brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    FOR ALL THE ;ITTLE SILLY PEOPLE here today

if verizon gets the iphone

i will scream with MF joy !!!!!

yeaaaa basbay

yeaaaaa !!! babay

baby

yea

a flood of orders will put smiles on VZ faces !!!!

I am smiling so hard right now my face hurts .

go apple

go VZ

YOU trolls can keep AI
  • Reply 42 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Or controlling the repairs and call center for the device. I'm sure there are other issues, like Verizon apps as native and non-removable, and getting a kickback from all iTunes Store and App Store purchases made over their network.

Now that you mention it, it is quite funny how Apple loves sticking their hands in other people's pockets(music industry, TV and now the print media) but heavens forbid anyone try to stick their hands in Apple's pocket. I'm not hating just an observation.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Sorry that I don't know this, but does anyone think it will possible to use CDMA iPhones on Virgin Mobile's network with a jailbreak or hack?
  • Reply 44 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

Sorry that I don't know this, but does anyone think it will possible to use CDMA iPhones on Virgin Mobile's network with a jailbreak or hack?

It's called flashing. Metro PCS does it to VZW phones in certain states.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russgriz View Post

Otherwise, relax. Or did someone hit a nerve with you?

With very few exceptions, everyone here hits a nerve with me.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, but I think Verizon has learned its lesson in the last 3-4 years....Verizon is another example of short-sighted CEO missing the boat!

WHAT???????

Verizon most certainly hasn't learned their lesson. Look at the Android phones they sell. ALL of them are branded and use custom interface screens. ALL of them have certain features disabled/crippled in favor of Verizon's own overpriced crap. Much of it stuff available for free elsewhere with the same phone and unadulterated firmware.

I sincerely hope Apple tells Verizon to pound sand if they start making the same demands of Apple.

I will not ever use an iPhone that has been crippled in any way by a cell phone carrier.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    A new iPhone with CDMA/GSM/Wi-Max/LTE all built into it (if possible) would mean it could be opened up to every US carrier, be future ready and let me stay on Sprint and not have to suck AT&T's cock ALso, as stated above previously, CDMA has had an updated tech available since last fall that will allow simultaneous voice and data. If VZW and Sprint want to be able to have the iPhone (or even just offer this as a new feature to their network) they would need to upgrade, which they likely have done
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's called flashing. Metro PCS does it to VZW phones in certain states.

Thanks... I'm reading up on it now!
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:

If Apple is still selling all the iPhones it can make then what is the point of breaking the contract with AT&T early to add another US carrier?

That's a really good point. After all these months, the iPhone is still shipping in three weeks. And a white iPhone is still no where to be found. If Apple can't execute what they already have on their plate, whats the point of going after the Android market?

As a hardware manufacturer, Apple is better off staying what they are, a small niche market. They are not nearly ready to complete with real companies.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And what lesson is that? They're still the #1 carrier although not by much and doing quite well selling the line of Droid phones. And for the record VZW did not turn down the iPhone, the two sides just didn't give into the other's demands. Apple and VZW turned each other down.

As much as I can agree with that, in reality it was most likely SJ willingness to walk away form the table that screw VZ. But your right this allowed VZ to continually over charge their customers for less features and service (leaving out the whole network debate)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jax44 View Post

While a Verizon iPhone would help sales, I don't know if Apple and Verizon can come to an agreement. Verizon loves to load up their garbage on phones. CDMA versions could be for China/Sprint.

It will be interesting to see what if any a deal would look like. If VZ caves and allow the Iphone to exist as it does on ever other network, this could cause problem for other VZ phone suppliers since they may attempt to get similar deals. The fact the iphone does not exist on VZ allowed the provider to dictate terms. This could change things and VZ could become a fat dumb cheap pipe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

It says a lot about this guys grasp of technology!

I wonder how these guys stay in a job, they make prediction and convince people to invest on bad information. The problem is any one can make money on Apple, imagine if this guy try and predict this for RIM or someone other company.
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

WHAT???????

Verizon most certainly hasn't learned their lesson. Look at the Android phones they sell. ALL of them are branded and use custom interface screens. ALL of them have certain features disabled/crippled in favor of Verizon's own overpriced crap. Much of it stuff available for free elsewhere with the same phone and unadulterated firmware.

I sincerely hope Apple tells Verizon to pound sand if they start making the same demands of Apple.

I will not ever use an iPhone that has been crippled in any way by a cell phone carrier.

That's not entirely true. The Droid 1 and the HTC Incredible are pretty much untouched and uncrippled by VZW except for the branding and their lil tab in the market which only has about 6-7 apps that are solely VZWs. If they were able to agree with Moto and HTC on certain conditions I don't see why they wouldn't with Apple. I think the price is the biggest hurdle right now. Apple will want to keep their high margin while VZW will want it for less.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:

Anyone can get out of a contract, the point of it is to make it more viable to remain in it. If Apple is still selling all the iPhones it can make then what is the point of breaking the contract with AT&T early to add another US carrier? That would likely be a financially stupid move. I trust both Apple and AT&T to work in ways to benefit their bottom line, not reduce it.

