RIM could unveil its answer to Apple's iPad next week

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Not quite. The concept of the iPad has impressed businesses so much that many of them are thinking of deploying them. But IT departments would have more trouble managing the different iPad and BlackBerry OSes. (BlackBerry has ~60% enterprise marketshare) BlackPad/BlackBerry integration (and the benefits to IT that go along with it) may be enough to make BlackPad a serious contender in the enterprise field. There is a market for this tablet.

Because the enterprise has to pay RIM for both OTA services as well as the BES servers (and maintenance contracts), native integration of iOS with Exchange is a huge budget win. Almost every Fortune 50 company is working on iOS integration, and a high number of Fortune 100 companies are considering it. Remember also that RIM has had some splash-worthy system outages in the last couple of years, which bled off it's reliability claims. Given budget-tightening and ease of integration, RIM is right to be concerned.
  • Reply 142 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Earlier in this thread there were a few comments discussing if the iPad is too big for medical personnel.

Part of the discussion was whether the iPad would fit in the pockets of scrubs or lab coats.

My preliminary feedback from a student at a medical high school -- for scrubs, no livin' way!

I still don't know if a 7" would work in scrubs -- and don't know if either size would work in lab coats.

I wonder what the medicall facilities adopting the iPad are doing?

I need a no-hands iPad carry solution -- got my dayghter to agree to make me an underarm quick-access holster.

Maybe, I'll be the first iPad slinger!

Does a legal pad-sized clipboard fit in the pocket of scrubs or a lab coat?
  • Reply 143 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Earlier in this thread there were a few comments discussing if the iPad is too big for medical personnel.

Part of the discussion was whether the iPad would fit in the pockets of scrubs or lab coats.

My preliminary feedback from a student at a medical high school -- for scrubs, no livin' way!

I still don't know if a 7" would work in scrubs -- and don't know if either size would work in lab coats.

I wonder what the medicall facilities adopting the iPad are doing?

I need a no-hands iPad carry solution -- got my daughter to agree to make me an underarm quick-access holster.

Maybe, I'll be the first iPad slinger!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've been stating that since it was introduced. Even if they wanted the Apple product physics could make these smaller tablets running mobile OSes more viable.

Because of this I can see Apple creating a smaller tablet, but that would also mean a new UI for iOS, a new export option in the SDK and a separate area for the App Store. Besides the fact that all iProds have currently been accounted for, it seems too soon for Apple to add this complexity to it's ecosystem so soon, regardless of well the iPad is selling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

As a replacement for a notebook or even a netbook, which is what they're lugging around in hospitals and doctors' office today, it looks pretty good as is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Does a legal pad-sized clipboard fit in the pocket of scrubs or a lab coat?

I've been giving portability of the iPad a lot of thought -- not just for medical personnel.

Below. I'll use the iPad as a frame of reference as it is the only tangible [of this new generation] tablet available and has specs and a UX that is pretty well understood.

I think a smaller, say 7", lighter iPad would be be better in some ways -- it certainly would be more "pocketable". But you would lose some of the magic provided by the large screen -- the show and tell magic, if you will.

But, then, I think the current iPad size isn't significant enough to really matter -- in the larger scheme of things.

It is what you can do with it [the form factor] that is so compelling.

Let me see if I can explain what I mean using VisiCalc for comparison. VisiCalc was the driving force behind the adoption of personal computers by business.

Apologies, in advance -- I used some rather big, iPad-size images for illustration.

Here's a VisiCalc screen -- the magic of 1978:

This spread sheet program would run on an Apple ][ with 32K Bytes of RAM -- yes, I said 32 kilobytes, not megabytes.

It was slow, klunky, limited, and kind of ugly.

It was sorta' like the worst sex you ever had... fantastic!

Just look at that display: 20 rows and 4 columns. Sure it was scrollable, and AIR, had a capacity of 255 x 255 rows and columns.

It had very few built-in formulae, and minimal formatting capability.

If your data was too large, you split it into multiple spread sheets.

If it couldn't do everything you wanted, you compensated with a manual work-around.

The point is that the limitations didn't really matter, it was what you could do that was so compelling.

Now here's an iPad display:

The iPad displays a beautiful, high-resolution, color image that a brain surgeon might show to his patient-- it could just as easily be an XRay or other scan.

The image is almost a living thing -- it can be rotated, zoomed, annotated, sections hidden or highlighted, searched, documented in detail...

The doctor can view it side-by-side with you, the patient. He can manipulate and explain it in whatever level of detail you require.

The doctor has the magic of your brain in his hands -- does it really matter that he can't put it in his pocket?

• Reply 144 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Here's the latest that they have announced:

The UI appears distorted (stretched horizontally) in this image.