Google: no comment on resubmitting official Voice app for iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Wow, this news story has absolutely ZERO new news! What a waste!

And it will get many, many hits and responses. More than the average, by far.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

There's precious little logic to your assumption that Google engineers don't have feelings. Don't overthink my comment. If you worked for Google, I'm sure you'd be a little frustrated with how this whole process played out.

Actually it is business. Developer feelings has no place in trying to compete as a business. Just look at Adobe. Right after Apple revised their stance, Adobe decided to add back in the tool to convert Flash to Cocoa for developers that use Flash.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That is not only NOT why it was rejected it would be quite impossible for their app to remove and replace Apple core elements.

Well let me tell you how GV works on my Droid. The GV SMS msgs are listed apart from my regular msgs but when I want to dial out using GV I use the stock dialer like I would a regular call. Domestic calls use cellular minutes. There was a loop hole people were using to make free calls but that was fixed. They do make a lil bit of money on international phone calls which are priced very competitively. I can set up GV to handle all my calls, handle none, ask if I want to use GV, or for international calls only. Although they 3td party apps look decent I'm sure Google will try again, and for you iPhone users sake I hope so your missing out on a sweet service.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    No real point of doing that, since HTML5 version does the trick pretty well. The only reason I would want their app if I was able to make a call right form the application (like gmail calling), at which point a dedicated app would make the process a bit easier and simpler.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

Actually it is business. Developer feelings has no place in trying to compete as a business. Just look at Adobe. Right after Apple revised their stance, Adobe decided to add back in the tool to convert Flash to Cocoa for developers that use Flash.

What does that have to do with anything I said? I never said Google wouldn't submit a native app to the app store, I said I can see why they would have little desire to do so. Much like me with work, I have little desire to go, but I still go.

In case you haven't figured out why I said that in the first place, just read their quote:

Quote:

"We currently offer Google Voice mobile apps for Blackberry and Android, and we offer an HTML5 web app for the iPhone," a Google spokesperson said. "We have nothing further to announce at this time."

That tells me all I need to know about how they feel about the situation. The web app was what their iPhone development time went into, and being expected to immediately produce a native app now that Apple changed their approval standards is a little annoying. By bringing the Android and BB apps into the statement, they were putting the webapp on an equal footing as those. It's the the polite way of saying "the web app is your iPhone app (for now), now f*** off."

I never made any statements about what I thought Google would do, and I said to not over think my comment in my last statement, yet here I am explaining that how you feel about something and what you must do don't always match up perfectly.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

So you're assuming that the Oracle lawsuit is going to be serious trouble for Google?

And beyond the assumption above, that this is motivation for the answer here?

That's a big stretch...

Either the lawsuit is serious enough or not, there's no need for Google to put more efforts on an official iOS GV app when they already put their resources to develop cross platform compatible html5 WebApp.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well let me tell you how GV works on my Droid. The GV SMS msgs are listed apart from my regular msgs but when I want to dial out using GV I use the stock dialer like I would a regular call. Domestic calls use cellular minutes. There was a loop hole people were using to make free calls but that was fixed. They do make a lil bit of money on international phone calls which are priced very competitively. I can set up GV to handle all my calls, handle none, ask if I want to use GV, or for international calls only. Although they 3td party apps look decent I'm sure Google will try again, and for you iPhone users sake I hope so your missing out on a sweet service.

Thanks, I am aware of how it works. Until recently, I had unlimited incoming calls on my plan, so the GV callback dialing would have been perfect for me. I just added unlimited North American calling for $2 extra, so GV isn't as valuable to me from a cost savings point of view, but it would still be a nice service for call management. For anyone on a carrier that charges extra for VVM (mine charges $8) it would also help them save that extra fee. GV hasn't started issuing Canadian phone numbers yet anyway, so it still isn't going to do much for me.

My post was mainly in response to someone that posted that the GV app was rejected because it actually replaced core iOS functions, which of course it did not. Apple's letter to the FCC used that language, which the chose very carefully to imply this. But the reality is that it 'replaced' the iOS phone app in the same way you might say you installed Safari and it now replaces IE for you. of course IE is still there, but you are using Safari as a replacement browser. There were actually heated debates here at the time, where some people were claiming it actually replaced the built in apps. How they thought Google could force the Apple installer to remove and replace first party apps is beyond me. I think they knew this was BS but wanted to try spreading FUD about GV. Either that or they should probably not be discussing things they don't have the faintest clue about.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

No real point of doing that, since HTML5 version does the trick pretty well. The only reason I would want their app if I was able to make a call right form the application (like gmail calling), at which point a dedicated app would make the process a bit easier and simpler.

Well, they did buy a VOIP client company, so it is very possible the could roll that into any new GV client. Beyond that, being able to access your local contact list is a major convenience that the webapp does not have. Having to constantly sync your Mac/PC to GMail and is much more cumbersome. Responsiveness native app would also be better. Built in push notifications for SMS and for voicemail would make it even better.

They did put effort into the webapp, but it was intended as a stopgap measure because of the native app being rejected. They have native apps for the other major platforms and continue to update them instead of letting them idle, even though the webapp is available. Similarly, they have a completed iOS app, which simply needs to be updated and resubmitted.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

And it is a business run by people. People can be pissy. People can be spiteful. People can make choices. Any of these could lead them to choose not to resubmit or to delay the resubmission. I think they will resubmit. But they might not.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

Either the lawsuit is serious enough or not, there's no need for Google to put more efforts on an official iOS GV app when they already put their resources to develop cross platform compatible html5 WebApp.

Sure there is. The experience is not the same.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    official google voice app would be nice, but I really want the updated maps app with turn-by-turn directions using street view.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    I wish they would release one. I'm prolly going to buy Sean Kovacs one today though. He seems to give good customer service. I bought his before it was taken off the store.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

It seems pretty obvious Apple blocked competing VoIP while they developed FaceTime, knowing that once Skype or Google became the standard, it would be difficult to uproot them.

Google Voice is not a VoIP service.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post

Google Voice is not a VoIP service.

So what is the service?