I think we see Apple's goals (or what we believe Apple's goals should be) differently. I think they should do everything they can (with reason of course) to blunt Android and even MS. If that means taking lower margins on sales of phones, so be it. With 2-3% of total phone sales, they still account for almost 40% of the profit. From what I have seen, you believe Apple should follow their Mac strategy - take the cream of the crop and let HTC and Samsung fight over the scraps. Both strategies have some merit, I'll give you that. But if 11 million phones a quarter is all Apple can profitably make, then as the smart phone market balloons they will find themselves with a smaller and smaller piece of the pie. It will probably continue to be very profitable, but small. In my opinion, this would not be the best allocation of Apple's resources given the alternatives.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henderson101 View Post

No one what-so-ever outside of the US. GSM is the world standard. Even in places that use CDMA, the iPhone tends to be available on UTMS/HSDPA (the GSM 3G standard.) Really, Apple will pick up some users in the US, but outside of the US the validity of a CDMA device is pretty shakey. We don't even *have* CDMA networks in Europe. Your CDMA phones are therefore "pretty" bricks.

It's rather clear that if most of the world uses GSM then it's rather obvious Apple is not going after that market with a CDMA device. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I think with Verizons near 100 million subscribers, there is plenty of business logic in offering a CDMA phone. Whether a network is technically obsolete is a non-issue when you can't get an ATT signal.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:

I have no idea what point you are getting at. It?s possible they have plenty of CDMA-only phones on their network or that they haven?t decommissioned their CDMA network yet or some other reason. Regardless, it?s moot to the point I made. I guess we could also ask why any network offers ?2G? in areas they have ?3G?.
    Fact: The iPhone only has GSM and UMTS cellular radios.

Fact: The S. Korean iPhone does not have CDMA for ?2G? and UMTS for ?3G?.

Fact: The iPhone does not have CDMA or CDMA2000 cellular radios.

Fact: The iPhone is highly successful in S. Korea.
    Based on the comments you are making it sounds like you don?t think the iPhone could function or flourish there, yet it has. Hence my point that using only the CDMA subscribers as a metric for determining the value of a CDMA-based iPhone is erroneous when there are plenty of networks that ONLY use CDMA for ?2G? and UMTS for ?3G?.

PS: Are you expecting a CDMA/UMTS iPhone to arrive alongside a CDMA/CDM2000? I don?t see that as needed and wouldn?t bet on that happening when a GSM/UMTS iPhone has proven to more than sufficient on networks with CDMA/UMTS.

The point of the AI article is that your first "fact" may not be a fact much longer. Isn't that what generated the discussion?
  • Reply 55 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

I think that we need to drop the whole "troll" moniker and assign commenters who are continuously fixated like this to a merrier role - like "court jester" - perhaps. That way they can continue to be rude and vulgar and contrary - and the rest of us can enjoy it as humorous nonsense instead a badly delivered attempt at derision. We could even have a little jester hat to flag with - instead of, or in addition to the ignore list!

Sir your a genius

• Reply 56 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

WHAT???????

Umm... Where are you getting this idea that all Android phones on Verizon are crippled?

The only phone so far on Verizon that is "crippled" in any way is the Galaxy S (Fascinate) that uses Bing services by default. That will quickly go away once the 2.2 update is rolled out. And the ones who don't want to wait until then can easily find solutions to get around it online.

Other than that, Verizon has done zero to stand in the way of Android phones having features that rival their own paid services. Take Google Nav for instance. ALL of the Android phones on Verizon have access to Nav, even when VZ Nav is still available as an option. And the Market. Verizon has their own app market, but all Android phones still have access to the official Android Market. Then there's Google Voice, which is a free replacement to Verizon's Visual Voicemail, that all Android phones are allowed to install and use.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

Hard to say. According to the media, millions are waiting. According to the Apple Insider forum, few will switch because AT&T's service is terrific, just like the outside antenna that picks it up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh;

Did I say something rude and vulgar and contrary? If I did then I missed it. If you have an issue with something specific I said, then let's discuss it. That's the point of this forum. Otherwise you are the one who is rude with your intolerance of other opinions.

Oh, and if you want to call me a court jester, thats fine. So long as you don't call me a fanboi.

As in your post above in bold. There is no attempt to discuss the issue, contribute anything, and the post is clearly insubstantial and intended purely to provoke. The post IMO can be considered vulgar and contrary.
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

With very few exceptions, everyone here hits a nerve with me.

I think you've just incriminated yourself.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

You mention the fact that you can't use your CDMA phone in Europe, and that's true. But unless you want to pay massive roaming charges to AT&T or jailbreak your iPhone, you might as well have a CDMA iPhone right now, because the solution is the same: get a disposable prepaid phone in Europe once you get there.

That's not quite accurate. AT&T has international data plans that aren't too bad for short stays and they prorate the usage. (The call plans weren't that great - I think it was only a 30% discount as compared with normal roaming charges.) I went to London some months back and when I got back, I cancelled the extra coverage. They charged me only for the days I used. I thought that was very fair. And for the record, my iPhone 3G worked spectacularly in London - the 3G service was very fast and the phone even worked on most of the underground trains.

I've sworn all along that I would switch back to Verizon once a CDMA iPhone was available, but the fact is that AT&T service has gotten much better (in NYC) over the last six months and now I'm not sure I would switch, especially if you can't talk and search the web at the same time. While Verizon would probably be able to provide better service initially, if a great many users migrated to their services, they'd probably have the same problems AT&T had in high usage areas. Over the summer, I was on Cape Cod for a week and I had pretty good (although not perfect) coverage there as well. And on most of the I95 corridor, I was able to sue the Maps application without any coverage issues.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Let's back off on the sniping.

If you don't like the comment, don't use it as a justification to attack the poster. If it's truly offensive (profanity, insulting another user, etc.) report it. If you use a comment you dislike as a spring board for vigilante reciprocity, you are guilty too.

And please try to stick to the topic of the article.