertising sizes, interactive as they want to be, and an iAds area where advertisers can buy iAds on specific publications, regions, etc just like Google adsense. So a local grocery store in Seattle could buy an ad for all newspapers and magazines printed for the Seattle area, and pay per copy downloaded. And the ads are permanent, just like print ads. Also- for newsstand, Apple takes a smaller cut by like 10% to 15% of the advertising revenue.

So now an advertiser can reach everyone they want to, it is up to the advertiser to format their ads to be the appropriate size, and they pay per issue sold. One user buys one copy of the Seattle times- that is one ad sold.

Publishers set their advertising rates per publication, so Sports Illustrated may cost $20 an issue downloaded, whereas the Deming Headlight newspaper may cost 10 cents. And if they do not want to use the iAds system, they can input their own damn ads in the spaces in their publication- for example, newspapers that are just too small to attract iAds advertisers or something, if that ever happens.

Apple also takes like 20% of every content (subscription, single issue etc.) transaction performed in Newsstand.

Apple- let's get this show on the road! It's the reason I have not bought an iPad yet- and the reason the iPad was made!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Should have been there since launch. And as I said earlier don't fragment the itunes marketplace. I think having music store, app store and book store is more then enough. If iTunes can be for both music AND movies, why not have iBooks be both for books AND magazines.